MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things you should be keeping in mind ... Rossclot General Discussion 3 04-26-2010 11:41 AM
Keeping bugs outta the house. lawleypop General Discussion 45 10-03-2009 12:35 PM
Keeping in Touch, with a Mac. goodnews.inc General Discussion 18 07-19-2009 12:11 AM
Keeping in Touch with Your Representatives - The SRA Blog casey.park MacInsiders Announcements 4 05-16-2009 01:03 PM

Am I keeping my options open?!?!

Old 07-07-2009 at 11:47 AM   #1
jimimusic

Liked: 11 Times

Am I keeping my options open?!?!
Okay, so I kinda rushed my course selection thing last minute last week, and this is what I came up and currently registed as. (by the way, i'm going into the life sci program, please comment on my course selections in terms of whether i am keeping my options open...?)

BIOLOGY 1A03
BIOLOGY 1M03
CHEM 1AA3
CHEM 1A03
CHINESE 1ZZ6
ENVIR SC 1B03
MATH 1LS3
PHYSICS 1L03
PSYCH 1X03
SCIENCE 1A00

So I mainly have two concerns. One being Math 1LS3 vs 1A03. I have taken Advanced Function along with Calculas this year and got mid 70s for both of them. Just like everyone else, I hate math, so I deicided to go for the baby calculas, which I've heard is easier. But I just want to if that's gonna affect my choices in my upper years and I feel like I'm sort of limiting my options. Is that the case? I am planning to pursue a career involving either optometry, dentistry or pharmacy. So I'm sorting thinking if I should take the 1AO3 instead of the 1LS3.. Also, my other concern is the Chinese 1ZZ6 that I took. I kinda deicded my electives last minute when i saw this course on solar while registering. (yeah I'm kind of last minute) But I'm starting to regret, cause I feel like I might be limiting my options as this course does take up 2 of my spaces. However, by taking this course, I feel like I can get easy high marks since I am chinese but struggles a bit in reading and writing. Last day of changing my courses is approaching, I hope to get some advices as to what other electives I should choose if I do drop chinese, or if I should should stick with it, cause it really doesn't matter? I was thinkin about inquiry(i heard it's easy) or some kind of social science course. Also, I've been looking all over for the graudating requirements for life sci, like the courses I need to graduate. But I can't find it, do you know where i can find that? Cause I was thinkin if I should be fullfilling those requirement first instead of taking chinese, which is a 2 credit course.

I would really appreciate any sort of help. Thank you sooooo much.
Old 07-07-2009 at 11:58 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimimusic View Post
Okay, so I kinda rushed my course selection thing last minute last week, and this is what I came up and currently registed as. (by the way, i'm going into the life sci program, please comment on my course selections in terms of whether i am keeping my options open...?)

BIOLOGY 1A03
BIOLOGY 1M03
CHEM 1AA3
CHEM 1A03
CHINESE 1ZZ6
ENVIR SC 1B03
MATH 1LS3
PHYSICS 1L03
PSYCH 1X03
SCIENCE 1A00

So I mainly have two concerns. One being Math 1LS3 vs 1A03. I have taken Advanced Function along with Calculas this year and got mid 70s for both of them. Just like everyone else, I hate math, so I deicided to go for the baby calculas, which I've heard is easier. But I just want to if that's gonna affect my choices in my upper years and I feel like I'm sort of limiting my options. Is that the case? I am planning to pursue a career involving either optometry, dentistry or pharmacy. So I'm sorting thinking if I should take the 1AO3 instead of the 1LS3.. Also, my other concern is the Chinese 1ZZ6 that I took. I kinda deicded my electives last minute when i saw this course on solar while registering. (yeah I'm kind of last minute) But I'm starting to regret, cause I feel like I might be limiting my options as this course does take up 2 of my spaces. However, by taking this course, I feel like I can get easy high marks since I am chinese but struggles a bit in reading and writing. Last day of changing my courses is approaching, I hope to get some advices as to what other electives I should choose if I do drop chinese, or if I should should stick with it, cause it really doesn't matter? I was thinkin about inquiry(i heard it's easy) or some kind of social science course. Also, I've been looking all over for the graudating requirements for life sci, like the courses I need to graduate. But I can't find it, do you know where i can find that? Cause I was thinkin if I should be fullfilling those requirement first instead of taking chinese, which is a 2 credit course.

Optometry requires a year of calculus. I'm unsure if Math 1LS3 is an eligible course, you'll have to contact each optometry school you wish to attend to confirm eligibility.

Generally people take Math 1LS3 because they don't particularly like math and are not planning to pursue the subject further.

As for electives, I would choose whatever interests you. A course that you have completely no interest in can be as bad as what some people think are "hard courses".

For the Honours Life Science: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1957.html
Old 07-07-2009 at 01:05 PM   #3
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:

BIOLOGY 1A03
BIOLOGY 1M03
CHEM 1AA3
CHEM 1A03
CHINESE 1ZZ6
ENVIR SC 1B03
MATH 1LS3
PHYSICS 1L03
PSYCH 1X03
SCIENCE 1A00

Hey I noticed that you were not taking psych 1xx3... Not sure if you new this or not but the requirements for 2010 admission to Honours life science are changing to include 12 units from bio 1a03, 1mo3, psych 1x03 and psych 1xx3. (Basically you have to take all 4).

I don't know if you are going to apply for Honours Life Science for 2nd year but just something to keep in mind.
Old 07-07-2009 at 01:51 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
Hey I noticed that you were not taking psych 1xx3... Not sure if you new this or not but the requirements for 2010 admission to Honours life science are changing to include 12 units from bio 1a03, 1mo3, psych 1x03 and psych 1xx3. (Basically you have to take all 4).

I don't know if you are going to apply for Honours Life Science for 2nd year but just something to keep in mind.
Oh wow, I never noticed that. That's good to know.
Old 07-07-2009 at 09:14 PM   #5
jimimusic

Oh wait... So the Psych 1xx3 is basically manditory in order for me to graduate then? I guess I should probably change the enviornmental to psych 1xx3 then..? Since I'm taking the enviornmental cuz i'm forced to choose something from the life sci list.. So you're basically saying that I have to change it..? please let me know asap so i can change it before thursday
Old 07-07-2009 at 09:16 PM   #6
jimimusic

Um.. I guess chinese would sort of interesting for me and easy at the same time... But what I'm concerned about is whether i'm limiting my options in terms of not having enough prerequisites for future courses... What do you think?
Old 07-07-2009 at 09:17 PM   #7
sinthusized
Elite Member

Quote:
Oh wait... So the Psych 1xx3 is basically manditory in order for me to graduate then? I guess I should probably change the enviornmental to psych 1xx3 then..? Since I'm taking the enviornmental cuz i'm forced to choose something from the life sci list.. So you're basically saying that I have to change it..? please let me know asap so i can change it before thursday

hey no for second year you have to pick a program and if you chose to go to honours life science (as some do, for most people, it's their fall back for not getting into their program choices), you need to have the second psych. If you have no plans to go into honours life science, then it should be fine to not take psych 1xx3. If you do and want to keep Chinese, maybe exchange the environmental sci. course with psych?

Last edited by sinthusized : 07-07-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-07-2009 at 09:19 PM   #8
mcinside
Elite Member

Liked: 23 Times

OK. One, congrats into getting into Chinnese because I know for a fact that that course filled up quickly.
Second Psych is not mandatory for you to graduate. Check out this website
http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/~as...qs_handout.pdf
this gives you all your second year options
Old 07-07-2009 at 09:26 PM   #9
sinthusized
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcinside View Post
OK. One, congrats into getting into Chinnese because I know for a fact that that course filled up quickly.
Second Psych is not mandatory for you to graduate. Check out this website
http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/~associatedean/newstudents/START/reqs_handout.pdf
this gives you all your second year options
Good link.. okay basically, look at the level 2 programs you are interested in.. and just make sure you have the courses required for those programs... you are good for most
Old 07-07-2009 at 09:32 PM   #10
mcinside
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
Good link.. okay basically, look at the level 2 programs you are interested in.. and just make sure you have the courses required for those programs... you are good for most
Yup. I think only the Honours Life and Honour Psychology programs requires the Psych 1XX3
Old 07-07-2009 at 09:40 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

It's always good to keep your options open, but you should also have an idea of which programs you'll consider for next year
Old 07-07-2009 at 09:44 PM   #12
mcinside
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
It's always good to keep your options open, but you should also have an idea of which programs you'll consider for next year
Exactly
Old 07-07-2009 at 10:31 PM   #13
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcinside View Post
Exactly
I'm starting to think of mine now.. and I narrowed them down to about.. hmm 3 majors.. But then again I tend to change my mind
Old 07-07-2009 at 10:33 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I'm starting to think of mine now.. and I narrowed them down to about.. hmm 3 majors.. But then again I tend to change my mind
3 is good. I'm pretty sure you can apply to more than 3... That was last year anyways.
Old 07-08-2009 at 09:23 AM   #15
jimimusic

Hey, thx for the link... Can you tell me some of the popular programs that people usually go for? I'm a little bit unprepared about everything -_-