MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things you should be keeping in mind ... Rossclot General Discussion 3 04-26-2010 11:41 AM
Keeping in Touch, with a Mac. goodnews.inc General Discussion 18 07-19-2009 12:11 AM
Am I keeping my options open?!?! jimimusic First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 30 07-09-2009 09:53 PM
Keeping in Touch with Your Representatives - The SRA Blog casey.park MacInsiders Announcements 4 05-16-2009 01:03 PM

Keeping bugs outta the house.

Old 09-18-2009 at 06:49 AM   #1
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Keeping bugs outta the house.
Kay so. I need advice on how to keep bugs out of the house. There's another trillion legged monster in my bathroom. >_< It's probably inevitable that bugs come in, but are there any strategies to minimize the amount that come in? Because I spray Raid religiously and it's not doing shit. :S

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-18-2009 at 06:56 AM   #2
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Right now there's not much that can really be done... it's getting colder outside and bugs are going to look for warmer places to live.

This is especially true for people who live in older homes which may need some work/upkeep (like student houses for example)... these homes are more likely to have entrances for pests (such as cracks in the foundation, damaged caulking, etc)

My advice is to try to endure it until mid-to-late fall when the insects begin their winter hibernation. Being an employee for Orkin pest control, I can also tell you that purchasing pest control services for this would be quite expensive and probably not too effective for the reasons I've listed above.
Old 09-18-2009 at 07:40 AM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Omgosh. There's been tons of bugs coming in lately at my apartment too. I have to scream at my roomate to throw it outside. Don't get me wrong, I'd Raid that shit, but my roommate is all insect-friendly. >.>

I figured they are looking for warmer places, but damn, why my place? :( I suggest keeping up with the raid, spraying it by your door bottoms and windows and baseboards... and trying to stick it out until winter arrives.
Old 09-18-2009 at 07:54 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

read this: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1827 9

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-18-2009 at 09:35 AM   #5
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

bugs... you gotta love them!
Old 09-18-2009 at 09:39 AM   #6
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
And you really should.... they serve a purpose, and it's a never-ending fight to get rid of them. I think people should just learn to accept them, and just remove them when they appear, since they'll never go away for good... it would save so many people a lot of money and stress.
Old 09-18-2009 at 10:00 AM   #7
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
And you really should.... they serve a purpose, and it's a never-ending fight to get rid of them. I think people should just learn to accept them, and just remove them when they appear, since they'll never go away for good... it would save so many people a lot of money and stress.
I don't wanna kill them, I just want them NOT IN MY HOUSE.

People are more than welcome to carry them outside. =P

Old 09-18-2009 at 10:05 AM   #8
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
Yep, bugs are awesome. Especially the multi legged ones

Old 09-18-2009 at 11:41 AM   #9
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Kay so. I need advice on how to keep bugs out of the house. There's another trillion legged monster in my bathroom. >_< It's probably inevitable that bugs come in, but are there any strategies to minimize the amount that come in? Because I spray Raid religiously and it's not doing shit. :S
If you're referring to centipedes, they are inevitable, unfortunately. They come for warmth, not food. So there's really no way to keep them out.
Old 09-18-2009 at 12:06 PM   #10
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

No way man, they are a part of life, but I can't stand them. I was never able to sleep in my bedroom if I saw a bug in there (even if my mother or brother killed it).
Old 09-18-2009 at 12:11 PM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
No way man, they are a part of life, but I can't stand them. I was never able to sleep in my bedroom if I saw a bug in there (even if my mother or brother killed it).
Same.

I dunno what it is about bugs. It's my only fear. I have no problem jumping off a friggin bridge, but show me a bug the size of a crumb and I crap my pants.

Old 09-18-2009 at 02:17 PM   #12
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

In reference to the other article because posting is closed on it.
Diatomous earth does work but most effectively on gastropods such as slugs and snails because they slide along the ground causing much more severe cutting and desiccation compared to insects because of their legs.
The best thing to do about mosquito bites is never scratch it. Scratching releases histamines which causes it to itch. They go away quite quickly if you never scratch them. Coming from my boss who in his research would have to feed his mosquitoes with his own arm so he would have a 3 or 4 inch long mosquito bite on his forearm. Oh crazy Andy.
Ontario also has a much more difficult problem with mosquitoes because your storm water catch basins are warm enough to support larval development and sadly you cant really empty those out because they are big and underground. But you can always pester your local mosquito control program to do something about it. Most likely using altosid briquettes as a control method. (It's a mosquito growth regulator that is completely harmless to everything else and is therefore safe and wont affect the storm water runoff).
Although the season is now over mostly there are some options for ant control that are chemical free, but like everything not quite as effective as raid. The first is corn meal. The ants will eat it and then it starts to expand in there stomach so their insides explode. The other option is if you can locate the main part of their nest. Push a long screw driver down into it about 6-8 inches and make a bit of a hole, then pour boiling water down said hole. If you are lucky and picked the right spot you will be able to kill the queen therefore killing the colony.
Sorry I dont know more about the real disgusting bugs (centipedes, silverfish) but where I am from its too cold in the winter so they don't live in Calgary. Muahahah and therefore I have not learnt the green IPM methods.
And I wouldnt be a good former employee of IPM without mentioning overseeding and grass cycling to keep the dandelions away.
My barely useful and mostly off topic rant is now over
Old 09-18-2009 at 03:17 PM   #13
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

For centipedes, it might help to have a de-humidifier because they love damp air.

Make sure you do your dishes and clean often, bugs like dirty things and crumbs.
Old 09-18-2009 at 04:33 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
In reference to the other article because posting is closed on it.
Diatomous earth does work but most effectively on gastropods such as slugs and snails because they slide along the ground causing much more severe cutting and desiccation compared to insects because of their legs.
The best thing to do about mosquito bites is never scratch it. Scratching releases histamines which causes it to itch. They go away quite quickly if you never scratch them. Coming from my boss who in his research would have to feed his mosquitoes with his own arm so he would have a 3 or 4 inch long mosquito bite on his forearm. Oh crazy Andy.
Ontario also has a much more difficult problem with mosquitoes because your storm water catch basins are warm enough to support larval development and sadly you cant really empty those out because they are big and underground. But you can always pester your local mosquito control program to do something about it. Most likely using altosid briquettes as a control method. (It's a mosquito growth regulator that is completely harmless to everything else and is therefore safe and wont affect the storm water runoff).
Although the season is now over mostly there are some options for ant control that are chemical free, but like everything not quite as effective as raid. The first is corn meal. The ants will eat it and then it starts to expand in there stomach so their insides explode. The other option is if you can locate the main part of their nest. Push a long screw driver down into it about 6-8 inches and make a bit of a hole, then pour boiling water down said hole. If you are lucky and picked the right spot you will be able to kill the queen therefore killing the colony.
Sorry I dont know more about the real disgusting bugs (centipedes, silverfish) but where I am from its too cold in the winter so they don't live in Calgary. Muahahah and therefore I have not learnt the green IPM methods.
And I wouldnt be a good former employee of IPM without mentioning overseeding and grass cycling to keep the dandelions away.
My barely useful and mostly off topic rant is now over
And your said your Bio degree and your summer job would never be of use.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-18-2009 at 04:36 PM   #15
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
For centipedes, it might help to have a de-humidifier because they love damp air.

Make sure you do your dishes and clean often, bugs like dirty things and crumbs.

>_< Unfortunately my roomates suck.

And actually, I think I saw a RED ant the other day. Or a tiny red spider. It was weird.

Just as a funny note: I haven't been in my bathroom all day, and actually showered in someone elses. And plan to do so for a very long time. xD

Edit: Jeff, now that you said silverfish... I googled it, and I think that's what it was. GROSS.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._centipede.jpg

Definitely just gave myself goosebumps. So they're just coming in 'cause it's cold? It's not ;cause we're dirty or anything?

Last edited by lawleypop : 09-18-2009 at 04:40 PM.