MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things you should be keeping in mind ... Rossclot General Discussion 3 04-26-2010 11:41 AM
Keeping bugs outta the house. lawleypop General Discussion 45 10-03-2009 12:35 PM
Keeping in Touch, with a Mac. goodnews.inc General Discussion 18 07-19-2009 12:11 AM
Keeping in Touch with Your Representatives - The SRA Blog casey.park MacInsiders Announcements 4 05-16-2009 01:03 PM

Am I keeping my options open?!?!

Old 07-08-2009 at 12:47 PM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimimusic View Post
Hey, thx for the link... Can you tell me some of the popular programs that people usually go for? I'm a little bit unprepared about everything -_-
Don't go into the popular programs, go into the programs that interest you and if it just so happens to be popular then that's the way it is.

You'll have to look for the programs in the undergraduate calendar:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1466.html

Just click on each department that interests you and you will find all the programs offered by that department.
Old 07-08-2009 at 06:53 PM   #17
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
3 is good. I'm pretty sure you can apply to more than 3... That was last year anyways.
That's good . So if you get into more than one, do you go and confirm which one you want, or is it by descending order? So if you didn't get into your first choice, they take you into the 2nd, etc ??
Old 07-08-2009 at 06:58 PM   #18
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Relax . I didn't pick my program or have an idea of what I wanted to go into until the summer before second year.

Just pick the standard courses (bio, math, physics, chem) and you can always take required courses (like psych) for your program in summer school or in second year.

Quote:
So if you get into more than one, do you go and confirm which one you want, or is it by descending order? So if you didn't get into your first choice, they take you into the 2nd, etc ??
You just have to select which program you want when you register with SOLAR second year. I don't think you rank your choices, you choose which ones you want to apply to and in your grade reports they should tell you which one you got into. As long as you meet the requirements (C.A. and courses) then you'll be accepted. There are some exceptions (like pharmacology which is a 3rd year program).

~*Sara*~ says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 07-08-2009 at 07:06 PM   #19
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Relax . I didn't pick my program or have an idea of what I wanted to go into until the summer before second year.

Just pick the standard courses (bio, math, physics, chem) and you can always take required courses (like psych) for your program in summer school or in second year.

You just have to select which program you want when you register with SOLAR second year. I don't think you rank your choices, you choose which ones you want to apply to and in your grade reports they should tell you which one you got into. As long as you meet the requirements (C.A. and courses) then you'll be accepted. There are some exceptions (like pharmacology which is a 3rd year program).
Thanks a lot for the info
Old 07-08-2009 at 08:22 PM   #20
mcinside
Elite Member

Liked: 23 Times

I believe we get to pick a mximum of 4, which is good
I also agree with jesus- there's alot of time before you really need to start panicking
Old 07-08-2009 at 08:25 PM   #21
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcinside View Post
I also agree with jesus- there's alot of time before you really need to start panicking
Yep, plenty of time! You'll never know what happens between now and when you have to select your program. You could get interested in a subject you've never had an interest in before and you may lose interest in a subject that interested you in the beginning. Things change!
Old 07-08-2009 at 08:43 PM   #22
mcinside
Elite Member

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Yep, plenty of time! You'll never know what happens between now and when you have to select your program. You could get interested in a subject you've never had an interest in before and you may lose interest in a subject that interested you in the beginning. Things change!
Yup, I have a friend in second year who intially wanted to get into something on the field of science but now wants to get into journalism or something. It's kinda scary actually when you think about it. Your whole life practically shifts gear!
Old 07-08-2009 at 09:19 PM   #23
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcinside View Post
Ohh 4 is actually pretty good. Yeh, but you need to have SOME idea of what you want
Old 07-08-2009 at 09:22 PM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Ohh 4 is actually pretty good. Yeh, but you need to have SOME idea of what you want
You'll have an idea by the time you get to selection time.
Old 07-08-2009 at 09:37 PM   #25
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
You'll have an idea by the time you get to selection time.
Definitely
Old 07-09-2009 at 12:09 AM   #26
crucif3x

Liked: 21 Times

sYea... I've been worried about the same thing as well; limiting my options for next year. But basically, your covered if you take something from each science. (I'm in Honours Life Science I too LOL).

If you went to the Academic Orientation thing, they give you a really helpful "map" type handout that really helps out when planning. It's much more helpful than the website IMO which is really ambiguous and confusing...The handout basically tells you what courses you need and what paths you can take for second year.

Here I took a quick pics of it if you want to see it.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/393hx1

Last edited by crucif3x : 07-09-2009 at 04:28 AM.

LBJ.MVP, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to crucif3x for this post.
Old 07-09-2009 at 05:06 PM   #27
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucif3x View Post
sYea... I've been worried about the same thing as well; limiting my options for next year. But basically, your covered if you take something from each science. (I'm in Honours Life Science I too LOL).

If you went to the Academic Orientation thing, they give you a really helpful "map" type handout that really helps out when planning. It's much more helpful than the website IMO which is really ambiguous and confusing...The handout basically tells you what courses you need and what paths you can take for second year.

Here I took a quick pics of it if you want to see it.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/393hx1
Ooooooh thanks a lbunch crucif3x! I'll check it out. It definitely looks more organized!
Old 07-09-2009 at 06:19 PM   #28
LBJ.MVP

Liked: 16 Times

THis really sucks that us newcomers have to take psych 1xx3 for honours LS next year.:(, i heard its painfully boring and such. Im having a really hard time deciding if i should take this as well. its either this or econ ib03 and i know i can ace econ since i already took it in HS. any ideas?
Old 07-09-2009 at 07:32 PM   #29
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

I don't know.. it's online, so it shouldn't be much worse than psych 1x03, which is required anyway
Old 07-09-2009 at 09:03 PM   #30
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ.MVP View Post
THis really sucks that us newcomers have to take psych 1xx3 for honours LS next year.:(, i heard its painfully boring and such. Im having a really hard time deciding if i should take this as well. its either this or econ ib03 and i know i can ace econ since i already took it in HS. any ideas?
It depends if you want to go into Honours Life Science or not...