MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Anthro 2B03 lorend 2nd Year Course Reviews 6 09-09-2013 03:42 PM
Trade Anthro 1A03 2D for Anthro 1Z03 2E DFKMcDonough Academics 6 08-10-2010 05:18 PM
Anthro 2U03 help! **jewel 03** Academics 5 11-03-2009 04:28 PM
Trading Anthro 1A03 1D for Anthro 1A03 2E VoyozooT Academics 0 07-06-2009 01:00 PM
Anthro! haleighfox Academics 15 01-07-2008 09:12 AM

Anthro 2PA3

Anthro 2PA3
Introduction to Prehistoric Archeology
Published by lorend
06-15-2008
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Author review
Overall Rating
60%60%60%
Professor Rating
60%60%60%
Interest
70%70%70%
Easiness
60%60%60%
Average 63%
Anthro 2PA3

One of the mandatory second year courses.

I did not like this course much. 8:30AM lectures where the prof goes waaay too fast to write notes and posts the slides AFTER is not conducive to me being a happy camper.

I liked the actual written material, but really hated what my prof talked about in class, as it was all of her research. I had Dr. Michelaki.

There was a lab component that I kinda sorta liked. By that I mean I liked some of the labs, but hated others. One was learning how to read a map, while one was taking material from a midden and trying to determine what species the bones were from.

There were three lab reports, a midterm, a final and I think participation for this course...I took it in 2005...so I don't really remember...
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Anthro 2PA3!

Old 06-19-2008 at 09:21 PM   #2
jmbauman
Union Market Manager
SRA Member
Program: History
Year: McMaster Employee

Liked: 32 Times
I had the same prof when I took it in Fall/Winter 2007. The material was a bit dull, but at least the classes were in the afternoon and not at 8:30am. Her midterm is crazy hard. Apparently the class average has never been higher than a 60 or something ridiculous like that for the midterm, so watch out.

The labs were a lot of fun, and are pretty easy to do (I'm not an anthro major and still did well in the class). If you're looking for an easy elective, look elsewhere. It's a great course though if you're looking to do a minor in Anthropology because it's a pre-req for a lot of the 3rd year courses
  Reply With Quote Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-19-2008 at 09:35 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
I agree with what you said about the midterm. I don't remember doing too well either.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-25-2009 at 12:20 PM   #4
mnk1988
Year: Third

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinny1 View Post
I had the same prof when I took it in Fall/Winter 2007. The material was a bit dull, but at least the classes were in the afternoon and not at 8:30am. Her midterm is crazy hard. Apparently the class average has never been higher than a 60 or something ridiculous like that for the midterm, so watch out.

The labs were a lot of fun, and are pretty easy to do (I'm not an anthro major and still did well in the class). If you're looking for an easy elective, look elsewhere. It's a great course though if you're looking to do a minor in Anthropology because it's a pre-req for a lot of the 3rd year courses

hi.
I am planning on taking this course in fall 2009. I need it for my archaeology minor. I was wondering how easy/hard is the midterm? Can you get a 12 in this course? Or how easy/hard would it be to do so?
Thanks.

Old 05-27-2009 at 09:54 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
You don't get 12's in anthro courses with the exception of 2G03, period.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-01-2009 at 04:22 PM   #6
mnk1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
You don't get 12's in anthro courses with the exception of 2G03, period.
I have gotten A's in all anthro courses I have taken.....so I was hoping this one wouldn't be overly hard but obviously not a breeze either. Saying you can't get it tends to discourage alot of people. Its different if you can't get it.
Old 06-15-2009 at 07:27 PM   #7
moops
Elite Member
Program: Life Sciences

Liked: 40 Times
I had the same prof too in fall 2008/2009. I agree with you that she talked way too much about her own research. I felt like I really didn't learn anything in the class.

The most interesting part of the course was the lab component. We had the same labs - map reading etc. It was a great way to get to know people.

I definitely wouldn't say that the midterm was hard and neither was the final exam. Personally, just attending class and completing the labs and readings was enough to earn a mark that I was quite satisfied with. That said, I would not say that this is an easy course. It requires a lot of work to do well so I wouldn't recommend it as an easy elective.
Old 05-20-2011 at 02:25 PM   #8
veena_vd
Faculty: Science
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 2 Times
Dr. ORCHARD is teaching this summer. Has anyone had him?
Old 12-08-2012 at 09:45 AM   #9
coolcass88
Program: Life Science
Year: Second

I had Dr. Roddick in Fall 2012, he's such a great prof! If you study hard and read the textbook it's very possible to get a double digit grade in this course. However, the TAs are useless but Roddick replies very quickly to emails and stays back to answer any questions you may have.

Pretty interesting course too!
Old 11-10-2016 at 01:41 PM   #10
watsos4
Account Disabled by User

ANTHRO 2PA3 Review
I took this course in 2015 with Dr. Roddick. Incredible professor with a strong passion for archaeology that is constantly evident throughout the course. Lab sections were very easy and fun. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a hands on learning experience and an easy mark. The labs and final paper were very easy to complete, the only area of struggle could be in Roddick's exams. These were more difficult, but can easily be overcome with an adequate amount of prep. I would recommend this course to anyone.
Old 09-06-2017 at 07:37 PM   #11
mm99mm
Program: Life Science
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 4 Times
Any recent reviews?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search