MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HII! especially to engineers ;) PSeng Introduce Yourself 0 09-17-2010 04:59 PM
Reinstatment Letter Review Tallee Academics 2 06-30-2010 08:55 AM
reinstatment to science yapyyap Academics 5 05-28-2010 10:23 PM
Academic Reinstatment Information kumar-radio Academics 7 01-25-2010 08:06 AM
Calculators for Engineers ingénieur.xo Computers & Tech 14 08-09-2007 10:58 PM

Any Engineers who had to go through reinstatment?

Old 04-26-2010 at 02:13 AM   #1
Levix

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Any Engineers who had to go through reinstatment?
Hello, so as the title suggested....I'm in trouble. Currently in 4th year with few classes to go and supposed to graduate next year. Anyways me screwing up first year and bombing exams this year has left with a ~4 CA. I'm waiting on one more exam mark that decides my fate, otherwise I'm going to have like a 3.94 :(, sad I know I'm an idiot.

Anyways some questions...

1) Engineers who have gone through the process, how did you find it? Were they lenient about it or did you really have to produce world class excuses for your results?

2) Specifically for upper year guys (3&4): Did they give you any leniency due to you being close to done?

3) Any leniency if you were just off the mark?

If it doesn't work out with my last class I'm going to beg any of the profs for mark upgrades and see how that goes :(, obviously a long shot but maybe they'll feel sorry for me and give me a one number boost.

Thanks for any help. Also share any reinstatment stories to make me feel better :(
Old 04-26-2010 at 02:46 AM   #2
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

A 3.94 doesn't get you kicked out. Less than a 3 does. HOWEVER, your graduation status is in peril, so you should probably go talk to your academic counsellor asap.

I also hope, for your sake, that the class you are going to fail is an elective of sorts that you can cover in the summer.
Old 04-26-2010 at 02:51 AM   #3
Levix

Eh?

<4.0 CA in engineering as far I know...

Unless I'm wrong here?

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1196.html

It doesn't say anything about level II+ but I'm assuming the 4.0 CA applies from first year on?

I didn't fail any classes, I tried to coast because I'm a monkey and thought I could keep 4 easily, then bombed my last exams :(, I'm done electives but I don't think summer classes mean anything for this sessional/cumulative, they get applied next year.

Edit:

"In Level II and above, you must maintain a CA of at least 4.0 to continue in an Engineering program or in the Honours Computer Science or Honours Business Informatics programs. If you have a CA of 3.0 to 3.9, you may not continue in the Faculty. If your CA is less than 3.0, you may not continue at the University."

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...009/pg135.html

Last edited by Levix : 04-26-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Old 04-26-2010 at 02:57 AM   #4
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levix View Post
Eh?

<4.0 CA in engineering as far I know...

Unless I'm wrong here?

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1196.html

It doesn't say anything about level II+ but I'm assuming the 4.0 CA applies from first year on?

I didn't fail any classes, I tried to coast because I'm a monkey and thought I could keep 4 easily, then bombed my last exams :(, I'm done electives but I don't think summer classes mean anything for this sessional/cumulative, they get applied next year.
i had a friend go through reinstatement, you will need to create another reason for your poor performance. The reinstatement committee will refuse you if you tell them you tried to coast. You will need to formulate a situation that created a lot of stress which prevented you from focusing entirely on your studies.
Old 04-26-2010 at 03:01 AM   #5
Levix

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
i had a friend go through reinstatement, you will need to create another reason for your poor performance. The reinstatement committee will refuse you if you tell them you tried to coast. You will need to formulate a situation that created a lot of stress which prevented you from focusing entirely on your studies.
haha of course, I'll have a month to come up with some world class excuses.
Old 04-26-2010 at 03:03 AM   #6
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levix View Post
haha of course, I'll have a month to come up with some world class excuses.
you will also need proper documentation, proving the situation existed. My friend had numerous medical reports.
Old 04-26-2010 at 03:12 AM   #7
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

For a nominal fee, I can arrange for you to have a bone broken or a joint shattered.

That must suck though. If you have a CA of 3.94 at worst though, then I can't imagine it being too difficult to get a minor mark increase. If your classes are small and your prof knows you, ask to see your exam and look for any marks you can potentially fight for for. While you're there, explain your situation and maybe at least one of them will up your mark by the 1 you need if you can't find any errors or part marks you can scrape up?

...This is assuming you've been going to class semi-regularly and your profs don't hate you though.
Old 04-26-2010 at 03:21 AM   #8
Levix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
For a nominal fee, I can arrange for you to have a bone broken or a joint shattered.

That must suck though. If you have a CA of 3.94 at worst though, then I can't imagine it being too difficult to get a minor mark increase. If your classes are small and your prof knows you, ask to see your exam and look for any marks you can potentially fight for for. While you're there, explain your situation and maybe at least one of them will up your mark by the 1 you need if you can't find any errors or part marks you can scrape up?

...This is assuming you've been going to class semi-regularly and your profs don't hate you though.
Yea that'll be my first stop the profs, they should know me I was at lectures and asked questions face to face plenty. The disgusting part is in these classes I had 80% going into the exams then somehow got ripped to shreds, I don't know how I managed that one.

If I have to apply for reinstatement and it gets denied I'll look you up on that offer, you can hit me on the head with a baseball bat

Last edited by Levix : 04-26-2010 at 03:44 AM.
Old 04-26-2010
Levix
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 04-26-2010 at 08:37 AM   #9
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Are you sure you've been ripped to shreds? Maybe everyone else got owned too, and the marks will be bumped.
Old 04-26-2010 at 01:48 PM   #10
Levix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Are you sure you've been ripped to shreds? Maybe everyone else got owned too, and the marks will be bumped.
Yea asked for my final mark from the last prof, I'm pretty sure my spreadsheet is right I checked it many times, anyways my grade is a 3.94

So I'm e-mailing the profs :(
Old 04-26-2010 at 10:11 PM   #11
Levix

Well update to anyone who cares, one of the profs bumped me up so now I have a 3.96 -> 4.0

Yay, hope to graduate next year and be done with school

kldv, Ownaginatios, xo.monica like this.