MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reinstatment Letter Review Tallee Academics 2 06-30-2010 08:55 AM
reinstatment to science yapyyap Academics 5 05-28-2010 10:23 PM
Any Engineers who had to go through reinstatment? Levix Academics 10 04-26-2010 10:11 PM
Academic standing greekkid First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 04-14-2010 08:13 PM
Academic Review meklia Academics 0 03-15-2010 08:08 AM

Academic Reinstatment Information

Old 01-24-2010 at 07:08 PM   #1
kumar-radio

Liked: 0 Times

Academic Reinstatment Information
I was in McMaster Engineering for 2008-09 year, and i failed miserably. In first term, i passed like 1 course out of my 5. Then in 2nd term, I took 4 courses and got 9, 1, 1, 0. Then in summer school, i took math which i failed in first term and but then got a 3 in it. I got denied reinstatment for 2009 year so i applied to Seneca [email protected] and im doing the Chemical Eng. Tech program. I'm doing pretty good, first term my average was a 3.3/4 which is like a 83% and lets hope this 2nd year I do even better.

What are the chances of me getting back in? Anything i should be aware of?

Also, i dropped one of the 5 courses i needed to take this term since i got a 50% in high school but i was still able to get into McMaster. Will that affect me in some way?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Last edited by kumar-radio : 01-24-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-24-2010 at 07:20 PM   #2
McMaxwell

Liked: 19 Times

Seems to me you've got a good thing going @ Seneca! Why do you want come back to Mac?
Old 01-24-2010 at 08:04 PM   #3
kumar-radio

I really liked the program and the professors. And plus, the McMaster environment is great.
Old 01-24-2010 at 08:22 PM   #4
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

I'm not trying to put you down or anything, but you should think about whether you would be able to do better the second time around. I don't know why you did so badly your first year, but you should probably think about it before coming back.

kumar-radio likes this.
Old 01-24-2010 at 08:30 PM   #5
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

I would stay at Seneca if I were you. You seem to be doing good. It might be a good idea to finish that program and then consider job options or more school. Then you will always have something to fall back on in case Mac doesn't turn out as you plan.

kumar-radio likes this.
Old 01-24-2010 at 08:54 PM   #6
kumar-radio

Well guys, the reason that i did so poorly was due some severe relationship issues that i did not handle too well. I carried those problems from high school to first year and it got the best of me.

I respect all of your comments and replies, but i just wanted to know what my chances are getting back to McMaster?

McMaxwell says thanks to kumar-radio for this post.
Old 01-24-2010 at 08:59 PM   #7
McMaxwell

Liked: 19 Times

Hey same thing happened to me at the start of this year. That's not too fun at all...

That said I'd be quite useless at the reinstatement process but my advice would be to contact somebody who *would* be knowledgeable like an academic advisor.

http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/current/advising.html

or

http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/future/contact.html

Best of luck!
Old 01-25-2010 at 08:06 AM   #8
mcm2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar-radio View Post
Well guys, the reason that i did so poorly was due some severe relationship issues that i did not handle too well. I carried those problems from high school to first year and it got the best of me.

I respect all of your comments and replies, but i just wanted to know what my chances are getting back to McMaster?
Well, I was once in your situation and I have been reinstated. I was not in engineering though, I was in science and also failed first year. I'll be honest that no one and not even I can tell you what your chances of getting back in. Trust me, even if you go to academic advisors they are not much of a help at all. It all depends on your situation. Like if you have completed first year and if you have enough units to get into second year, then your chances of getting in will increase. But as of returning to first year, the chances are even lower, i'm not saying that it is impossible but it is very low. One academic advisor said told me that McMaster accepts a great deal of high school students to compensate for those that have dropped out and failed from the year before and the way they look at it is that they have one seat and you have already had your chance and why should you be given that chance again vs a new student who has the potential to do exceedingly well. I hope that helps, if you need more information I'd be glad to help.

About the whole seneca college thing, seriously consider staying because I went to Mohawk college and met a few McMaster univerisity students there that DID finish their engineering degree at McMaster but was a Mohawk college trying to get hands-on experience. So maybe you should consider doing college first, then going back to McMaster at a later time. In the end, you might not even need to come to back to Mac, so try to do some real research on what you really want to do and see if you really need a university degree.

Goodluck with everything!