MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some of the Best Movies Just Aren't From Around Here mike_302 Movies & Television 33 04-15-2010 01:46 AM
Baw Movies lawleypop Movies & Television 69 12-15-2009 02:25 AM
Horror Movies! blackdragon General Discussion 31 08-31-2009 07:47 PM
Alien movies HeatherH General Discussion 18 08-11-2009 07:54 AM
New student fee for movies? DannyV General Discussion 130 10-26-2008 01:43 PM

any good movies out there?

Old 06-13-2012 at 12:49 AM   #16
IrinaGhilic

Liked: 1 Time

"Brave" is coming out soon! If you like animations

kwyhan likes this.
Old 06-13-2012 at 10:17 AM   #17
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinabrahak View Post
i watched madagascar 3 not very long ago. However, be prepared to watch it with a whole bunch of kids/moms around you as it was for me !
so no swearing/dirty comments? damn
Old 06-15-2012 at 12:21 PM   #18
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
I recently saw the newest edition of Metropolis (1927). Blew me away how an almost 100 year old movie is so much better than 99% of today's crap.
Which edition are you talking about? Because the only thing that even remotely comes to mind is Cosmopolis, which is actually based on the Don DeLillo novel of the same name. But was there some form of remake that I didn't know about?!
Old 06-15-2012 at 02:27 PM   #19
Twinkle
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
Which edition are you talking about? Because the only thing that even remotely comes to mind is Cosmopolis, which is actually based on the Don DeLillo novel of the same name. But was there some form of remake that I didn't know about?!
Im talking about the 2010 version, with added unseen footage found in a private collection in South America.
Old 06-18-2012 at 06:24 PM   #20
biglandfarm

Liked: 66 Times

Quote:
I recently saw the newest edition of Metropolis (1927). Blew me away how an almost 100 year old movie is so much better than 99% of today's crap.
biglandfarm watched 10 minutes of the old one, was blown away by its animation. Saw the trailer for the new Mteropolus, added to the list.

biglandfarm is a huge animated movie fan, biglandfarm would recommend Kite (1998)/Ghost in the Shell imho its a bad introduction to animated movies but its rather normal in a sense that you wont get any japanese anime cliche and theses movies are simlar to american movies with a shot of briliance and complexity from japanese writers.

and Old Boy <---korean movie, pretty good. But watch it with an open mind, because this touches upon some taboos in the western society that is only emphasized on some what in the east.
Old 06-18-2012 at 08:19 PM   #21
Twinkle
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglandfarm View Post
biglandfarm watched 10 minutes of the old one, was blown away by its animation. Saw the trailer for the new Mteropolus, added to the list.

biglandfarm is a huge animated movie fan, biglandfarm would recommend Kite (1998)/Ghost in the Shell imho its a bad introduction to animated movies but its rather normal in a sense that you wont get any japanese anime cliche and theses movies are simlar to american movies with a shot of briliance and complexity from japanese writers.

and Old Boy <---korean movie, pretty good. But watch it with an open mind, because this touches upon some taboos in the western society that is only emphasized on some what in the east.
Me thinks biglandfarm has no idea what he's talking about. Me thinks biglandfarm doesnt know that Metropolis is a life action silent movie, not some anime with terrible frame rate. Me is made angry by biglandfarm inability of using the IMDB search bar.

See, I can do that too.

Is that some sort of new trolling fetish I'm not familiar with?
Old 06-18-2012 at 10:43 PM   #22
biglandfarm

Liked: 66 Times

Quote:
Me thinks biglandfarm has no idea what he's talking about. Me thinks biglandfarm doesnt know that Metropolis is a life action silent movie, not some anime with terrible frame rate. Me is made angry by biglandfarm inability of using the IMDB search bar.

See, I can do that too.

Is that some sort of new trolling fetish I'm not familiar with?
biglandfarm's feelings are genuinely hurt T -T. Please stop making fun of biglandfarm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_%28anime%2 9
Old 06-19-2012 at 12:22 AM   #23
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

The Intouchables is an amazing movie!
Old 06-22-2012 at 01:31 PM   #24
romitnagrare

Liked: 0 Times

i dont know about movies.. but if you are into zombies.. the walking dead tv series is awesome
Old 06-22-2012 at 01:59 PM   #25
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpatel View Post
IMO Madagascar 3 is more for...casual movie-goers, those who watch movies for fun in their leisure time, something a little more G-rated and comedic and light-hearted and...family friendly

Prometheus is more for scifi lovers, who like to get INTO the movie and get absorbed in the storyline, those extreme critic-type people.

anything disney-pixar comes out with, specially this time of year, is 99% of the time gold. Just sayin
What do you mean "those who watch movies for fun in their leisure time"... there are people who watch movies for reasons other than fun?

And Prometheus had a storyline?! :S
Old 06-22-2012 at 02:06 PM   #26
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

Check out this movie called Ted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fbo_pQvU7M

jim1 likes this.
Old 06-22-2012 at 03:12 PM   #27
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrickWall View Post
Check out this movie called Ted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fbo_pQvU7M
That one looks fun hehe

Ones I can remember from 2012:
Chernobyl Diaries: decent, not very scary, disappointing ending, interesting concept
Prometheus: butchered prequel, cliche, pretty, nothing special, a tad suspenseful
Snow White and the Huntsman: decent story, nice mature take on the story, very boring at parts, unlovable characters
MIB3: nice light movie, not as good as original, funny
Woman in Black: not terrible as i expected it to be, suspenseful, interesting
Cowboys and Aliens: meh, scifi/western, interesting combo but kind of cliche
Titanic 3D: good story, same as original, worth watching if you haven't seen, i dont think ive ever watched this alone .. nor would i

I wouldn't specifically recommend any of the above to watch unless you liked the others in its series or director

The Raven: good adaptation, interesting, good character development
Cabin in the Woods: scary, interesting concept, cool ending, not that sophisticated

Recent/Random:
The Thing: very good, horror, scifi
Eden Log: confusing, wouldn't expect many people to like it, dark, gritty, interesting concept
No Strings Attached: fun, something to watch with a chickypoo
Left for Dead: ridiculous, really bad acting, funny, gorey and inappropriate, would probably watch again lol
Amadaeus: fantastic movie, about motzart, documentary/dramatization, artsy, fav of year
Dark Nature: ****ed up, nuff said
Black Robe: early canada, natives, fun, unique, death, spirituality, could be boring to some
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada: seemed long, about a border security guy, kind of weird and unexpected, strange ending
Appaloosa: weird, kind of boring, western
The Mechanic: ****ing amazing, hitman, Jason Statham, nuff said
Atlas Shrugged P1: wonderful, good adaptation, either like it or dont (either way, a good storyline if you're not into the deeper meaning behind it)
Super 8: not terrible, but wouldn't recommend it, decent character development/following
City of Ember: very cool concept, well put together world, more of a kids movie, steampunk(ish), satisfying overall, good despite being aimed at kids
Colin: funny, unique, but 'wtf' overall, zombie movie through the eyes of a zombie
Che: meh, engaging retelling
Clash of the Titans (orig): amazing, unintentionally hillarious, good story
Red Riding Hood: good mature telling of the story, predictable ending, lots of action, fun overall
Valhalla Rising: fell asleep trying to watch this movie twice, despite good reviews of it, funky, very supernatural...but not really, weird, not in english if i remember correctly
Traitor: terrorism, political, hard to explain, keep managing to watch it again and again on tv
Time Traveller's Wife: hated it, many enjoyed it though
Mars Needs Moms: really good animated movie, touching, clever, cheeky, unique, good despite being for kids
Public Enemy: loved it, gangster movie, behind the scenes, not as much action as would be expected
9: Same as Mars Needs Moms, kind of goofy, predictable, for kids
Sanxia Haoren (Still Life): Not sure how i managed to watch this whole movie, pretty boring but touching, interesting cultural insight, not english
Ninja Assassin: despite the name this was an amazing movie, your typical kung fu, deep back story secret ninja school type of deal, lots of action, amazing action
Astro Boy: great kids movie, kind of silly, villian perspective, cliche
Kick-Ass: kickass! action, lots of violence, really unique
Day of the Dead(1985): zombies, one location, research, kind of hillarious, run of the mill zombie movie really, just desserts and all that, mad scientist, pet zombie, bang bang
Undead: ridiculous, unintentionally funny, bad, australian, still a good time
Sunshine: scifi, philosophical, realistic, neat, entire movie in a ship
Centurion: wonderful, reminds me of gladiator, lots of walking, barbarians, betrayal, neato, romans
Unknown: psychological, confusing, memory loss?, amazzinggggggggg climax, Liam Neelson.. on that point, anything by this actor should be devoured.. if you haven't seen Taken, watch it right now
The Colony S1 & 2: like survivor, only apocalyptic scenario, lots of cool social dynamics and engineering
Fight Club: you dont talk about this movie
Adjustment Bureau: insanity, interesting concept, 'designers', psycholgical, world reminds me of inception
Red State: action, religious zealots, bloody, bloody amazing!
Priest: martial artist ass-kicking priest in a state-controlled world, fighting vampires in the wasteland... nuff said (amazing)
Buried: most would find it terrible, but fascinating how small of a production budget this movie had, entirely psychological and 'talking'
Grand Torino: classic, clint eastwood, badass mofo, great
The Eagle: similar to centurion (similar to gladiator), quest for a flag, lots of roman/barbarian shenannigans

I'm bored of this now, and I have to work, those were only the movies I looked through on my recently returned section of the hamilton public library, I mostly torrent movies
Old 06-22-2012 at 04:36 PM   #28
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

looks good.
Old 06-22-2012 at 08:34 PM   #29
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrinaGhilic View Post
"Brave" is coming out soon! If you like animations
:o Irina!

I saw Brave today actually! Anyone looking for a laugh and a heart-warmer should go see it. Great story and characters.
Old 06-22-2012 at 08:56 PM   #30
forcajovem

Liked: 8 Times

I watched American History X this week, and I have to say it is one of the best I have seen. Warning though, very though movie to watch, in terms of its content and brutality. But if you can get through that you will find that no other movie will emotionally captivate you quite like it.