MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Night/Summer School? (high school level) Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-20-2011 01:12 PM
School and government need to do something about bad living conditions arounds school jacqueda Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 24 05-18-2011 09:34 PM
Summer School for First Years? commie21 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 02-07-2011 02:39 PM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM

Any Law School bound Second Years?

Members have rated post #252091 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 06-18-2011 at 08:43 AM   #1
SirPhil

Liked: 19 Times

Any Law School bound Second Years?
I know there a lot of med school bound students, but I was wondering if there were any who were seriously considering taking the LSATs and with plans to attend law school. I am planning on done the LSATs next year summer any similar minded people?
Old 06-18-2011 at 10:02 AM   #2
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Law school is an option I have at the back of my mind, but it's very vague and I haven't given it any special consideration yet (about LSATs etc.). What are you doing to prepare? Plus, what DO they test you on in the LSATs? (sorry for the n00b questions).
Old 06-18-2011 at 10:24 AM   #3
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

I think a lot of mac students intend to go to med school. i have always wanted to go to law school and find that I tend to be the only one in any of my classes who want to do this. I intend to take a LSAT prep course, and then write my LSAT next year.
Old 06-18-2011 at 10:38 AM   #4
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 135 Times

LSAT consists of 3 types of questions.

Logic games, which are like "If A comes before C and C comes before D who can come in first" (except wayyy more complicated)

Logical Reasoning, which is finding flaws in reasoning, finding statements that would strengthen arguments, that sort of thing.

And reading comprehension, which gives you a passage and you have to do things like "Identify the main argument" or "what is the author trying to do by writing this line 10."

Its a pretty difficult test do to the time constraints they put on you. I wrote mine last week and am still awaiting my score. Aiming to apply to law school next year.

I didn't do a prep course or anything...mainly just practice tests. LSAT, unlike something like the MCAT, is not knowledge based, so its difficult to study for. depending on how well I do I might take a course and write it again in October (as most law schools only consider your highest score for acceptance).

Biochem47, Faer, icecubz, Misspolitics, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to J-Met for this post.
Old 06-18-2011 at 11:23 AM   #5
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Met View Post
LSAT consists of 3 types of questions.

Logic games, which are like "If A comes before C and C comes before D who can come in first" (except wayyy more complicated)

Logical Reasoning, which is finding flaws in reasoning, finding statements that would strengthen arguments, that sort of thing.

And reading comprehension, which gives you a passage and you have to do things like "Identify the main argument" or "what is the author trying to do by writing this line 10."

Its a pretty difficult test do to the time constraints they put on you. I wrote mine last week and am still awaiting my score. Aiming to apply to law school next year.

I didn't do a prep course or anything...mainly just practice tests. LSAT, unlike something like the MCAT, is not knowledge based, so its difficult to study for. depending on how well I do I might take a course and write it again in October (as most law schools only consider your highest score for acceptance).
It might be pretty silly to say so, but that sounds really interesting! I mean, except for the wayyyy harder bit, and the time constraints...it reminds me of a complex version of some games I've played...

*coughs*

Anyway. So the main prep one can do is just practice tests, hmm? Well, good luck on your scores, I hope you do well!

J-Met, lizziepizzie like this.
Old 06-18-2011 at 11:43 AM   #6
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I absolutely want to go to law school. That is my ultimate goal. Right now, I'm cosiering Queens and Western. I know, Western...
Old 06-18-2011 at 11:48 AM   #7
SydWidgets
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
I absolutely want to go to law school. That is my ultimate goal. Right now, I'm cosiering Queens and Western. I know, Western...
you seem like the most scatter-brained person on this site, with some of the weakest arguments i've ever seen, half your comments are "yeah, I was going to say that", are your sure law school is the right path for you?

Mr.Prodigy likes this.
Old 06-18-2011 at 11:56 AM   #8
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating4 / 3Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by tyrant.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 06-18-2011 at 11:59 AM   #9
oranges

Liked: 34 Times

Law school is definitely an option for me. I'm kind of torn between med school and law school, because I'm sure I would enjoy both. But I've also looked at some LSAT prep books and somehow I find the questions more interesting than those asked on the MCAT.

I guess I have to decide between the two soon though, if I wanna write the LSAT/MCAT sooner rather than later.
Old 06-18-2011 at 01:06 PM   #10
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydWidgets View Post
you seem like the most scatter-brained person on this site, with some of the weakest arguments i've ever seen, half your comments are "yeah, I was going to say that", are your sure law school is the right path for you?
Did you ever think that MI is a place to calm down and NOT have to be uptight and super academic all the time? Give me a break; read some other posts before you criticize, or better yet, look at yourself.

tyrant, waldo92 like this.
Old 06-18-2011 at 09:35 PM   #11
SirPhil

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
Law school is definitely an option for me. I'm kind of torn between med school and law school, because I'm sure I would enjoy both. But I've also looked at some LSAT prep books and somehow I find the questions more interesting than those asked on the MCAT.

I guess I have to decide between the two soon though, if I wanna write the LSAT/MCAT sooner rather than later.
I was definitely in the same situation when I just entered Mac, in fact I was leaning toward the med school side. But after my first year in Life Sci, I feel like I would be enjoy Law a lot better than Medical Sciences. Anyways, what programs are you guys in and have any of you started to prepare for your LSATs?

I am in PNB myself and I am just taking a look at an LSAT prep book & reading some critical thinking books. I was also planning on taking the critical thinking course next term. Anyone else in that course?

What law schools do you guys plan on attending and is there anyone here with big State side ambitions the likes of Harvard, Columbia etc?

I really wanna go to UofT or go States side. If I'm gonna go to Law School, I figure I better aim for the very best so coming out, I have a job and everything set up for me.
Old 06-18-2011 at 10:03 PM   #12
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPhil View Post
I was definitely in the same situation when I just entered Mac, in fact I was leaning toward the med school side. But after my first year in Life Sci, I feel like I would be enjoy Law a lot better than Medical Sciences. Anyways, what programs are you guys in and have any of you started to prepare for your LSATs?

I am in PNB myself and I am just taking a look at an LSAT prep book & reading some critical thinking books. I was also planning on taking the critical thinking course next term. Anyone else in that course?

What law schools do you guys plan on attending and is there anyone here with big State side ambitions the likes of Harvard, Columbia etc?

I really wanna go to UofT or go States side. If I'm gonna go to Law School, I figure I better aim for the very best so coming out, I have a job and everything set up for me.
I want to go to UofT. otherwise, I would do research on the pros and cons of canadian/american schools especially with the american market the way it is now. (i'm not sure of job prospects) any idea for the type of law you want to practice? I was looking at criminal law (as a prosecutor) or corporate law.
Old 06-18-2011 at 10:33 PM   #13
oranges

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPhil View Post

Yeah, I know what you mean. I came into university dead set on getting into med school, but a bunch of other options kinda crept up on me after thinking about them, one of them being law school. I'm not taking the critical thinking course, but I'm sure it'll be helpful. You should also consider taking some philosophy courses if that stuff interests you even mildly; they'll definitely help you refine your critical thinking skills, and they're also fun (although I might be somewhat biased... ). I would recommend taking Philos 2B03 (Introductory Logic) if it sounds interesting to you, although I haven't taken it yet so I can't comment on its difficulty or anything.

So far I've only skimmed through some LSAT books, but I'll probably buy a book or two by the end of second year and write the LSAT after third year if I do decide to go with law school. As for particular schools, I'd wanna go to UofT or Osgoode, although I haven't really looked much at other law schools.
Old 06-18-2011 at 11:48 PM   #14
darkstar

Liked: 47 Times

I came to university with the sole intent of going to law school. Then reality set in. I have the marks for it but there is so much more to consider especially after some of my best friends are lawyers or went to law school.

First is the cost. Unless your parents are paying for it, it will cripple you. You will not be able to work part time during the school year and most law schools are in very expensive cities to live in. I figured I would be about $160 000 in the hole after undergrad and law school.

Second. I know many people who went to law school and then realized they don't give a crap about the law. If you don't care, you will not make it.

Third is connections. If you don't have them, seriously think about law as career option. My friend with no connections is general counsel at a financial company in Hamilton making 50k a year after being unemployed for more than a year after articling. My friend who's parents were both lawyers started at a class action firm in Toronto at 185k a year plus bonuses. A job which he had lined up before graduating.

Finally, law is not medicine. For every lawyer out there making 250k there are hundreds working in a one room office making 40k and they still work 80 hours a week. You don't get into law for money, you get into it out of passion.

My brother is a surgeon and I would love to give my parents a doctor and a lawyer but its not realistic and I don't have the interest anymore. Over the years I have learned the hard way that enjoying what you do is more important than money and prestige.

If you love the law, go for it. If your family is full of lawyers and you have connections, I hate you but go for it. If you are broke and still want to go, try to get scholarships to mid level US universities in places like Idaho and then do some independant study to pass a canadian bar.

Alchemist11, macsci all say thanks to darkstar for this post.

Old 06-19-2011 at 01:59 PM   #15
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
I came to university with the sole intent of going to law school. Then reality set in. I have the marks for it but there is so much more to consider especially after some of my best friends are lawyers or went to law school.

First is the cost. Unless your parents are paying for it, it will cripple you. You will not be able to work part time during the school year and most law schools are in very expensive cities to live in. I figured I would be about $160 000 in the hole after undergrad and law school.

Second. I know many people who went to law school and then realized they don't give a crap about the law. If you don't care, you will not make it.

Third is connections. If you don't have them, seriously think about law as career option. My friend with no connections is general counsel at a financial company in Hamilton making 50k a year after being unemployed for more than a year after articling. My friend who's parents were both lawyers started at a class action firm in Toronto at 185k a year plus bonuses. A job which he had lined up before graduating.

Finally, law is not medicine. For every lawyer out there making 250k there are hundreds working in a one room office making 40k and they still work 80 hours a week. You don't get into law for money, you get into it out of passion.

My brother is a surgeon and I would love to give my parents a doctor and a lawyer but its not realistic and I don't have the interest anymore. Over the years I have learned the hard way that enjoying what you do is more important than money and prestige.

If you love the law, go for it. If your family is full of lawyers and you have connections, I hate you but go for it. If you are broke and still want to go, try to get scholarships to mid level US universities in places like Idaho and then do some independant study to pass a canadian bar.
that's a level headed person right there, In my experience I am only half joking when I say connections or GTFO.