MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts on this laptop? vinny06 General Discussion 30 08-13-2011 07:56 AM
Elective Thoughts? blackdragon Academics 11 04-25-2011 02:58 PM
Thoughts on Vishal LeannaT General Discussion 127 02-08-2010 08:31 PM
Your thoughts on... Goce General Discussion 5 04-22-2009 08:04 PM
Tell us your thoughts on Welcome Day! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 17 08-11-2008 08:33 AM

Any thoughts about electives?

Old 06-02-2012 at 10:57 AM   #16
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

HTH SCI 2G03 is not hard but lectures are very boring (if it's still the same prof teaching it). I think I went to 3 lectures and then never went to a single one after that, the prof literally read off of the slides so I just read the textbook and the slides by myself at home. The essay wasn't bad, the midterm was optional (if you didn't write it then your final exam was worth 80%), and the final was easy. Most of the people in my class ended up with at least a 10.

The course has zero biology in it, but the material is very useful. Especially for anyone with an interest in public health/epidemiology or who plans on conducting clinical trials.

keiser=) likes this.
Old 06-02-2012 at 11:22 AM   #17
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemaking View Post
HTH SCI 2G03 is not hard but lectures are very boring (if it's still the same prof teaching it). I think I went to 3 lectures and then never went to a single one after that, the prof literally read off of the slides so I just read the textbook and the slides by myself at home. The essay wasn't bad, the midterm was optional (if you didn't write it then your final exam was worth 80%), and the final was easy. Most of the people in my class ended up with at least a 10.

The course has zero biology in it, but the material is very useful. Especially for anyone with an interest in public health/epidemiology or who plans on conducting clinical trials.
The midterm wasn't optional for us. And I believe they changed the format of the essay in my year. In previous years I think the essay was around 2-3 pages?
Old 06-02-2012 at 12:21 PM   #18
keiser=)

Liked: 12 Times

thanks guys for these feedbacks, i hope that if i take epidemiology hth sci 2g03 it can help me for health management in the near future.

hope for some more feedback
Old 06-02-2012 at 04:27 PM   #19
keiser=)

Quote:

so are the students able to select topics when making their essays? or is it the TA who will assigned to it? is there a lot of processes that the essay will go through (ta checks, peer reviewed checks, putting many perspectives/details like precis, etc)?
Old 06-02-2012 at 04:39 PM   #20
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiser=) View Post
so are the students able to select topics when making their essays? or is it the TA who will assigned to it? is there a lot of processes that the essay will go through (ta checks, peer reviewed checks, putting many perspectives/details like precis, etc)?
everyone had the same essay question that they had to answer last year. not sure if they will change it. the essay was basically "Here is a study design, comment on why it isn't good and what a better one would be"

no ta or peer review, and no references are needed per se.

keiser=) says thanks to yoni for this post.
Old 06-03-2012 at 10:02 PM   #21
kiiwii819

Liked: 0 Times

Math 2k03 isnt easy. It really depends on the prof. And it is def. better if you have a finance background !! I took it with Huibin Cheng I think, midterms were so brutal but for the final exam it is open book and you can also bring a formula sheet. That helped a lot!!! He also gave us assignments to do every other week from the textbook that are actually quite hard to solve as well.
Old 06-03-2012 at 10:10 PM   #22
kwyhan
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

how about 2nd year psychs!?
Old 06-03-2012 at 11:31 PM   #23
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I took Psych2b03 last term and it wasn't bad at all. There were 2 midterms plus an exam. I'm going to be taking Psych2AP3 this term but I don't really know what to make of it. I've heard mixed opinions .
Old 06-04-2012 at 06:53 AM   #24
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyhan View Post
how about 2nd year psychs!?
Take any of Dr. Day's courses, he's a great prof and it's not hard to do well in his classes (ie. get a 12). I highly recommend PSYCH 2AP3.

PSYCH 2C03 (social psych) with Ostovich is really interesting and she's also a great/funny lecturer but her tests are much harder than Day's. There are short and long answer questions involved and you really have to understand the experiments/know what the question is looking for to get a 12 in her course.

kwyhan says thanks to inthemaking for this post.
Old 06-04-2012 at 07:52 AM   #25
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Take any of Dr. Day's courses, he's a great prof and it's not hard to do well in his classes (ie. get a 12). I highly recommend PSYCH 2AP3.

PSYCH 2C03 (social psych) with Ostovich is really interesting and she's also a great/funny lecturer but her tests are much harder than Day's. There are short and long answer questions involved and you really have to understand the experiments/know what the question is looking for to get a 12 in her course.
I disagree with pretty much your entire post.

This is why all of these threads are pointless. You can't pick electives based on what other people think, because you're a different person.
Old 06-04-2012 at 11:36 AM   #26
keiser=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
This is why all of these threads are pointless. You can't pick electives based on what other people think, because you're a different person.
I think these threads are useful in some extent since it has ideas on expectations to these courses. Is not necessary that someone need to follow all of their advices since themselves will only decide what they want and need to take. These type of threads help me to select courses (especially electives) in first year. Opinions towards these threads may vary though... some people find it useful and others not
Old 06-04-2012 at 06:33 PM   #27
spenceman91

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I disagree with pretty much your entire post.

It's pretty well established that Ostovich's tests are harder to pull off than Day's, most people who've taken both of their classes will tell you the same thing.
Old 06-04-2012 at 06:44 PM   #28
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenceman91 View Post
It's pretty well established that Ostovich's tests are harder to pull off than Day's, most people who've taken both of their classes will tell you the same thing.
That doesn't mean I don't/can't disagree. That wasn't my point though.

Old 06-04-2012 at 07:12 PM   #29
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Here are a couple of old threads on Epi...
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...scienc e+2g03
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea... ghlight=2g03