MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Voice recorders for lectures Richa Computers & Tech 2 09-15-2010 08:15 PM
Attending other lectures waldo92 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-31-2010 02:49 PM
Psych live lectures dedust Academics 11 01-09-2010 09:29 PM
What to do before lectures M&M&M&M First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-11-2009 10:18 AM
Recording lectures? Avneet Academics 2 06-20-2008 02:42 PM

Anyone else annoyed by people not shutting up in lectures?

Old 09-30-2008 at 12:30 PM   #1
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Anyone else annoyed by people not shutting up in lectures?
Yesterday and today, in two different lectures, I was surrounded by chatter, and I had trouble listening to the profs. Who else finds this irritating? Seriously, if you have to talk that badly, go outside. I don't care if people are whispering quietly about the lecture, but if you're loudly talking about something unrelated. Then gtfo!
Old 09-30-2008 at 12:56 PM   #2
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

do what I do, I lean forward get my face in between the their 2 heads and say shut the f.. up. Believe it or not, it works.
Old 09-30-2008 at 06:41 PM   #3
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

sitting near the front helps alot... people there are less talkative and in general, more immersed in the lecture.
Old 09-30-2008 at 10:29 PM   #4
snaps

Liked: 32 Times

instead of complaining to us, complain to them directly... if ur shy, then u deserve to get stepped on... its not fukin high school...
Old 10-01-2008 at 12:00 AM   #5
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Ill agree with dvy88 in saying that it'll be best to position yourself closer to the front. If you really can't ask people around you to quiet down, then just be productive and sit somewhere else. Other than that, not much else you can do!
Old 10-01-2008 at 05:19 AM   #6
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvy88 View Post
sitting near the front helps alot... people there are less talkative and in general, more immersed in the lecture.
true say..that does help a lot

if u sit far back, odds r u will be distracted some other way..i realized that ppl bring laptops to play games rather take notes of anysort..

Old 10-01-2008 at 07:38 AM   #7
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

I usually sit in the middle, but I'll take people's advice and move to the front.
Old 10-01-2008 at 04:14 PM   #8
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

wow...there are some pretty harsh comments here...I know what you mean, in my anatomy and physiology lecture, there`s this group of like 4 girls and 2 guys that all sit together, and litterally just giggle, the whole lecture!! It drives me crazy!
Old 10-01-2008 at 04:58 PM   #9
chugaucon

Liked: 11 Times

Even when I sit near the front, like 3 or 4 row back from the front, I still run into people that would not stop talking...Something that drives me even more crazy than the talking in lecture is when people talk so loud in a library reading room. It's ridiculous, if people want to socialize, go to the Student Centre or something.
Old 10-04-2008 at 09:48 PM   #10
summer

Liked: 1 Time

Talking in lecture is one of my biggest pet peeves, and to be honest, you have paid to hear that lecture from any seat in the lecture hall. I posted this elsewhere but I've found the following most effective:

"Hey guys, I'm sorry, but I'm having a REALLY hard time hearing the prof, do you guys mind keeping it down? Thanks!" *smile*
I've found that this approach works really well because people generally feel bad when YOU apologize and they know that THEY are the ones doing something wrong, and it gets them to shut up. The smile helps.

In my better moods, I've used:
"Hey, I'm paying to hear Dr. Lecturer speak, not you..."
This works most of the time too, and it gets out all the aggression you had pent up before you said something. I have noticed a new breed of student who I especially can't stand, though, who just laugh and keep talking. What is this, Grade Nine? Grow up!

In all honesty though, you ARE in the right for saying something, so don't be afraid to. Sitting in front helps, but there's nothing you can do if you do go to the front and Chatty McChatterson decides to sit beside you. That's when you gotta pull out the big guns. It's your education, you deserve to get what you paid and are working hard for.
Old 10-04-2008 at 11:32 PM   #11
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Not many people talk closer to the front as people have mentioned.

I remember once I was sitting near the back middle. And these guys all the way back and right were talking. I didn't know what to do since I couldn't see who was talking and didn't feel like standing up in the middle of lecture and yelling "Shut the fuk up" to them.
Old 10-05-2008 at 04:47 PM   #12
surena

Liked: 0 Times

OH! Sitting in lecture halls like BSB147 can get irritating when students start congregating in the doors for the next class. But... it's not like it's intentional, and usually just asking politely to keep it down works. Dunno how well i'd respond if someone bit my head off instead of asking nicely.