MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You opinion on attending classes with... Cliu91 Academics 6 10-13-2010 11:24 AM
attending mixed cores due to conflict? andru First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-13-2009 12:23 AM
Attending ECON 1BB3 Lectures? Kurt_ Academics 3 12-24-2008 05:42 PM
First-Year Academic Success - Part 1: Attending Lectures Chad First Year Academic Success 13 09-10-2007 06:45 PM
First year science tests – Part 1 (Attending Lectures) paul Academics 2 09-03-2007 11:41 AM

Attending other lectures

Old 08-31-2010 at 02:03 PM   #1
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

Attending other lectures
On Thursdays, my schedule goes like this, Bio at 9:30, Chem L/T at 11:30/12:30, linguistics at 3:30, and chem at 5:30

There's another Biology core which has classes on Mon/Wed/Thurs at 1:30 (which is still available) but I can't take it because it screws up my timetable a good deal with conflicts etc.

However, on alternating weeks (the weeks I have chem tutorials) I'm gonna have a 3 hr wait between Bio and my next class. I was wondering, what if i skip my morning lecture, come to mac for the chem tutorial, and attend the 1:30 Biology lecture instead? So I guess what I'm saying that although I'm officially enrolled in core 2, I unofficially walk into a core 1 lecture, on alternating thursdays, for convenience.

That day is the last Biology lecture of the week for both the cores, the course has the same profs etc., so is it safe to assume that the morning bio lecture and the afternoon one, although belonging to different cores, will cover the same information?

is it a good idea to do this for other courses? will i be screwing myself over in any way if i do this? Apparently tests are at the same time as the lectures, but that's a one-off kinda thing.
Old 08-31-2010 at 02:12 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo92 View Post
On Thursdays, my schedule goes like this, Bio at 9:30, Chem L/T at 11:30/12:30, linguistics at 3:30, and chem at 5:30

There's another Biology core which has classes on Mon/Wed/Thurs at 1:30 (which is still available) but I can't take it because it screws up my timetable a good deal with conflicts etc.

However, on alternating weeks (the weeks I have chem tutorials) I'm gonna have a 3 hr wait between Bio and my next class. I was wondering, what if i skip my morning lecture, come to mac for the chem tutorial, and attend the 1:30 Biology lecture instead? So I guess what I'm saying that although I'm officially enrolled in core 2, I unofficially walk into a core 1 lecture, on alternating thursdays, for convenience.

That day is the last Biology lecture of the week for both the cores, the course has the same profs etc., so is it safe to assume that the morning bio lecture and the afternoon one, although belonging to different cores, will cover the same information?

is it a good idea to do this for other courses? will i be screwing myself over in any way if i do this? Apparently tests are at the same time as the lectures, but that's a one-off kinda thing.
You can if the class isn't full, if it's full and people are standing you should leave because you aren't enrolled in the class. Another problem is that not all classes cover the same amount of material. As a result, some sections are playing catch-up or some sections are slightly ahead. This could be a problem if you attend multiple cores.
Old 08-31-2010 at 02:18 PM   #3
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times

Attend the core you are enrolled in.
Old 08-31-2010 at 02:32 PM   #4
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

it looks like iclicker is being used for bio
I'm guessing it counts as marks so it's not a good idea to go to other lectures that you don't belong to
Old 08-31-2010 at 02:49 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I know some people who occasionally did this in first year for the convenience, but sometimes they were lost because different material was covered depending if the class was slightly ahead or behind. Also, if they added in iClickers for in-class use, that would be a problem.
It doesn't seem like the class being full would be a problem, if the section is available on SOLAR, but if you walk in and the room is full, then you should leave, even though you'll have already missed the morning lecture--it's not fair to take someone else's seat and make them miss the lecture, when they might be legitimately registered in that section.