MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unusual combination...anyone here take both "Psych 2C03" and "Math 1LT3" dumbconsumer Academics 2 06-15-2011 08:09 AM
Odd Email From Mac "Attention:l'utilisateur Envoyer Mcmaster.ca" Ish001 Computers & Tech 6 08-01-2010 12:47 PM
McMaster TAs and RAs request "no board" report: Expected Deadline on or around Oct 30 dsahota General Discussion 174 10-21-2009 04:42 PM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM
Renewal Visionary "Storm Cunningham" to Speak at McMaster Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-22-2009 03:34 PM

Anyone know the details for the "McMaster is overpopulated" issue?

Old 07-22-2011 at 07:18 PM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochem47 View Post
I'm pretty sure I read an article about it somewhere--can't find it now--that McMaster had an increase in people applying (an increase more than any other school this year).
The number of people applying has no effect on the number of people attending McMaster in the fall, unless the number of people applying is less than the capacity of McMaster.
Old 07-22-2011 at 07:21 PM   #17
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
The number of people applying has no effect on the number of people attending McMaster in the fall, unless the number of people applying is less than the capacity of McMaster.
Why wouldn't it? More people applying means there are more people likely to accept their offer and come to Mac.
Old 07-22-2011 at 07:22 PM   #18
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Why wouldn't it? More people applying means there are more people likely to accept their offer and come to Mac.
Imagine is 10,000 people apply. McMaster sends out 1,000 offers of admission.
Now imagine 1,000,000 people apply. McMaster sends out 1,000 offers of admission.

Old 07-22-2011 at 07:24 PM   #19
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Quote:
Now imagine 1,000,000 people apply. McMaster sends out 1,000 offers of admission.
They have a standard number of offers they sent out? Then what happened this year--obviously they sent out too much.
Old 07-22-2011 at 07:26 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
They have a standard number of offers they sent out? Then what happened this year--obviously they sent out too much.
Every university sends out more offers than they have space due to the fact that students have 3 choices (or more if they decide to pay more) and can only accept 1. More students decided to go to McMaster than other universities in their choices.

Biochem47 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-22-2011 at 07:53 PM   #21
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

So does anyone know what the MSU and McMaster has done to deal with the problem?
Old 07-22-2011 at 07:53 PM   #22
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Do we know that's the case though? Mac is a business like any other, and I wouldn't put it past them to send out 2,000 (for example) offers of admission when they got the increase of applications. Do you know what I mean?

Last edited by Kathy2 : 07-22-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Biochem47 likes this.
Old 07-22-2011 at 08:11 PM   #23
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbconsumer View Post
Nah, i'm not interested off-campusing this late in the game, don't wanna screw over next year for 1K, i'm sure it's a great offer for those that have some easily made arrangement though.
I thought you were gonna live in my closet anmolllllllllllllllll l? ... but you have to give me half of that 1K

dumbconsumer likes this.
Old 07-22-2011 at 08:19 PM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Do we know that's the case though? Mac is a business like any other, and I wouldn't put it past them to send out 2,000 (for example) offers of admission when they got the increase of applications. Do you know what I mean?
We won't know until November 2012. Being a business, I doubt they would make such a ridiculously stupid decision. It would cause such negative opinions of McMaster that future students would decide not to go to McMaster. Why would you go to a university where you can't get into the required courses you need and that can't house you even when they guaranteed to do so?
Old 07-22-2011 at 08:57 PM   #25
Zuchowski

Liked: 1 Time

Maybe i can shead some light on this

So, as stated earilier evrey year McMaster sends out about 20,000 offrers to students, and usualy only i thin 6,000 accept each year (first years), this year, there was a unanticipated spike where as i think 7,500 students accepted (or an extra 15% of 20,000 idk, i dont pay attention enough but one of the two)

but hey, one benifit, more student fees to spend!!! <3

McMaster is having trouble accomidating the extra 1,500 students in residence aswell as with classes (no room for classes) when it comes to classes there have been no offical metioned plans although some things floating around were to have classes on saturdays aswell or to rent out westdale theater as a lecture hall... i know eh....? and the MSU's Bord of Directors, spesificly VP Ed. is constanly in contact with McMaster to find a soulution which will not hurt our quality of education (or our weekends... )

When it comes to residence, this year, there were too many applicants who accepted residence, as i have been told, as of current there are still 300+ students who are guarenteed residence, whom do not have a bedspace yet, the solution? throw money at students to drop out of residence... sooo. in the end, mcmaster is paying (if all works out) 300,000 to some students who drop residence.....

When it comes to residence, IRC is dealing with Housing (i have my opinions...), as the msu... idk i havent heard anyting yet

But yea.... so too many students acceptec this year, so we are going to suffffeerrrr somehow... who knows... oh yea they also cut funding for facultyies and student services this year, like the CSD... oh wait... now its called SSC >.> new name yay!

From your beloved SRA Eng Rep.
~Shane Zuchowski <3

P.S. im either falling alseep (ok 19 h meetings that from from noon till 7 AM 2h before an exam.. u try better) or hitting on girls on the SRA when stuff like this is being announced (sorry ill try better ) so it might not all be right but hopefully its sheading some light on the darkness called McMaster

Last edited by Zuchowski : 07-22-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Biochem47, dumbconsumer, MichaelScarn, soltintal, UlteriorMtve all say thanks to Zuchowski for this post.
Old 07-22-2011 at 09:30 PM   #26
soltintal

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuchowski View Post
the CSD... oh wait... now its called SSC >.> new name yay!

thanks for the heads-up on this. i had heard rumblings about it but no actual news updates. i know it's a bit off topic - sorry OP - but for anyone who needs to know i just found this on the website:

Notice: CSD will be transitioning into two distinct services come the 2011-12 academic year.

Notice: This summer, the Centre for Student Development (CSD) will be transitioning into two distinct services come the 2011-12 academic year. CSD’s Personal Counselling service will be partnered with the Campus Health Centre under the banner of the Student Wellness Centre (SWC). CSD’s Disability Services will now be known as Student Accessibility Services (SAS).
Personal counselling’s partnership with Campus Health means that the service will now operate out of MUSC B107, as well as B106 and B101. Disability Services will continue to operate out of MUSC B107.

Stay tuned this summer for more information about this exciting transition!
Old 07-22-2011 at 10:04 PM   #27
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Is anyone actually considering this deal?
Old 07-22-2011 at 10:07 PM   #28
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
Is anyone actually considering this deal?
i accepted, time to find a place
Old 07-22-2011 at 10:10 PM   #29
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I doubt it. It's just as jhan said most likely. Mac sent out roughly the same number of offers, but more people ended up accepting than usual. This obviously results in more people wanting res and having the average to be guaranteed it.
Old 07-22-2011 at 10:12 PM   #30
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Question: Is this abnormal from any other year? Or does this happen often?

I only say this because the general trend of "This year is totally worse/better than last year! It's a new peak/low!". Like my high school saying, "This year there are more skips then ANY other year" or "This year more people applied to universities than any year before it!" When in reality those statements are said every year.

BlueWave likes this.