MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can i use CSD if I'm not taking summer courses? MacStudent06 General Discussion 1 06-21-2011 06:34 PM
Taking courses at other universities.... jh890 Academics 2 06-08-2011 11:11 AM
Taking courses after graduating? Mr.Prodigy Academics 3 06-05-2010 06:49 PM
Taking 2 conflicting courses hans23 Academics 5 06-01-2010 02:03 PM
Taking 3rd Yr Courses In 2nd Yr lucc General Discussion 7 06-25-2009 10:03 PM

Is anyone taking these courses right now?

Old 10-22-2011 at 10:19 AM   #1
Aeria

Liked: 9 Times

Is anyone taking these courses right now?
I'm talking about:

MATH 1B03
PHYSICS 1L03
PHYSICS 1B03
HLTH AGE 1BB3
HLTH AGE 1AA3
COMP SCI 1TA3
PSYCH....
BIO 1M03

I'm thinking of taking them as an elective next term. I'm in interested in all of their material. I would appreciate some first hand advice about

1) Workload
2) Difficulty
3) Evaluation
4) Objectiveness e.g. less essays, writing etc.

I've already looked at all the course reviews but some of these courses have changed recently.

Thanks so much

Last edited by Aeria : 10-22-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-22-2011 at 11:15 AM   #2
kaitotst

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeria View Post
I'm talking about:

MATH 1B03
PHYSICS 1L03
PHYSICS 1B03
HLTH AGE 1BB3
HLTH AGE 1AA3
COMP SCI 1TA3
PSYCH....
BIO 1M03

I'm thinking of taking them as an elective next term. I'm in interested in all of their material. I would appreciate some first hand advice about

1) Workload
2) Difficulty
3) Evaluation

I've already looked at all the course reviews but some of these courses have changed recently.

Thanks so much
MATH 1B03

I think it's a pretty doable course, the content's not so difficult and you don't' have to do a lot of readings like Bio or chem, cause most of the stuff they teach you, they teach you in class. I had Krepski amazing prof.
The tests were pretty meh... the last midterm wasn't too bad, but it wasn't a breeze either and there's this project we had to do using excel that sounds pretty hard according to most people.

Mainly this course is all about working with matrices, so you'd only have to practice certain types of questions and know the theorems/rules. No proofs (so far)

Aeria says thanks to kaitotst for this post.
Old 10-22-2011 at 11:39 AM   #3
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
I'm talking about:

MATH 1B03
PHYSICS 1L03
PHYSICS 1B03
HLTH AGE 1BB3
HLTH AGE 1AA3
COMP SCI 1TA3
PSYCH....
BIO 1M03

1) Workload
2) Difficulty
3) Evaluation

Thanks so much
I'll just do the ones I've taken/TAed

Math 1B03
1) Moderate
2) Low (It's all introductory to linear algebra, you're basically learning counting, adding, subtracting etc all the way up to basic algebra in a new form of math)
3) Project, Quizzes, Midterm, Exam
4) Fair

Physics 1B03
1) Somewhat High
2) Moderate to extremely difficult, depending on your understanding/ability to apply physics concepts
3) iClicker Qs, Capa, Midterm, Labs, Exam
4) Fair, but people always complain anyway >_<

Psych 1X03
1) Somewhat high (4% Quiz every week, Weekly tutorial, weekly discussion Qs, Exam)
2) The Quizes this year are somewhat difficult, It's hard to consistently get a 10/10 on them, and the exam can be a bit hard if you're not used to application questions and Dr. Kim's testing style
3) Mentioned in workload
4) Fair

Psych 1XX3
1) About par with 1X03, maybe a bit more work due to the project
2) About par with 1X03
3) 1% Quiz every week, Weekly tutorial, weekly discussion Qs, Midterm, Project, Exam
4) Fair, but some people do complain about the marking of the project

Bio 1M03
1) Small
2) Not too difficult at all, can be a bit boring if you don't like the material though
3) Tutorials, Midterm, Exam (I think there are quizzes too)
4) Fair

Aeria says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.

icecubz likes this.
Old 10-22-2011 at 01:29 PM   #4
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Hlth Age 1BB3 is pretty easy...I'd take it.

Aeria says thanks to Biochem47 for this post.

mc_kumar likes this.
Old 10-22-2011 at 01:32 PM   #5
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

MATHS 1B03

1) Fair, not too much.
2) Depends on your understanding, but it's not too hard.
3)Weekly assignments, and two projects in the whole term. .__. Plus two midterms.
4) ? How fair is the marking? Pretty good. The online HW thing is amazing, since you get unlimited tries.

Did I get that right? Also, Dr. Krepski is AMAZING. He explains things very well.

Aeria says thanks to Faer for this post.
Old 10-22-2011 at 01:55 PM   #6
Aeria

Liked: 9 Times

Thanks so much to all those who replied! You are all amazing!

Essentially my concerns are:

HLTH AGE 1BB3: Writing reflection/essay thing, doing readings
MATH 1B03: I've only done MATH 1LS3 in which the workload is non-existent and most of it is review so the projects seem time-consuming
BIO 1M03: Doing readings, memorizing

Essentially I'm trying to find a course similar to MATH 1LS3 or even CHEM 1A03 in which the focus is on understanding and thinking (not memorizing) and there are little/no essays, readings/subjective evaluations.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?
Old 10-22-2011 at 02:01 PM   #7
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Quote:
Thanks so much to all those who replied! You are all amazing!

Essentially my concerns are:

HLTH AGE 1BB3: Writing reflection/essay thing, doing readings
MATH 1B03: I've only done MATH 1LS3 in which the workload is non-existent and most of it is review so the projects seem time-consuming
BIO 1M03: Doing readings, memorizing

Essentially I'm trying to find a course similar to MATH 1LS3 or even CHEM 1A03 in which the focus is on understanding and thinking (not memorizing) and there are little/no essays, readings/subjective evaluations.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?
I took Math 1LS3/1LT3 stream last year and am now in math&stats. You really shouldn't underestimate this stream..There are quite a few things I learned last year that the 1X/1A stream didn't learn that we are learning this year.

That being said, I also took Math 1B03 and it wasn't much different than Math 1LS3 in terms of workload...You have homework problems, and online assignments (similar to mastering chem....). They help you understand if anything.

So if you are looking for a course that isn't based on memorizing go with Math 1B....in hlth age 1bb3 ... all it is is memorizing.

EDIT: Another course you might consider taking is Math 1LT3.
Old 10-23-2011 at 09:19 PM   #8
mc_kumar

Liked: 13 Times

HLTH AGE 1BB3 really easy course.

I ended up getting a 7, and the only thing I put effort into was my essay.

7 isnt great, but its good enough for me.
Old 10-23-2011 at 10:20 PM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

For Hth Age 1BB3, for a 9+, I would say you have to do the readings. However, I did all of mine before the midterm and exam and still ended up with a decent grade. Also, the reflection is like a journal entry and the class average was an 80 for it. As long as you follow the guidelines for it and make it personal, you'll get an 80+.
Old 10-23-2011 at 10:45 PM   #10
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

Definitely HLTH AGE 1BB3. As long as you follow instructions for the reflective paper you should get a good grade. The midterm and exam were all MC and very fair. I didn't keep up with all the readings and still managed to get a 9 in it.