MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conflicting Courses rakhrans Academics 10 06-12-2010 07:19 PM
what to do if conflicting courses and both courses are very required? killza Academics 11 06-12-2010 05:08 PM
How Do I Know If My Courses Are Conflicting? smartguy_263 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 07-02-2009 08:13 PM
Taking 3rd Yr Courses In 2nd Yr lucc General Discussion 7 06-25-2009 10:03 PM
Conflicting Core Courses mellye First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 70 06-18-2009 03:42 PM

Taking 2 conflicting courses

Old 06-01-2010 at 08:33 AM   #1
hans23

Liked: 0 Times

Taking 2 conflicting courses
Hi,

I'm having trouble with this timetable conflict..
I'm in a situation where I need to take both Biochem 4N03 and Bio 3UU3 in term 2 but all lecture times conflict with each other.
So I'm thinking of taking both anyway but go to one class (probably 4N03) and record the other (probably 3UU3) and study on my own (with the recordings, courseware, etc).

I'm not sure if this is a good idea.. has anyone ever done a similar thing?
Also, is it true that you can't be excused from a test if tests from both classes happen to be at the same time (= you get a zero in one class)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-01-2010 at 09:35 AM   #2
X!Bilet

Liked: 4 Times

It is highly unlikely that such a conflict would arise of two courses having the same test day but if it were to then no you would not get a 0 in one. Either, you would write it on an earlier day or what has happened to me in the past is, that it is allocated towards the exam in the course that you did not write it in. I have known people who have just gotten "medical notes" to excuse themselves from writing one.. but if its in the same slot then ya just speak to guidance before you begin. It should work out fine. I did this with philosophy and biochem and it was the same scheduling conflict; however, there was no an actual conflict in test scheduling.
Old 06-01-2010 at 10:34 AM   #3
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by X!Bilet View Post
It is highly unlikely that such a conflict would arise of two courses having the same test day but if it were to then no you would not get a 0 in one. Either, you would write it on an earlier day or what has happened to me in the past is, that it is allocated towards the exam in the course that you did not write it in. I have known people who have just gotten "medical notes" to excuse themselves from writing one.. but if its in the same slot then ya just speak to guidance before you begin. It should work out fine. I did this with philosophy and biochem and it was the same scheduling conflict; however, there was no an actual conflict in test scheduling.

If you deliberately take courses that conflict if there is a test or exam scheduled at the same time you cannot defer it, aka take one at another time b/c you chose to take courses that conflict.
Old 06-01-2010 at 01:23 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
If you deliberately take courses that conflict if there is a test or exam scheduled at the same time you cannot defer it, aka take one at another time b/c you chose to take courses that conflict.
Tests are different. You can ask the professor to have an early write for the tests. It happens all the time, when courses have tests on the same day. Most of the time teachers someone communicate with each other, but that's usually for those in the same department.

Exams are different however, if you have exams at the same time then nothing can be done. The registrar schedules exams in such a way that non-conflicting courses don't have conflicts during exam times.
Old 06-01-2010 at 01:57 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Has that ever actually happened? I can't imagine the registrar being that cruel.
Old 06-01-2010 at 02:03 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Has that ever actually happened? I can't imagine the registrar being that cruel.
The only way is if you defer the exam. I don't think they would bother to defer the exam for one person that took conflicting courses on purpose. Maybe if there are other students that have valid reasons, then the person taking conflicting courses could take part in the deferred exam.

But I really don't think the professor would write another exam for one student who took conflicting courses.

Are exams even rewritten? I would assume so, but who knows.