MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking courses after graduating? Mr.Prodigy Academics 3 06-05-2010 06:49 PM
Taking 2 conflicting courses hans23 Academics 5 06-01-2010 02:03 PM
taking engineering courses in other universities? mikefung Academics 4 01-30-2010 01:13 PM
Taking first year courses John H General Discussion 13 09-10-2009 09:17 PM
Taking summer courses at a different University? zemianr Academics 5 08-13-2008 01:45 PM

Taking 3rd Yr Courses In 2nd Yr

Old 08-08-2007 at 10:20 AM   #1
lucc

Liked: 0 Times

Taking 3rd Yr Courses In 2nd Yr
Hello everyone,

I wonder if anyone on here has any experience with this. As a student going into 2nd year enrolled in the History program, I am required to take 3 history courses - one that falls under the heading "The Americas", one under "Ancient World", and one under "Europe". For 2 of those sections I selected 2nd year courses (ie. course code 2___). But for "The Americas", almost all of the options I have are already full, or they are courses that I simply do not want to take. I took a 3rd year course instead to fill that requirement (ie. course code 3___). This course has no specific prerequesites, and SOLAR seems to have given me the OK. Plus, it's a course that I'm actually interested in.

Does anyone know how this might pan out for me in the upcoming years? I was told by a friend that in 3rd year I would be able to take a 2nd year course to even things out. What does everyone think? Thanks.
Old 08-08-2007 at 10:47 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Hey lucc

I ended up doing similar when I was in second year -- but that was for CSCT classes. I managed okay in all three; although the profs weren't as lax on some things (ie citing errors) as they were for a third year class.

Also, in your third year as a history student, you'll need to take a fourth year seminar...as otherwise apparently you'll die trying to take two seminars in a year.
Old 08-08-2007 at 10:50 AM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

weird. i just posted and the stupid thing disappeared...

anywhoo, lucc, i think you will be okay.

i did it myself for CSCT courses and i managed pretty well. the only difference i really saw was that the profs were more strict with citing, and we didn't have tutorials. i don't know if the same applies with history, however. i do have a feeling that it's not reconmended to take upper year courses as a first year as you would be WAY out of your element, as you are new to university and whatnot.

i do know in history there is a reconmendation for you to take one of your seminars in third year, as otherwise you will probably die from the work if you take both in your fourth year.
Old 08-08-2007 at 11:51 AM   #4
lucc

Liked: 0 Times

Yeah I think I'll be ok too but I'm going to call the faculty just to make sure. I want an answer to this once and for all thanks for your help!
Old 06-25-2009 at 10:20 AM   #5
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I know this is an old thread, but no use in starting a new one. :]

I wanted to know.. like say, I'm in linguistics and eventually I will have to take 3rd year Phonology and the prereq for that is 2nd year Phonetics. If I were to take Phonetics in first term, which I am, could I sign up for Phonology for second term?
Old 06-25-2009 at 10:51 AM   #6
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

I think you can.

In Science, there are similar situations: e.g. people take Chem 1A03 in first term, the prereq for Chem 1AA3 in 2nd term.

I think if you fail the first term course, you will just be forced out of the 2nd term course.
Old 06-25-2009 at 09:52 PM   #7
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Okay on that note how rigorous and demanding are 3rd year Religious study courses? The Second year Islamic Studies course is not offered this year and Instead I have a choice to take 3C03 which is Islam and the Modern world(for which I assume there will be thesis and long essays involved). So does anyone know how different it would be from a first year experience with essays?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 06-25-2009 at 10:03 PM   #8
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Okay on that note how rigorous and demanding are 3rd year Religious study courses? The Second year Islamic Studies course is not offered this year and Instead I have a choice to take 3C03 which is Islam and the Modern world(for which I assume there will be thesis and long essays involved). So does anyone know how different it would be from a first year experience with essays?
A probably pretty accurate generalization: The reading would be much more demanding and the prof would expect higher quality work. Probably not a good idea to take it as an elective... wait until the course outline comes out so you know what you'd be getting yourself into.

huzaifa47 says thanks to .:callen:. for this post.