MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are deferred exams generally harder than exams written during exam period? User22 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-15-2012 03:04 PM
TIPS: Prepping for exams (and where to get past exams) Chad MacInsiders Announcements 9 11-16-2011 09:12 PM
Appealing marks after term is over cowpuppy Academics 9 01-22-2010 09:36 AM
Exams HG88 Academics 6 08-16-2009 11:52 PM
Appealing Marks? Taya General Discussion 1 03-30-2009 11:01 AM

Appealing Exams

Old 01-10-2013 at 04:10 PM   #1
dilemma15

Liked: 0 Times

Appealing Exams
I felt confident about a History exam, but then ended up with a 72 on it, which lowered my final grade by one point.

I am only hesitating about appealing because I am worried they would lower my grade "to teach me a lesson" so I would never appeal again...

If you have appealed a mark in history before, could you please share what the outcome was?

Thanks!!!
Old 01-10-2013 at 04:14 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Before you appeal, did you ask to see your exam and have the prof explain to you why you lost the marks you did?

Also, if you google "appeal exam mcmaster" and click on the first link it will give you more information. The appeal procedures are the same for the entire university.
The chair of the department selects someone to reread the exam, and the person doesn't necessarily have to be part of McMaster University.

Edit: I just started reading through the document, and a change for one grade point isn't enough.

Quote:
(iv) The re-read/re-assessment results shall be considered in accordance with procedures approved by the appropriate Faculty. In the absence of an established Faculty policy, the following shall apply:
A grade change of three points or greater on the McMaster University twelve-point grading scale (e.g. B to A, but not D+ to C-) ; or
A grade change that determines a Pass or Fail on the course; or
A grade change that affects the eligibility of the student for entry into a program;

shall result in a revision of the grade and will be reflected in the course mark.

(v) The Associate/Assistant Dean shall notify the student and the instructor of the decision in writing, normally within three weeks of receiving the Chair’s report. If the grade is raised as the result of a re-read/re- assessment [as defined in (iv)] the fee will be refunded.
Honestly, I really don't think it's worth your time or money to appeal.

First, you got a 72 on the exam. That's not bad enough that there was a serious error. If the marking was consistent throughout all the students, then it's a fair mark. Second, you could have just done worse on the exam than you thought. Third, even if you do appeal, if the most it will change your final grade is by one point, then that's not even considered a good enough reason based on the document I'm reading.

Last edited by starfish : 01-10-2013 at 04:23 PM.

dilemma15 says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 01-10-2013 at 04:38 PM   #3
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

I thought for a second this was a thread that was about exams that were appealing, ie. those that you wanted to write...never mind then

dilemma15, Kudos like this.