MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chatr LAUNCHED! (New provider) blackdragon Computers & Tech 64 09-05-2010 05:15 AM
Proud Hamilton Hunt - Win an iPad! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-16-2010 10:01 AM
Reviews System Launched Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 06-16-2008 06:05 PM

Apple launched the iPad

Old 01-27-2010 at 04:06 PM   #16
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

I like it. Tablet PCs suck (imo a laptop with a touch screen isn't that great), and i'm glad the iPad (ugh hate the name though) isn't trying to be one. It seems more like a bigger iPod touch which is awesome for those who want a portable media device. This might be the next apple product I buy (my current laptop should last me for the rest of university and I would rather have a separate phone) when the price drops down (i.e., right before apple releases the next version of it )
Old 01-27-2010 at 04:07 PM   #17
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

ye im not too fond of the name, i would've preferred islate
Old 01-27-2010 at 04:10 PM   #18
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
ye im not too fond of the name, i would've preferred islate
Yeah, I think they actually mentioned it on the 6 o'clock news last night that it was a possible name.
Old 01-27-2010 at 04:16 PM   #19
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

it was indeed considered, in fact apple had filed for a patent for islate, then a few days ago filed one for ipad leaving everyone confused. Meh, it doesnt even matter apple could put there symbol on a garbage bag and it would sell in large quantities.

sniderj likes this.
Old 01-27-2010 at 04:22 PM   #20
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

I found this comment somewhere else and found it funny.

"Just yesterday I was looking at my iPhone thinking "Hmmm, I wish this thing didn't fit in my pocket." Then I looked over to my netbook and couldn't help but feel it would benefit from losing the keyboard and being made of 50% glass.
Finally apple gives me what I wish."

Tailsnake likes this.
Old 01-27-2010 at 04:22 PM   #21
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
Do your textbooks weigh 90g? Apple has partnered with several large companies to provide students of textbooks compatible with the ipad. If it has abilities to highlight and make notes on the textbooks, and if my textbooks were available for it id definitely purchase one.
i didn't say textbooks, i said books,

but you present a good point there, notetaking and book reading, now if only this POS could multi-task I would've seen a huge market for students.

you can either highlight and read the book, or bookmark it, exit the app, open the note taking app and takes notes, repeat. No Win

@zango, how many books do you read at one time away from home? (excluding text books ofcourse, read above)

Last edited by Afzal : 01-27-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-27-2010 at 04:27 PM   #22
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

It will eventually support multitasking I'm guessing.

It's not the TABLET that can't support multitasking, its the OPERATING SYSTEM.

Since it's running on iPhone OS 3.2 or whatever.

So just wait until June, at WWDC or possible even earlier, when they announce iphone os 4.0, hope for multitasking then.
Old 01-27-2010 at 04:40 PM   #23
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
It will eventually support multitasking I'm guessing.

It's not the TABLET that can't support multitasking, its the OPERATING SYSTEM.

Since it's running on iPhone OS 3.2 or whatever.

So just wait until June, at WWDC or possible even earlier, when they announce iphone os 4.0, hope for multitasking then.
till june? why not now? you know, if this thing ran on OSX, Apple would've hit bullseye (apart from the name). anyways, only time will tell if this thing is worth what Apple is making it out to be.

Right now reactions are mixed but many artists who were expecting the next big thing are disappointed
Old 01-27-2010 at 04:46 PM   #24
zango
Elite Member

Because, June is when the World Wide Developer Conference (WWDC) is for Apple. That's when they announce new versions of the iPhone OS, as well as when they announced the iPhone 3GS, as well as every other iPhone to date. This June is when the iPhone 3.0 came out as well.

The WWDC in June is likely Apple's next big event, unless of course they have an earlier one, who knows with regards to what was announced today.

I need to say this now lol

Maybe there will be updates every 28-31 days, you know, because it is the iPad and all... ahaha im so clever.
Old 01-27-2010 at 04:50 PM   #25
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Because, June is when the World Wide Developer Conference (WWDC) is for Apple. That's when they announce new versions of the iPhone OS, as well as when they announced the iPhone 3GS, as well as every other iPhone to date. This June is when the iPhone 3.0 came out as well.

The WWDC in June is likely Apple's next big event, unless of course they have an earlier one, who knows with regards to what was announced today.

I need to say this now lol

Maybe there will be updates every 28-31 days, you know, because it is the iPad and all... ahaha im so clever.
lool...that would hint an unfinished product new fw every month
Old 01-27-2010 at 04:58 PM   #26
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Right now reactions are mixed but many artists who were expecting the next big thing are disappointed
Its the first gen of a new product. I dont think they'll be disappointed. When I worked for Apple, I talked to people everyday that were professional artists in all respects (I talked to people from Skywalker Ranch, Dreamworks, and too many music production companies to count), and one thing they all had in common was they NEVER bought a first gen product, so the kinks could be worked out by others before they dropped their money on it.
Old 01-27-2010 at 05:00 PM   #27
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Apple always has new stuff in january as well as the WWDC. Even if its just a revision to an existing product, you can count on january and June for new stuff and big announcements.
Old 01-27-2010 at 05:00 PM   #28
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Sorry if it's been mentioned but it has 10 hours of battery, which is pretty good.

It seems like a laptop to me? It looks interesting, and I might get one in the future since I don't have an iPhone, Macbook, iPod or iPod Touch. I'm amazed at how cheap it is.

Apparently it will be in Canada in 60 days. I'm sure you can order it online before then.
Old 01-27-2010 at 05:05 PM   #29
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the keyboard...

It's pretty different using an iphone keyboard. It's hard to get used to, no doubt. but you can hold it comfortably while doing so.

It looks like typing on this would be a handful. I can't tell how big it is, but it literally looks like you'd be pushing the screen with your 2 index fingers.

I dunno, I can't explain it. It just looks... awkward to use.

Like it's not a realkeyboard but it's also not small enough to make it easier to use.

Edit: I agree that it definitely looks more comfortable than a laptop... but I don't imagine ever buying it. From what I've read, it does everything my laptop and iphone do, except it's got a worse keyboard..

It's too little for too much. I don't see the point. Whatever I needed it for, I could either use my iphone or laptop. And if I had to choose between carrying my laptop and carrying the iPad, I'd carry my laptop around. Especially since it already has all my shit installed onto it and whatnot.

I also don't understand the big deal about the name? Some of you are being a little immature, don't you think? I mean, do you snicker every time someone says pad of paper too?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 01-27-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-27-2010 at 05:11 PM   #30
zango
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Apple always has new stuff in january as well as the WWDC. Even if its just a revision to an existing product, you can count on january and June for new stuff and big announcements.
Lol, man I don't know where you've been, but its January 27th today... This is it for Apple stuff until June.

As for the keyboard, you can lay the device kinda flat and type like a normal keyboard. There's also a peripheral coming out that docks the device in portrait mode and has a physical keyboard.