MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re-applying to a program smile Academics 4 08-16-2010 05:39 PM
Applying to Co-Op Theashe First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-29-2010 02:35 PM
Applying for reinstatement ali999 Academics 3 05-02-2009 10:50 PM
Applying for a JOB!!! ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-17-2008 09:22 PM
Applying to Level II program sad cypress First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-15-2008 09:54 AM

Applying for a program problem!?

Old 12-12-2008 at 10:37 AM   #1
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Applying for a program problem!?
Hey guys, I am kind of worried about next year because here is what my situation is: I am in first year, in the social science program and these are my courses:

1st term: Bio 1M03, Social Work 1A06, Psych 1X03, Women Stud. 1A03
2nd term: Social Work 1A06, Psych 1XX3, Labour Stud. 1A03, Labor Stud. 1C03
and Gerontology 1A03

My goal is to apply for the BSW/BA program with the BA in Gerontology. Would this still be possible considering I droppped a course 1st term and thus will be taking a course in the summer to get that credit. I was told that I would not be able to apply for the actual BSW/BA program this year and would have to do it next year, since I will lack one course but I can still apply for my BA in Gerontology as long as I have the prereq (which I will at the end of 2nd term). Is this true??

Please any thoughts and helpful suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks!
Old 12-12-2008 at 11:11 AM   #2
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

I was looking into this program too a while ago, and I'm pretty sure it says on the website that you have to complete 30 units by April. Therefore, I don't think you will be eligible to enter the program for next year unless you take 6 courses 2nd term.

EDIT:

Quote:
Application Policies Eligibility B.A./B.S.W. Program
  1. completion of any Level I program (30 units/5 full credits) or equivalent
  2. the following course prerequisites:
    1. successful completion of six units from SOCIOL 1A06 or SOC WORK 1A06 (see Note 1 below) or equivalent;
    2. successful completion of six additional units from the Course List (see Note 2 below);
  3. normally a University average of a least 6.0 (C+ or 67%) or its equivalent, calculated on the most recent 30 units of university level work completed;
  4. Applicants must COMPLETE Level I and all prerequisite courses by April of the year in which application is made.
http://www.socsci.mcmaster.c a/socwork/ugrdprog/admissions_full_time. cfm

Last edited by dvy88 : 12-12-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2008 at 02:04 PM   #3
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

I dont have any experience with this specific program, but my advice is to mirror the second year program when you sign up for courses next year. That way when it comes time to applying for the program next year you will have all the classes needed. I know other people who have done this (for biology though).

I hope that helps

**jewel 03** says thanks to JeffB for this post.
Old 12-12-2008 at 04:29 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I did it for Honours Anthro.

Social Work complicates things, though.

You can contact the department and find out more, however.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-12-2008 at 06:32 PM   #5
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

I looked up this program, and it says "All courses are open only to Social Work students unless otherwise specified.". There is a list of courses that are open to anyone, but most, if not all, are not courses that are requirements for the program. It would be difficult to shadow Social Work due to these restrictions.

However, if I am wrong and you can shadow the program, you could potentially apply for advanced standing and save yourself a bit of time.

Contact the Social Work department:

Lorna O'Connell
Administrative Assistant
(905) 525-9140, ext 23795
Email: [email protected]

**jewel 03** says thanks to nh999 for this post.