MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Applying for reinstatement vittycakes Academics 3 03-14-2013 08:10 PM
Applying to Co-Op Theashe First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-29-2010 02:35 PM
applying for reinstatement myInteger Academics 30 06-26-2009 01:32 AM
Applying for reinstatement ali999 Academics 3 05-02-2009 10:50 PM
Applying for a JOB!!! ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-17-2008 09:22 PM

applying for reinstatement

Old 05-05-2013 at 03:26 PM   #1
kev321

Liked: 0 Times

applying for reinstatement
I just finished my 3rd year in chem Eng and my CA is 3.7 which is less than 4, and the guidance councilor said I need to apply for reinstatement in order to stay in Engineering faculty but there is no guarantee the department will take me back. :(

I will take summer school this summer but the guidance councilor said it's not gonna help my average.

Are these sufficient reasons for me to get back in engineering this September? Is it hard to pass the reinstatement? Have anyone tried this and successes?
Old 05-05-2013 at 03:29 PM   #2
MacNeuro

Liked: 76 Times

For reinstatement you need to demonstrate that there were extenuating circumstances which led to the low marks. You also need to convince the committee that you can now overcome these challenges and know how to handle whatever problems there were so that you are successful in their program. All of this needs to be done within a letter you submit to the faculty.

There are others here who have gone through the process who may provide more specific details.

kev321 says thanks to MacNeuro for this post.
Old 05-05-2013 at 03:36 PM   #3
kev321

Thanks phavalan!

I heard that it's hard to pass the reinstatement and I knew someone who did this before and still been kicked out. So I am really worried.
Old 05-05-2013 at 03:45 PM   #4
yskim2148

Liked: 2 Times

Remember they get tons of reinstatement form each year with all those excuses.

without any legal document from a doctor, councilor or whatever explaining your situation

most likely not.

kev321 says thanks to yskim2148 for this post.
Old 05-05-2013 at 03:47 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Just to be clear, you're applying for reinstatement TO ENGINEERING, not reinstatement TO THE UNIVERSITY.
You have not been kicked out of Mac, yes? So it's not the typical reinstatement process. What process did the advisor tell you to go through?

You asked if your reasons are sufficient though, but you didn't give any reasons.

kev321 says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 05-05-2013 at 04:00 PM   #6
kev321

academic councilor said the grades and result of session will be posted on May 28th. Before May 28th there won't be any academic status changes. But I can calculate my CA myself cuz I can see my grade from MUGSI
Old 05-05-2013 at 04:03 PM   #7
kev321

How is it possible to get any legal document :(
Old 05-05-2013 at 04:06 PM   #8
kev321

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Just to be clear, you're applying for reinstatement TO ENGINEERING, not reinstatement TO THE UNIVERSITY.
You have not been kicked out of Mac, yes? So it's not the typical reinstatement process. What process did the advisor tell you to go through?

You asked if your reasons are sufficient though, but you didn't give any reasons.
I think the average should be less than 3 to be kicked out of mac. Less than 4 is said that I can not stay in Engineering. But I like chem eng and i really wanna stay
Old 05-05-2013 at 04:26 PM   #9
starfish
Elite Member

"Legal documents" backing up your reasons for doing poorly. That's the process for reinstatement to the university, I'm not sure what the process is for engineering, though having proof can't hurt.

You haven't really given us any information, so I'm not sure what you're looking for.
Old 05-05-2013 at 04:51 PM   #10
kev321

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
"Legal documents" backing up your reasons for doing poorly. That's the process for reinstatement to the university, I'm not sure what the process is for engineering, though having proof can't hurt.

You haven't really given us any information, so I'm not sure what you're looking for.
My situation is that i am in engineering faculty but my CA is 3<CA<4 (engineering faculty needs a CA >4) Mac needs a CA >3 to stay in university. I am not been kick out from Mac, I am kicked out from engineering. But I don't want to change faculty. So the advisor said for this situation, I can apply for reinstatement to stay in chem eng department
Old 05-05-2013 at 05:35 PM   #11
islytt

Liked: 5 Times

just write a great letter and apply for reinstatement! you should be fine

kev321 says thanks to islytt for this post.
Old 05-05-2013 at 05:37 PM   #12
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev321 View Post
My situation is that i am in engineering faculty but my CA is 3<CA<4 (engineering faculty needs a CA >4) Mac needs a CA >3 to stay in university. I am not been kick out from Mac, I am kicked out from engineering. But I don't want to change faculty. So the advisor said for this situation, I can apply for reinstatement to stay in chem eng department
So what are the reasons for your average being low this semester?
if you can figure that out, and afterwards, genuinely believe that you should be given a second chance, because if you do get that second chance, you will give it a 110%, then you just have to explain that to them.. Being good with your words would really help in this situation.

kev321 says thanks to SweetyTweety for this post.
Old 05-05-2013 at 05:40 PM   #13
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev321 View Post
Yes, but you didn't say why your CA was low or what the reinstatement process is for engineering students who were kicked out of the faculty but not the university.

Simply "not wanting" to be kicked out isn't usually a good enough reason on its own, but so far it's all you've given us.
Old 05-05-2013 at 05:47 PM   #14
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Talk to Felipe (2f04 prof he deals with it). Explain where you went wrong what you want to improve etc etc. He's a nice guy so he'll prob pass it, 2 of my friends did. I'd suggest you writing a draft version anyways in case you need a written version.

Btw are you the kevin with the beard who also lived in hedden second floor on first year res, grouped with apoorv for 3g proj. Just curious

kev321 says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 05-05-2013 at 07:35 PM   #15
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

Wait, how do you only need a 4 average to stay in engineering? I need at least a 5+ to stay in honours philosophy, and that's just second year.. goes up to 6 for third.