MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Should I? How can I? [Common 1st Year questions] Cliu91 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-30-2011 07:44 PM
Theory vs Common sense darklink121 General Discussion 3 03-07-2011 08:26 PM
Common courtesy DannyV General Discussion 33 08-27-2009 10:14 PM
Common Rooms pocalyuko General Discussion 7 08-05-2009 08:39 PM
Applying for Residence too late? 910803 General Discussion 7 05-10-2009 01:53 PM

Applying For Residence - Common Q's

So you're applying for residence, awesome! There have been a few common questions posted in the MacInsiders forums about residence. Here's the answers!

P.S. If you just applied for Res... post your TOP RESIDENCE PICKS here!

Q: The most popular question: I have an X% average, will I get into residence?

A: Only students accepted to McMaster with 81% or higher average are guaranteed a residence room. Also note: You will need to have applied for res by June 3rd at 4pm and paid your $600 deposit.

Non-guaranteed students applying to residence before the application deadline will be placed on the waiting list in descending order based on admission average. Applications received after the deadline will be ordered on the waiting list according to date and time the application is received.

This means if you have an 80% average, or a 79% average, then you'll be at the top of the waiting list. Your chances will be the best. However, since we don't know exactly how many incoming first-year students have a 79-80% average, it's near impossible to say what your chances are at getting res.

Q: WHEN WILL I HEAR IF I MADE THE CUT AND GOT A SPOT?

A: Students who have met the application deadline will be notified of their waiting list position one week after the residence application deadline. For all students applying after the deadline, waiting list positions will be posted within 5 business days. Students can view their waiting list positions on the online Residence Portal.

The deadline is June 3rd. Which means you'll hear from McMaster regarding the waiting list by June 10th or so...

Q: What's the chances of me getting X residence?

A: Most students request singles or the 'nicer' rooms (ie. Les Prince or Mary Keyes) but not everyone can get their first pick! To make things fair, the rooms are given based on a LOTTERY system. You are NOT guaranteed to get a room that is the style you requested on your application. In fact, most students will get a double room.

Q: How does this 'lottery' work exactly?

A: A computerized lottery is used to determine the order in which residence rooms are assigned. This process takes into consideration, but does not guarantee the preferences you list on your application.
As each student is assigned, the computer checks to see if the first preference listed on the application form is available. If so, the student is assigned to that room. If not, the computer checks the next preference. This continues until the student is either assigned to one of their preferences, or in the event that none of the preferences are available, assigned to another bed space.

During this process, the computer also checks to see if the student has applied for any lifestyle-themes (i.e substance-free) and/or whether they requested a roommate.

Your profile question responses on the online application are also used to determine your placement with other students.
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search