MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cliff Jumping in the area lawleypop Athletics & Recreation 23 03-04-2010 04:29 PM
anyone live at 191 Main St W????? macculkin General Discussion 5 07-04-2009 02:50 AM
Hamilton Area Code? dr34mXXX First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 08-26-2008 09:43 AM
Election Ballot Totals (1st round) Get Updated Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-04-2008 01:33 PM
New Laptop Area in Mills! KristaG General Discussion 1 12-14-2007 08:00 PM

How is the area around Erie and Main?

Old 03-02-2011 at 10:34 PM   #1
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

How is the area around Erie and Main?
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...,0.004823&z=18

Anyone lives east of Downtown past Victoria and Main? In specific, Erie and Main by the No Frills?

If possible, can you comment on how the area is?
Old 03-02-2011 at 10:44 PM   #2
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

Quite honestly, the area between Wellington and Gage Park makes me nervous.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 03-02-2011 at 10:55 PM   #3
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
Quite honestly, the area between Wellington and Gage Park makes me nervous.
Can you elaborate? Why does it make you nervous? What have you experience? What have you heard?

I'm about to sign a lease to an apartment there so I would like as much information as possible. I came from another city, so my knowledge of Hamilton is quite poor. Did hear how "sketchy" Downtown could be. It is east of it though...
Old 03-02-2011 at 10:58 PM   #4
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Can you elaborate? Why does it make you nervous? What have you experience? What have you heard?

I'm about to sign a lease to an apartment there so I would like as much information as possible. I came from another city, so my knowledge of Hamilton is quite poor. Did hear how "sketchy" Downtown could be though. It is east of it though...
Well, last year I lived downtown by St. Joes, which was fine. But I started finding Hamilton more "sketchy" the east I go. One time I was on the bus heading east and two people got into a fight on the bus, and were threatening to punch each other. So I got scared and got off, so that's partially why the east end scares me.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
Old 03-02-2011 at 11:02 PM   #5
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Well, last year I lived downtown by St. Joes, which was fine. But I started finding Hamilton more "sketchy" the east I go. One time I was on the bus heading east and two people got into a fight on the bus, and were threatening to punch each other. So I got scared and got off, so that's partially why the east end scares me.
That is quite traumatic.

Is this your only exposure to the east side? Why were you heading east? Is it a regular occurrence? If it is, how have you cope in term of transportation?

Was the final destination within the Wellington and Gage boundary? How is that location?
Old 03-02-2011 at 11:05 PM   #6
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Quote:
That is quite traumatic though I'm sure.

Is this your only exposure to the east side? Why were you heading east? Is it a regular occurrence? If it is, how have you cope in term of transportation?

Was the final destination within the Wellington and Gage boundary? How is that location?
Well this was about two years ago, I was heading to Eastgate Square, but I gave up, it was early evening. I've gone on the bus a few times before weekend afternoons and it's not as bad. But those are the only other times I've headed east.

James CW
Old 03-02-2011 at 11:09 PM   #7
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Well this was about two years ago, I was heading to Eastgate Square, but I gave up, it was early evening. I've gone on the bus a few times before weekend afternoons and it's not as bad. But those are the only other times I've headed east.
Thank you for your inputs!

Hopefully more will participate in order to round out the overall experience.
Old 03-02-2011 at 11:09 PM   #8
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I bought weed from a stranger there last week during Reading Week. Does that help?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-02-2011 at 11:09 PM   #9
Ziggi

Liked: 2 Times

I live fairly close to that area [around Wentworth] and have my entire life.
So, growing up here, I'm not that scared of the area. But it is a bit "sketchy" and can be kind of scary at night.
It just looks run down and there are a lot of "interesting" people around ... but I don't think they are that bad.
No one I know has ever experienced any trouble, that I know of. And you are in the South side of main, so that's kind of a plus.

This is just my personal experience, and I know the area gets a bad rap [It's still considered downtown to a lot of people] but it's not the scariest place ever, just lock your doors

Also, the rent's cheaper!
Old 03-02-2011 at 11:15 PM   #10
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Going east isnt scary as people say. Eastgate area isnt bad at all actually, isolated incidents happen everywhere. But this area does give me the creeps. If you're looking to rent downtown avoid anything close to main st. move more south, the closer to the escarpment the better!
Old 03-02-2011 at 11:17 PM   #11
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I bought weed from a stranger there last week during Reading Week. Does that help?
You got some weed at Erie and Main?

Is this the normal shopping place for such goods?
How was your impression of the place? Did you have total confident?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggi View Post
I live fairly close to that area [around Wentworth] and have my entire life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggi View Post

So, growing up here, I'm not that scared of the area. But it is a bit "sketchy" and can be kind of scary at night.
It just looks run down and there are a lot of "interesting" people around ... but I don't think they are that bad.
No one I know has ever experienced any trouble, that I know of. And you are in the South side of main, so that's kind of a plus.

This is just my personal experience, and I know the area gets a bad rap [It's still considered downtown to a lot of people] but it's not the scariest place ever, just lock your doors

Also, the rent's cheaper!

Do you live in a house or an apartment?

The rent is quite cheap indeed! The apartment I am interested only cost $650 (+hydro) for a 2 bedrooms with balcony and parking.

It will take me 15 more minutes to get to McMaster using bus comparing to my current location. However, the rooms are much larger. It seems more private due to it being an actual apartment. I currently live in a triplex house where I can hear everyone through the walls.

Balcony and parking spot just round out the overall package. Same price too!

Last edited by PHLN : 03-02-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-02-2011 at 11:21 PM   #12
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
Going east isnt scary as people say. Eastgate area isnt bad at all actually, isolated incidents happen everywhere. But this area does give me the creeps. If you're looking to rent downtown avoid anything close to main st. move more south, the closer to the escarpment the better!
The place is right at Erie and Main. There are buildings that are closer to the mountain walls but none has vacancy. For example Stinston and Erie or Stinston and East Avn.

What have you experience or heard that gives you the creeps? I need to know the reason why you have such negative feelings.

One advantage though is my balcony is not directly facing Main or Erie. Should drown out sirens from Emergency Vehicles eh?
Old 03-02-2011 at 11:28 PM   #13
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:

You got some weed at Erie and Main?

Is this the normal shopping place for such goods?
How was your impression of the place? Did you have total confident?
!

Idk. I was near the No Frills. Main and Emerald or something.
And IDK. It was a one time thing.
I've seen sketchier. Considering the dealer lived around the corner, it might be representative of what the general area is like. Or it could be a total coincidence.

whatever, it's just weed lol. There have been shootings on Dundurn and Main, location is pretty much irrelevant.

And yes I had total confidence, I'm bad ass.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-02-2011 at 11:29 PM   #14
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Idk. I was near the No Frills. Main and Emerald or something.
And IDK. It was a one time thing.
I've seen sketchier. Considering the dealer lived around the corner, it might be representative of what the general area is like. Or it could be a total coincidence.

whatever, it's just weed lol. There have been shootings on Dundurn and Main, location is pretty much irrelevant.
Quote:

My landlord seems very lax about weed.

When I was viewing the place. She mentioned the procedures for notices before landlord can enter the unit... Etc... Then she said something along the line of "I don't care what you do. Hydro is your, so you can grow weed if you want."
Old 03-02-2011 at 11:36 PM   #15
darkstar

Liked: 47 Times

That area is crack town and everything that comes with it.

I'm guessing you are a girl? If so I would never let my gf, daughter, sister or what have you live in that area. There are pockets of decent blocks in that area but I wouldn't live there and I have lived in Hamilton for 30 years.

Personally I wouldn't live anywhere north of main except in westdale or at least west of locke again. I also wouldn't go east of James unless it was up close to the mountain.

You might get lucky in that area but I wouldn't take the chance of living in a building with crackheads, hookers and single welfare moms with 5 little ******* kids screaming and yelling all day.