MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Around In Hamilton Ish001 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-25-2010 08:36 PM
What's Hamilton really like?! amitoj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 52 07-26-2010 07:24 AM
Plagiarism In University: How To Avoid It and What Happens If You Get Caught niteskie Academics 6 10-04-2009 02:21 AM
Hamilton Goce General Discussion 25 07-08-2009 04:02 PM
AVOID Humanities 2C03/CMST 2W03 v-pop Academics 17 12-11-2008 11:38 PM

Areas to avoid in Hamilton?

Old 07-06-2009 at 10:06 PM   #76
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Downtown Hamilton isn't bad at night. Sure, there are prostitutes, there are also prostitutes in downtown Toronto a few blocks away from Ryerson. Sup, Hookers Harveys.

If you use common sense: avoid the really sketchy areas, don't go into dark alleys by yourself, mind your own business, and try to avoid traveling by yourself ... you'll be fine.
Okay, it is bad at night if you can't walk around by yourself at night. It's not just prostitutes, it's drug addicts, gangs and other characters who I wouldn't want to mess with. It's totally fine for a guy to walk around apparently, because pretty much anyone who has said that downtown is fine at night, is a guy.

Toronto has sketch parts too that I don't walk around at night. I wouldn't catch myself in North York, and parts of downtown. I'm not familiar with the east end so I don't know about that. Every city has a sketchy part of it, so I don't know why everyone is so adamant about Hamilton being a perfect peaceful unsketchy city. No city like that exists, not anymore.
Old 07-06-2009 at 10:09 PM   #77
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

once again:

Quote:
avoid the really sketchy areas.
Downtown Hamilton really isn't that bad. There are some locations that are, but that's why you try to avoid them. Also, for the record, I'm not a boy.
Old 07-06-2009 at 10:48 PM   #78
feonateresa
Elite Member

Did you live downtown? I did, for about 8 months, and I hated it lol. I'd call it sketchy and avoidable at nighttime.
Old 07-06-2009 at 10:56 PM   #79
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

What part of downtown did you live in?

I've had friends who lived on King William Street (past the police station) and it was fine when I've visited and they seemed to be okay with it.
Old 07-06-2009 at 11:00 PM   #80
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
What part of downtown did you live in?

I've had friends who lived on King William Street (past the police station) and it was fine when I've visited and they seemed to be okay with it.
I would hope that the police station area is safe... otherwise it would make you think what the policemen/policewomen were doing
Old 07-06-2009 at 11:05 PM   #81
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Maybe it's just me but I find the time after these incidents is the safest time of all.
That's when everybody is really on guard and "DON'T TOUCH ME! DON'T TOUCH ME YOU PERVERT! GET AWAY! ...Oh...You just wanted to give me my cell phone. Thanks. HEY YOU LOOK LIKE THAT GUY ON THE NEWS! SECURITY! PERVERT! PERRRRVERRRRT!"

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-07-2009 at 02:36 PM   #82
SSCLeadership

Liked: 12 Times

Hey guys!

Nothing wrong with keeping an open mind and seeing things for yourself.

Whatever everybody else says is merely a myth. What you experience yourself is the truth.

Check this out!
http://macpopthebubble.wordp ress.com/
Old 07-22-2009 at 11:37 PM   #83
cowpuppy

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I wouldn't catch myself in North York, and parts of downtown.
Whaaaaaaat.

North York is great (and is also like, half of Toronto).
Old 07-22-2009 at 11:49 PM   #84
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpuppy View Post
Whaaaaaaat.

North York is great (and is also like, half of Toronto).
Lmao. I can't tell you how many times I've been honked at, and hit on by strange old men and guys who are fugly and obviously have no job in North York.

There's like nothing there except for like, Yorkdale, and Downsview ... outside of that, there isn't much except for lots of industrial buildings, apartment buildings and interesting (aka creepers) people walking around. Oh, and the crime, sexual assaults and shootings at night.

However, crime happens everywhere so who knows. I just don't like it up there haha.
Old 07-23-2009 at 01:06 AM   #85
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Lmao. I can't tell you how many times I've been honked at, and hit on by strange old men and guys who are fugly and obviously have no job in North York.

There's like nothing there except for like, Yorkdale, and Downsview ... outside of that, there isn't much except for lots of industrial buildings, apartment buildings and interesting (aka creepers) people walking around. Oh, and the crime, sexual assaults and shootings at night.

However, crime happens everywhere so who knows. I just don't like it up there haha.
Man, I spent 22 years in North York. I don't know whether to laugh, defend my hometown, or laugh at my desire to defend my hometown

daisy, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 07-23-2009 at 08:39 AM   #86
SSCLeadership

Liked: 12 Times

Hey guys! Wanna know what's cheap to do around Hamilton throughout the whole week? Check out our "Holy Moly! An entire week?!!?" post!
http://macpopthebubble.wordp ress.com/

Cheers
Old 07-23-2009 at 01:13 PM   #87
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Man, I spent 22 years in North York. I don't know whether to laugh, defend my hometown, or laugh at my desire to defend my hometown
Hey, it's cool. I live right below Eglinton near Dufferin, and that area isn't so great either. I believe it's called York... But like, all my friends who live in North York are all like really proud of it, and aren't super excited about downtown when I mention it. I'm not sure if it's because downtown is too far to get to, or if it's because they like North York so much. Either way, could be that North York is more than meets the eye. :]
Old 07-24-2009 at 12:00 AM   #88
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Haha I agree with Mark. But then again, I love this area.. despite the occassional things feona mentionned >.<. I just avoid thinking of that . It's true though, the area isn't the best. But it's not as bad as everyone makes it seem O.o

daisy likes this.
Old 07-24-2009 at 01:08 AM   #89
feonateresa
Elite Member

Yeah, I think all sketchy areas get played up a lot, no help from me in that department either haha. But generally these areas are safe enough. I wouldn't call any area in Toronto or Hamilton extremely dangerous, you just gotta have street smarts.
Old 07-24-2009 at 04:42 AM   #90
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Haha I agree with Mark. But then again, I love this area.. despite the occassional things feona mentionned >.<. I just avoid thinking of that . It's true though, the area isn't the best. But it's not as bad as everyone makes it seem O.o
Just to clarify, what "area" are we talking about? North york runs more or less from Steeles to Eglinton, and VP to the Humber...

Yonge and Steeles fo' lyfe!