MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Around In Hamilton Ish001 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-25-2010 08:36 PM
What's Hamilton really like?! amitoj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 52 07-26-2010 07:24 AM
Plagiarism In University: How To Avoid It and What Happens If You Get Caught niteskie Academics 6 10-04-2009 02:21 AM
Hamilton Goce General Discussion 25 07-08-2009 04:02 PM
AVOID Humanities 2C03/CMST 2W03 v-pop Academics 17 12-11-2008 11:38 PM

Areas to avoid in Hamilton?

Old 08-03-2009 at 01:58 PM   #106
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

Wow, i'm suprised you got mugged at 4 in the afternoon. I would've put up a fight, it's daylight, there's tons of people around. The moron probably would've got scared and ran off. I'd at least start yelling extremely loud ! hahahaha. I'm from Toronto, and i've lived in Mississauga as well, and have never heard of anything like that happening to anyone I know. In my opinion some areas in Toronto & the GTA are a lot worse than any part of Hamilton. I guess you just got really unlucky. Hopefully that doesn't happen again.
Old 08-03-2009 at 03:29 PM   #107
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
You know, that's f-ed up. Nothing bad has EVER happened to me or my friends in Toronto and there are tons of infamous areas. Oh, well, this random girl and her two friends were giving me a hard time because apparently I dress "white" for being a black person. But anyway, there was some physical fighting involved but I was too scared to really do anything, so I ended up smashing a glass bottle and yelling at her to leave me alone. (This was at Bloor Yonge subway, the like second busiest subway station in Toronto.) >.> I think they were drunk or high, but it was like 2 in the afternoon ... not that earliness stops teens from being dumbshits.
3 guys pulled a knife on me and tried to mug me outside Finch Station when I was 15, in broad daylight, during rush hour. Some people just don't care what time it is.
Old 08-03-2009 at 05:23 PM   #108
Maitland

Liked: 34 Times

I'm with everyone else that says Hamilton is totally safe. I was from a small town and wanted to experience downtown so me and some buddies went, not knowing bus services ended around 1am. At 3 or so, when we wanted to go home, we ended up walking from past Ivor Wynne back to Hess (where we finally broke down and paid a cab). We really got to know downtown, and I've loved going ever since. If you're scared, go in a group. Staying around mac is an unfortunate way to spend your university career just because there is so much more to Hamilton. Watch a movie at the Galaxy in Ancaster, go to Limeridge, check out Hamilton Indoor GoKarts downtown, or catch a Ticats or Bulldogs game. Sure, bad stuff happens. The bank in my town of 2800 people got robbed at gunpoint so am I supposed to avoid it now? Nah, Definitely get out and get to know the Hammer.

Old 08-07-2009 at 02:29 AM   #109
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

Dodgy people can be found anywhere, even in "safe" little Dundas or Ancaster.
i only avoid Barton street at night, but only at night ( driving) during the day everything is ok..
Old 08-08-2009 at 02:35 PM   #110
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
Dodgy people can be found anywhere, even in "safe" little Dundas or Ancaster.
i only avoid Barton street at night, but only at night ( driving) during the day everything is ok..
Seriously.

I know someone who was mugged in Westdale during the day.

The worst part about it, nobody was around to help her out.

daisy says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 08-11-2009 at 12:46 PM   #111
SSCLeadership

Liked: 12 Times

Hey guys,

Pop the Bubble has a new video up! Check it out
http://macpopthebubble.wordp ress.com/
Old 08-11-2009 at 11:01 PM   #112
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times

I've spent a lot of time in Westdale (well I live there), and a fair amount of time downtown and in the East end (since I work in that end). I have no problems with downtown/east end. I think people make the assumption that Westdale is the "safe place for students" and the rest of Hamilton is sketchy and dangerous .. surprisingly I have had more dangerous encounters in Westdale than anywhere else. I think it depends on what kind of situations you let yourself get into, rather than where you are.

Once, in WESTDALE (Dalewood between Sterling and King), two men in a van pulled up into a driveway and blocked my way, and and an exchange of words, I started walking away. When they continued calling at me, I started running away, they got out of the van and chased me until I started screaming loudly, then they ran back to the van and drove away. Another time, I was in Westdale, on King, a block away from Mac, and got chased by a pretty scary guy on a bicycle (not to label the guy, but I can't think of any other way to describe this man). Apart from the scary guy on the bike, the guys who tried to kidnap me were very "normal" looking.

While I won't deny that I see things in the rest of Hamilton which occasionally alarm me (one time I was walking down King between Wentworth and Wellington and watched a convenience store get robbed, and the owner chased after the robber and tackled him and they started fighting in the street; or one time I was dressed quite modestly and somebody kept following me in their car and finally when they stopped and talked to me I realized they thought I was a prostitute and were trying to get me in the car, though I was more offended than alarmed, and then the time there was a family walking downt he street and the father got mad at the little daughter, screamed at her, and tried to throw her into oncoming traffic and this caused quite a cafuffle), these things would happen in any big-ish city. It is surprisingly in the "safe looking area" that I had the scariest experiences.

I really like the city, and honestly, I find the "sketchy" people more friendly than the students sometimes. Waiting at a bus stop on the "sketchier" east end when I'm done work is a different experience than waiting at Mac. I think the locals are nice, they often talk to you about themselves, and you hear how they lost their job manufacturing cars or something and that's why they look a little shabby .. but they are perfectly nice people just trying to get by. Or some of them came to Hamilton years ago from somewhere far away like North Bay or something because they got a job here, but of course it closed down .. they're all really nice. Some students won't even give you the time of day, they are so freaking snobby. Some of the locals I've talked to at my job in the east end really dislike McMaster students. They feel that students treat people who don't look as affluent as them like they are the scum of the earth and "scary". It's like some students don't realize that the "sketchy" people are just nice people who weren't as lucky as us to have the opportunity to go to university. Poor doesn't equal Gore Park drug dealer or Barton prostitute.

ANYWAY got kind of offtopic and started rambling. My point was, scary shit has happened to me in Westdale, and you just have to be careful wherever you're going.

5footwonder, moops, TTHX like this.
Old 08-11-2009 at 11:18 PM   #113
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Thats an Interesting Input! I can relate coming from a Country full of poverty and going to school with snobby rich kids. Some of the people at McMaster can really surprise you with their snob factor and vainness! But I dunno it depends on your background, your experiences won't be the same for someone like me who looks middle eastern and somewhat stereotypically terroristy with a week long stubble to people who can't tell the difference...I generally don't get the best treatment or looks in the eastern regions where people generally haven't gone to a culturally diverse university like McMaster for example or as you said have come down from a predominantly white place like North Bay and hence have a stereotypical/word of mouth/media feeded view of certain people!

I wouldn't want to be walking past a group of drunk working class white teenagers In the east end at night if I could avoid it!

But on the other hand losing your job and lack of socioeconomic achievements vs expectations generally leads directly to the doorsteps of crime and other anti social behaviour! Some people from lower ends of the socioeconomic ladder never really stood a chance of going to college like us or driving a fancy car and working in a Bay Street office! Its complicated stuff based on ALOT of factors but I know I have stuff to back up this widely accepted theory because I study Sociology as a major! I'll abstain from getting carried away with that though!

I'll give you an example, you mentioned they don't like Mac Kids Generally right? So If I were to walk to a lower economic neighborhoo of Hamilton after dark with my shiny Mac Hoody and I pass by mid twenties White Kids who after completing their minimum wage jobs are hanging outside a bar, do you think they would instantly have a positive outlook on someone who is going to college, looks decently dressed and is possibly going to be earning big money when he graduates and is their age while they are still trying to pay their bills? Petty Crime and Harrasment is a way for them to get back at the system which has put them down...and any outsiders are usually not welcome to steal whatever is left of the cake!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 08-11-2009 at 11:52 PM   #114
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
I'll give you an example, you mentioned they don't like Mac Kids Generally right?
Sorry, I didn't word that well! At least from the people I've talked to, it's not necessarily that they ALL dislike us all or something just for being students. They just don't appreciate our "attitudes" towards people who "look poor", sort of. And so there's a bit of a stereotype or assumption within SOME, that all students are kind of snobby and think we're "above" them. I've met some people who truly HATED students but maybe that is for more than just having the "student attitude" about the rest of Hamilton.

The people who come into the place where I work/volunteer are almost entirely all from the east side of Hamilton, but of course it's not like I've talked to a HUGE sample of people so of course maybe it's not representative of what they all think. I'm Asian and I don't get any adverse treatment, but I can see what you mean, and how your experience could be completely different from mine =(.
Old 08-12-2009 at 12:28 AM   #115
Alvand

Liked: 39 Times

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but the majority of ones are really negative and I am really surprised to see those comments coming from people who are a part of the Hamilton environment.

Societies are made up of environments. A big part of the environment is the people who make it. People act upon their thoughts. Thoughts can be self controlled. Have a positive outlook. I have traveled to a few third-world countries and from those roads I have walked, I have learned that there is beauty in every and any corner of the world. Hamilton is not sketchy, and certainly not nearly as sketchy as it has its reputation for. It is not a dangerous place. Some people may feel intimated by the characters of downtown Hamilton. It is important to understand that these people have lives to, its not like they just walk around up and down trying to scare off every young person they see in their maroon coloured mac sweaters.

People are scared of the environment because they are not confident in themselves. But, there is no reason to be unconfident in yourself. Walk like you have earnt the respect of everyone. Gaze like you have a strong connection with everything you see. Understand your enviornment. Know your position in your environment. Be aware of your environment. Be aware. Be aware. Be aware. Awareness is the key to live and can be aplicable to any situation.

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

daisy likes this.
Old 08-12-2009 at 12:34 AM   #116
5footwonder

Liked: 2 Times

[quote=huzaifa47;78354 ]

"I'll give you an example, you mentioned they don't like Mac Kids Generally right? So If I were to walk to a lower economic neighborhoo of Hamilton after dark with my shiny Mac Hoody and I pass by mid twenties White Kids who after completing their minimum wage jobs ..."

WOW you talk about being racially profiled, yet you are clearly stereotyping these people talk about hypocrisy...I think what ladyh is trying to say, is that one of the reasons that mac kids may not be liked in certain areas is because of the way they treat the locals.

Comments like "Oh don't go to areas where people ask for change" are not helping. Really? Are you seriously going to pretend that we live in a perfect world where poverty doesn't exist, you want to be sheltered from a little reality. I challenge you to look into your own perfect cities these areas exist, and they exist for a reason. How can you expect improvement if those who have been given more opportunities look down on those who may not have the same chances.

A lot of those people downtown are nice, friendly, welcoming people who are just trying to get by. Being poor does NOT make you sketchy.

You have to be the change you want to see in the World, help change the perception by not being the snobby mac kid.
Old 08-12-2009 at 12:42 AM   #117
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5footwonder View Post

"I'll give you an example, you mentioned they don't like Mac Kids Generally right? So If I were to walk to a lower economic neighborhoo of Hamilton after dark with my shiny Mac Hoody and I pass by mid twenties White Kids who after completing their minimum wage jobs ..."

WOW you talk about being racially profiled, yet you are clearly stereotyping these people talk about hypocrisy...I think what ladyh is trying to say, is that one of the reasons that mac kids may not be liked in certain areas is because of the way they treat the locals.
lol why do I even bother with a number of science students? I was giving a hypothetical example based on a theoretical premesis! You won't understand unless you have studied it or something similar to this discipline!

Plus you haven't been in my shoes in the areas of the city I have been in, nor do you have my experiences or perspective being a female so refrain from pre-judging and assuming where I stand on this issue

You do not know my stance on it because I haven't shared that "so and so" is my stance on it.

I was just giving a potential secondary point to what she was trying to say, social experiences are different for everyone! You can't apply the same statement to everyone!

Oh and once again the statement "being poor doesn't make you sketchy" is Majorly refutable, It arguably and supported by alot of evidence does! It is a very sad but vicious cycle....
But I really don't want to get into this with someone who doesn't understand what I'm saying, and hence take this thread off topic!

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 08-12-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-12-2009 at 12:51 AM   #118
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

Huzaifa, I don't think its fair to say that a science student doesn't understand what a hypothetical situation is. I think what 5footwonder was trying to saying is that if you are going to give a hypothetical situation, there is no reason for you to include racial profiling.

Let's not make this into an argument about who's more knowledgeable on the subject rather, lets continue to present our opinions.

Last edited by moops : 08-12-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 08-12-2009 at 01:01 AM   #119
5footwonder

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
lol why do I even bother with a number of science students? I was giving a hypothetical example based on a theoretical premesis! You won't understand unless you have studied it or something similar to this discipline!

Plus you haven't been in my shoes in the areas of the city I have been in, nor do you have my experiences or perspective being a female so refrain from pre-judging and assuming where I stand on this issue

You do not know my stance on it because I haven't shared that "so and so" is my stance on it.

I was just giving a potential secondary point to what she was trying to say, social experiences are different for everyone! You can't apply the same statement to everyone!

Oh and once again the statement "being poor doesn't make you sketchy" is Majorly refutable. But I really don't want to get into this with someone who doesn't understand what I'm saying, and hence take this thread off topic!

Though I can see why you think I'm a first year, I'm actually going into my third year, I just haven't updated my profile since enrolling (not that it should matter how old I am, as life experience is not determined by a few extra years either way).

I'm not sure why you bring up all these extra points, I am sorry that you have been profiled against, I truly am but if you read back what I wrote, the part pertaining to you simply states. If you don't want to be profiled against, stop profiling others (yes even in hypothetical situations). Lead by example and all those other cliches.

My point is that I want mac students to be able to experience Hamilton, flaws and all. I have been to the "sketchy" parts, I support the local businesses downtown and have had nothing but pleasent experiences with people there. It upsets me that people are being close minded and the prejudices about those Hamiltonian's continues.
Old 08-12-2009 at 01:02 AM   #120
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by moops View Post
Huzaifa, I don't think its fair to say that a science student doesn't understand what a hypothetical situation is. I think what 5footwonder was trying to saying is that if you are going to give a hypothetical situation, there is no reason for you to include racial profiling.

Let's not make this into an argument about who's more knowledgeable on the subject. We all have our opinions of Hamilton.
I know, maybe I miswrote that; I meant a hypothetical example in social sciences which works differently then in a more scientific discipline. Exploring issues of racism and stereotyping is regularly a normal topic, though that obviously sounds narrow minded/hypocritical and racist to anyone from the outside! That obviously sucks lol :( Plus Racial Profiling is different from offender profiling, but I reaally don't know how to explain it but my hypothetical situation was based on the common stereotypes of people who commit racism related offences according to evidence, arghh I'm soo at a lost at how to explain why I used that example even though I was well well aware it could be construed by some people as a form of reverse stereotyping! :S Anyways I apologize to any folks who were offended by that hypo example! *sigh*

Back to topic?