MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Decision Pending Syngatezz Academics 8 06-28-2010 02:19 PM
Is it possible to drop McWork job? viky Volunteering Opportunities 15 05-07-2010 04:35 AM
Help with McWork TMBGiants Volunteering Opportunities 6 03-21-2010 03:52 PM
McWork Joel.Jin Volunteering Opportunities 21 03-12-2010 11:58 AM
Admission Decision momi17s General Discussion 5 06-08-2009 09:18 AM

Arguing McWork Decision

Old 03-24-2010 at 06:21 PM   #1
KRan

Liked: 10 Times

Arguing McWork Decision
Has anyone ever tried to overturn a McWork decision? My application was denied (I'm assuming due to my parents' income), but I want to go talk to the Financial Aid office and show them my situation. Any suggestions on how to approach it?
Old 03-24-2010 at 06:37 PM   #2
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

They rarely make exceptions in my experience - I have never seen it happen. They have a specific formula that they use to formulate their decision. I was someone who was turned down by their process just because of what my parents made, regardless of the fact that I was in financial need.

Last edited by McIntyre : 03-24-2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Was incorrect.
Old 03-24-2010 at 06:59 PM   #3
b_sunshine55

Liked: 1 Time

They absolutely do make exceptions - that is provided you have a legitimate ( as defined by them) reason and proper documentation. It is not guaranteed that your appeal will go through but there is a process of making one which you can find out about from financial services. The office does not encourage making an appeal but they do have information of how to go through the process. Ultimately it is up to their discretion if they want to allow it, but I know that they have made exceptions.
Old 03-24-2010 at 07:08 PM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

They do make exceptions, they did for me last summer
Just go in and talk to one of the ladies at the desk. They are very nice and helpful.
Old 03-25-2010 at 01:00 PM   #5
KRan

Liked: 10 Times

Thanks guys!
Old 03-26-2010 at 07:32 AM   #6
thatdudeukno

I hate their stupid logic. Just cause your parents have a certain income doesn't mean they are ****ing throwing money at you.
Old 03-26-2010 at 10:07 AM   #7
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdudeukno View Post
I hate their stupid logic. Just cause your parents have a certain income doesn't mean they are ****ing throwing money at you.
You do realize that if they didn't think that way, then everyone would be applying for a lot more money from osap and even the people that had money would take the osap just because its interest free.
Obviously it doesn't work out for some people as well but its a decent system...
Old 03-26-2010 at 03:04 PM   #8
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdudeukno View Post
Well if your parents make a certain amount, they should be willing to help you, you are their kid and they decided to have you. When you have kids, you are responsible for them, including giving them money.
Old 03-26-2010 at 05:52 PM   #9
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
Well if your parents make a certain amount, they should be willing to help you, you are their kid and they decided to have you. When you have kids, you are responsible for them, including giving them money.
"Should" doesn't mean "always will". That's why the Financial Aid Office gives exceptions sometimes. Unlike OSAP, they recognize that just because someone's parents have money, that doesn't mean they will pay for their tuition.