Combined Honours J. Dorey Academics 5 05-30-2011 09:18 PM
art sci combined honours Mango99 Academics 2 05-22-2011 11:45 PM
Combined Honours Help!!! AztekEscobar Academics 1 03-23-2011 08:02 AM

Arts & Science Combined Honours and Minors

Old 06-27-2013 at 03:51 PM   #1
RachelRL

Liked: 0 Times

Arts & Science Combined Honours and Minors
Hey, I'm going into Arts & Science and intend to apply for the Combined Honours with Physics program at the end of first year. I fully understand the system as far as the Combined Honours go, but would also like to try for a minor in mathematics. Based on the requirements and electives of the Combined Honours program and the requirements of a minor in mathematics, I should be able to do this - except for one small hitch.

I would post the urls of the Combined Honours and Minor requirements, but apparently I haven't posted enough yet. The Combined Honours requirements are available on McMaster's Artsci website under the heading 'Combined Honours'. The Minor in Mathematics requirements are in the online undergrad calendar under the Department of Mathematics and Statistics.

Anyway, the minor in mathematics requires either Math 1A03 and 1AA3, or some replacement of these (including the Integrated Science equivalents). Not mentioned, however, is Arts & Science 1D06 - a calculus course which is an anti-requisite to Math 1A03 and 1AA3.

If Arts & Science 1D06 is a requirement for artsci students, doesn't cover the mathematics minor requirements that Math 1A03 and 1AA3 do, and is an anti-requisite for those two courses, then it is literally impossible to get a minor in mathematics as an artsci student.

That doesn't seem likely to me, but I'm having trouble finding more information.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?
Old 06-27-2013 at 04:23 PM   #2
H2O.

Liked: 0 Times

Hey Rachel! Upper-level artsci here. Artsci 1D06 is equivalent to Math 1A03/1AA3. I'm guessing the Math department just forgot to include it in the list of requirements. If you look at the course calendar, anywhere 1A03/1AA3 is a prerequisite, so is 1D06. I'm also considering a Math minor, and I've never had a problem.

That said, at some point you'll want to point the error out to the math department so that they can fix it (I suppose I will too!). It shouldn't be a big deal, the soon-to-be math undergrad chair (Dr. Lovric) used to teach Artsci 1D06.

1D06 is basically the same course, just more awesome because it's with artscis. Plus there's some bonus lectures that are super interesting.

Hope that helps!

RachelRL says thanks to H2O. for this post.