art sci combined honours Mango99 Academics 2 05-22-2011 11:45 PM
Combined Honours Help!!! AztekEscobar Academics 1 03-23-2011 08:02 AM

combined honours

Old 05-19-2013 at 09:31 PM   #1
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

combined honours
To those of you who are currently doing a combined honours program in 2 completely unrelated subjects, do you find that it's easier to take mostly courses from 1 subject in one year and focus on the second subject in another year or do you mix them?
Old 05-20-2013 at 01:44 PM   #2
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I think all subjects are completely unrelated, but I have a feeling that you mean two subjects that come from different faculties, ie. humanites and health science.

In my case, I'm taking English and history, and while they're both from the same faculty, they really are completely different in the way that you must write essays. I recommend taking the two subjects at the same time instead of opposite years because I personally find that I'll have become used to one writing style and then forget how to write in the other style.

I took a lot of English classes (18 credits) and only 6 credits of history, which I regret because once I started taking more history courses, I was unfamiliar with the style. Now I'm catching up on my history classes, but it means that I'm going to have to take a bunch of history classes without English in order for me to catch up.

I think you might find yourself to be more balanced academically if you take them together. However, it really depends on each person's learning style.

Good luck!

Last edited by lizziepizzie : 05-21-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-21-2013 at 11:17 AM   #3
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

I'm doing english and philosophy, but the english course offerings suck this year, so I was planning on just taking 1 english course (6 units) and the rest philosophy courses+electives.

good or bad idea?
Because I feel like if I take too many english courses next year, the amount of readings are going to destroy me, seeing as how each english course has approximately 15 novels to be read..
but I also don't want to take a bunch of boring english courses just because the alternatives aren't offered this year to fulfill the requirement.

p.s. the few good english courses offered are taught by profs who were rated very poorly on ratemyprofessors
Old 05-21-2013 at 02:03 PM   #4
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

It depends on what you think the "good classes" are. Also, there are some great profs that are teaching and I have taken classes in the past not because I'm interested in the course, but because I favour the prof who is teaching it.

Brophy's teaching some courses and she's a beloved prof by many cultural studies students, although be warned: she is a tough marker (but she'll teach you a lot!)

Also, King is a great prof (from what I've heard). I'm taking a few classes with him next year. I've also heard that Donaldson is good.
Old 05-21-2013 at 02:25 PM   #5
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Yeah I heard Donaldson was great, too. That's why I'm taking American Lit.
Old 05-21-2013 at 02:49 PM   #6
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

I took American Lit last year with Adamson. Apparently, usually Adamson teaches one semester and Donaldson teaches the other, so this may actually be the case next year. Sometimes they don't mention the other prof (if there is one) in the timetable. Donaldson teaches poetry and Adamson teaches novels.