MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Off-campus Aaliyah First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 07-23-2012 10:13 PM
What can I do on campus ? jim1 Gaming 25 06-21-2012 09:54 PM
Looking for a job on/off campus! ishk33 General Discussion 11 07-30-2011 02:05 PM
Fax on Campus Pay919 General Discussion 3 11-02-2009 03:57 PM
DC++ Off Campus Waaaaataccc General Discussion 16 11-28-2008 10:57 AM

ATMs on campus

Old 08-01-2012 at 01:02 PM   #1
mtl_zack

Liked: 0 Times

ATMs on campus
What banks have ATMs on campus? I'm thinking about opening another account so I don't have to pay a fee every time I take out cash. I'm with BMO so it's always inconvenient in Ontario.

Side note: any places that offer cash-back would also work, come to think of it.
Old 08-01-2012 at 01:13 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl_zack View Post
What banks have ATMs on campus? I'm thinking about opening another account so I don't have to pay a fee every time I take out cash. I'm with BMO so it's always inconvenient in Ontario.

Side note: any places that offer cash-back would also work, come to think of it.
Only CIBC and unaffiliated ATMs. So to not be charged for withdrawals you would need to be with CIBC or PC.

Cash-back on banking? Are you talking about interest or am I missing out on something? o.O
Old 08-01-2012 at 01:31 PM   #3
mtl_zack

You can request to charge extra at certain grocery stores, LCBO or shoppers and they'll give you cash equating to the difference between the purchase price and what you are paying. So let's say I buy a bottle of wine for 11.99 at the LCBO, I can ask for 20$ cash back and they'll charge me 31.99 and give me a 20.
Old 08-01-2012 at 01:37 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl_zack View Post
You can request to charge extra at certain grocery stores, LCBO or shoppers and they'll give you cash equating to the difference between the purchase price and what you are paying. So let's say I buy a bottle of wine for 11.99 at the LCBO, I can ask for 20$ cash back and they'll charge me 31.99 and give me a 20.
Oh ok, I'm pretty sure you can do that with any bank as long as the store you want to do cash-backs at actually lets you do a cash-back.
Old 08-01-2012 at 01:42 PM   #5
madhur7

Liked: 9 Times

Titles offers cashback.
Old 08-01-2012 at 02:04 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Titles is your best bet, only you have to buy something to get it. There might even be a minimum purchase value to do this. The alternative is to pay something like a buck service charge for the campus ATMs. I think Mac is with CIBC, so you don't have to pay that fee if you happen to be with them.
Old 08-01-2012 at 02:25 PM   #7
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Oh ok, I'm pretty sure you can do that with any bank as long as the store you want to do cash-backs at actually lets you do a cash-back.
Yes she knows that, along with everyone else the question is what stores around McMaster offer cashback. There isnt a bank to my knowledge that doesnt allow cashback transactions haha.
Around Mac tho, you have some convient stores and gas stations that do cashback. If your a typical freshmen, you will be getting someone older to go to the LCBO for you... A LOT so ask them to get the cashback on your debit for you.
on a side note, there are always lines at the ATMs on campus, so annoying. And we have some of the slowest machines money can buy as well!
Old 08-01-2012 at 02:57 PM   #8
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Just get a CIBC account. It's the most useful for Mac in many ways.
Old 08-01-2012 at 03:08 PM   #9
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Fortinos does cash back.
Old 08-01-2012 at 03:12 PM   #10
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

Yeah, being with BMO in Hamilton is annoying. The closest one is downtown at King/Bay. I'd never seen a bank where they have a 'take a number' style queuing system. That's how rare BMOs are in Hamilton.
Old 08-01-2012 at 03:18 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Yes she knows that, along with everyone else the question is what stores around McMaster offer cashback. There isnt a bank to my knowledge that doesnt allow cashback transactions haha.
Around Mac tho, you have some convient stores and gas stations that do cashback. If your a typical freshmen, you will be getting someone older to go to the LCBO for you... A LOT so ask them to get the cashback on your debit for you.
on a side note, there are always lines at the ATMs on campus, so annoying. And we have some of the slowest machines money can buy as well!
Ahaha, totally read the question too fast. I thought it was a follow-up to the original question and not a separate question XD
Old 08-01-2012 at 03:18 PM   #12
mtl_zack

I think the best bet is just to open up a CIBC account. I use debit lot anyways so it shouldn't be that big of an issue.
Old 08-01-2012 at 03:20 PM   #13
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

I bet there are a lot of people that dont want to open up a new account with a second bank, just so that they can use an ATM on school campus
Old 08-01-2012 at 03:22 PM   #14
mtl_zack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
When I did my undergrad I was that guy who bought booze for everyone in residence xD I earned so many air miles that year
Old 08-01-2012 at 03:29 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

If you don't actually need a branch then PC is probably better than CIBC. With CIBC you have to show then every year that you are still enrolled in school to get their student account which doesn't have a monthly fee.

PC has a no fee bank account. Free pretty much everything (cheques, transactions, etc...). They also have savings accounts with higher interest and lower or no minimum balance.

If you do need a branch though, it's probably more convenient to go with CIBC. Chances are you don't need a branch though. I've been with PC for the last 8 years and I've never had to go to a branch or even call to get stuff. If you need cheques you can order them online, cheques are free too.

I don't really know why a student would need a branch, other than maybe making a draft. But McMaster has interac payment and you can also pay by setting up a bill in online banking.