MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster University App for Smartphones gillybean Academics 5 01-04-2011 09:53 PM
Are you attending McMaster Career Fair 2010? Bobby66 MacInsiders Announcements 7 09-21-2010 11:23 AM
The McMaster University Bursaries jhan523 MacInsiders Announcements 13 01-03-2010 11:11 PM
McMaster Science Society Fall 2009 Updates temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 5 11-24-2009 07:56 PM
McMaster University Sustainability Day Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-27-2008 08:17 AM

Attending mcmaster university this fall

Old 06-24-2011 at 07:02 PM   #1
EngineBoy

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Attending mcmaster university this fall
So I'm attending mcmaster university this fall and was wondering what do i need to do this summer to prepare for it. They sent me a checklist of things to do this summer like academic counseling, course registration, summer orientation, etc

So basically I'm asking what are the important dates this summer that i must know.

P.S Is summer orientation attendance mandatory? and When is the OSAP application deadline ?

I want to attend as little events as possible since i cant drive at the moment. Taking the bus would take awhile.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-24-2011 at 07:05 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineBoy View Post
So I'm attending mcmaster university this fall and was wondering what do i need to do this summer to prepare for it. They sent me a checklist of things to do this summer like academic counseling, course registration, summer orientation, etc

So basically I'm asking what are the important dates this summer that i must know.

P.S Is summer orientation attendance mandatory? and When is the OSAP application deadline ?

I want to attend as little events as possible since i cant drive at the moment. Taking the bus would take awhile.

Thanks in advance!
The essentials are course selection, payment agreement confirmation and actual payment. Course selection you should know, payment agreement confirmation should be done before August and actual payment depends on payment plans.

OSAP deadline for it to appear in your payment agreement is in July, I think like 15 or somewhere around there.
Old 06-24-2011 at 07:09 PM   #3
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

What program are you in? First years register for courses pretty soon I think. I could be wrong but I think Eng I/Nursing I are the 29th of this month? Not sure.

As for OSAP, do it as soon as possible (before the Queen Elizabeth II deadline, which should be on the site -- check your account). If you can get the tax form information from your parents tonight, do it tonight so you don't forget. OSAP is an easy thing to procrastinate.

No orientation is mandatory, and they're really not necessary since welcome week will teach you everything you need to know about where buildings are.

EDIT: Get on SOLAR to register for your courses by the date shown on here:
http://www.ece.mcmaster.ca/docs/SOLA...%20Final. pdf

And you can find the classes you need to register in by looking for your program in here:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...11-12/pg3.html

You don't actually have to make your own timetable since SOLAR will make you one that doesn't conflict... but making a timetable is good practice to get an idea what your workload will be like. You can get class times from here:
https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/

Last edited by Theashe : 06-24-2011 at 07:13 PM.

EngineBoy says thanks to Theashe for this post.
Old 06-24-2011 at 07:10 PM   #4
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
The essentials are course selection, payment agreement confirmation and actual payment. Course selection you should know, payment agreement confirmation should be done before August and actual payment depends on payment plans.

OSAP deadline for it to appear in your payment agreement is in July, I think like 15 or somewhere around there.
That sounds about right.

I didn't go to any of the events lol. Most, if not all information is online. If you're stuck, you can ask here!
Old 06-24-2011 at 07:19 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I think the events is really to learn your way around McMaster (but you can do that when you start school, doesn't take long to figure out where your classes are) or to meet other people in your program. If you can wait a couple months to meet people then it doesn't matter. Labs and tutorials are good places to start conversations.

EngineBoy says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-24-2011 at 09:27 PM   #6
EngineBoy

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 06-24-2011 at 10:23 PM   #7
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

I'd say go to orientation for the handouts/free things they give out I found the calender that they gave out in the first orientation session to be pretty useful. If you decide not to go, though, you won't miss much. Although, last year Nick Bontis, Dr. Joe Kim and Dr. Day came in to talk and that helped to take away a little of my anxiety about entering university.
Old 06-25-2011 at 12:11 AM   #8
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

this is the schedule for SOP 2011
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Schedule SOP 2011.pdf (22.0 KB, 15 views)
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 06-25-2011 at 01:17 PM   #9
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
this is the schedule for SOP 2011
I have a friend starting at Mac in September, but they haven't signed up for any events. Is anyone allowed to sit in on these? Does it cost money? Would I be able to go with them?