MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ridiculous Cogeco Internet Speed lawleypop General Discussion 29 02-23-2011 07:02 PM
Amazing School Internet Speed kevinf Gaming 0 10-09-2009 03:02 PM
Internet speed/bandwidth caps Juicebox General Discussion 11 05-11-2009 09:38 PM
Slow Internet? J-Met General Discussion 6 01-24-2009 10:55 AM
Internet Speed Penguin General Discussion 2 09-13-2008 08:17 AM

Attention Off-Campus Students: Is your internet speed slow?

Old 10-18-2011 at 08:28 PM   #1
Juicebox

Liked: 179 Times

Attention Off-Campus Students: Is your internet speed slow?
Cogeco users, it seems like there are huge slowdowns for users during peak internet usage hours.

During the evening our house is paying for the second highest speed package (30mbps) and receiving speeds below the lowest package (1-2mbps).

I need more information to make a formal complaint.

Here's what I need you to do:

1. Try to plug your computer directly into the modem (the box that cogeco provided)
2. Measure your internet speed here (preferably during evening/night)
3. Report back your speed in this thread and the package you are paying for, here is the list of packages

You could be paying for a $60 package and getting the speeds around or lower than their $28 package offers.

JonSnow, ShadowPlay all say thanks to Juicebox for this post.
Old 10-18-2011 at 09:04 PM   #2
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

I seem to get this problem towards midnight, there also comes a thudding sound from upstairs. Maybe something with the way internet is delivered through the tubes? I don't know.. I'm not good with computers. Thanks for the tip though!

RyanC likes this.
Old 10-18-2011 at 09:17 PM   #3
Juicebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSimon View Post
I seem to get this problem towards midnight, there also comes a thudding sound from upstairs. Maybe something with the way internet is delivered through the tubes? I don't know.. I'm not good with computers. Thanks for the tip though!
Hey, that was almost funny. I kinda almost smirked.
My favourite part was when you used that meme from that clueless senator from all those years back.

5/10.

Freija likes this.
Old 10-18-2011 at 09:25 PM   #4
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

I'm with TekSavvy, it has only been getting slightly slow today.
Old 10-18-2011 at 09:29 PM   #5
Juicebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
I'm with TekSavvy, it has only been getting slightly slow today.
TekSavvy cable or DSL? I think their cable service uses Cogeco lines, but I'm not sure how the networking works with smaller providers.

Need more info from Cogeco users. I did a test of my own, and the speed on thanksgiving weekend was almost close to advertised, the speed when everyone got back was brutally bad. And this is plugged in directly into a reset modem with switches and routers disabled.
Old 10-18-2011 at 09:31 PM   #6
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Express 8. Always constant speed. FYI I'm near Ivor Wynn stadium.

Looking at the DSLReports site your not the only one pissed off

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 10-18-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Juicebox says thanks to AnguishedEnd for this post.
Old 10-18-2011 at 09:31 PM   #7
bambambam

Liked: 0 Times

via
High Speed Internet Ultimate 30

I'm with cogeco and I've never had a problem with slow internet, but I live in the Stoney Creek area, if that makes a difference :/

Also, I did this wirelessly, so it will probably be closer to 30mbps if I used router..

Juicebox says thanks to bambambam for this post.
Old 10-18-2011 at 09:32 PM   #8
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

Same problem. I'm using the cogeco, the same plan too. It's been like this since last month or 2. I even have problem loading youtube videos, while I never have this problem before.

Pls update us here and hope they get it sorted out.

p.s. TekSavvy doesn't offer service to my house :(
Old 10-18-2011 at 09:34 PM   #9
Juicebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambambam View Post

via
High Speed Internet Ultimate 30

I'm with cogeco and I've never had a problem with slow internet, but I live in the Stoney Creek area, if that makes a difference :/

Also, I did this wirelessly, so it will probably be closer to 30mbps if I used router..
Yeah you are far off from the heavier student user area. I was aiming for getting data from people within walking distance or a quick bus ride from campus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefung View Post
Same problem. I'm using the cogeco, the same plan too. It's been like this since last month or 2. I even have problem loading youtube videos, while I never have this problem before.

Pls update us here and hope they get it sorted out.

p.s. TekSavvy doesn't offer service to my house :(
Please run the test and tell me your general location.
Old 10-18-2011 at 09:50 PM   #10
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
Yeah you are far off from the heavier student user area. I was aiming for getting data from people within walking distance or a quick bus ride from campus.

Please run the test and tell me your general location.
Cogeco Ultimate 30 shared by 8 people (theoretically 3.75 mbps)

This is what happened:

I did it earlier it showed a ~1800

Just phone them, but I can't get to the router, store in my roommate's room, so I can't test it without router.

Juicebox says thanks to mikefung for this post.
Old 10-18-2011 at 09:59 PM   #11
Juicebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefung View Post
Cogeco Ultimate 30 shared by 8 people (theoretically 3.75 mbps)

This is what happened:

I did it earlier it showed a ~1800

Just phone them, but I can't get to the router, store in my roommate's room, so I can't test it without router.
I called them a week or two ago. I was connected directly to the modem with all other routers off.
I was getting 3-4mbps using their own speed testing utility. They told me that everything is fine on their end, and that maybe I have an old laptop lol.

I'm hoping to get more people to report their speeds and then we can have more arguing power, at minimum we deserve a sizable discount for getting up to 1/10th of the advertised speed during peak hours.
Old 10-18-2011 at 10:09 PM   #12
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

READ THIS! READ THIS! READ THIS!!!!!

Cool, hopefully that got your attention.

Anyway, I heard from a friend in engineering (who got his info from a tech) that one of Cogeco's nodes broke. These slow speeds should only be affecting those who have them as their ISP.

Basically, the way cable internet works is that if internet traffic in your neighbourhood is high, your speeds will decelerate. This is why companies like Cogeco can only advertise speeds "up to 30 mb/s", as they can't guarantee you the same speeds 24/7.

In short, overuse caused one of these neighbourhood-based nodes to malfunction (Emerson's is supposedly the most notorious). The techies are working on it, but it could take anywhere from weeks to months to completely fix.

Your best bet? Call up Cogeco and haggle. The customer service reps are probably oblivious to the issue, but I managed to get a free month of internet usage and my speeds have been gradually climbing back to normal since last week.

Last edited by Grover : 10-19-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Juicebox, ShadowPlay all say thanks to Grover for this post.

Juicebox likes this.
Old 10-18-2011 at 10:11 PM   #13
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

justinsftw likes this.
Old 10-18-2011 at 10:13 PM   #14
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
Hey, that was almost funny. I kinda almost smirked.
My favourite part was when you used that meme from that clueless senator from all those years back.

5/10.
I don't understand... :S good luck with your internets.
Old 10-18-2011 at 10:21 PM   #15
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

My internet is advertised 16 down, 1 up. Though my landlord has a Cogeco commercial account. I'm in the middle of a student area, along Leland.

It'll hit the full 16.7 down/1 up consistently during the day. Also no guarantee that my housemates aren't using the connection. With Speedtest.net, minutes apart from the above first test: