MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Banks Near/On Campus? Desda First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-08-2010 10:42 PM
banks Chevalier Financial Aid 2 07-06-2010 08:12 PM
mac sci test banks yum24 Academics 2 04-10-2010 12:08 PM
On Campus Banks? christinaxo7 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 09-02-2009 08:45 PM
banks at mac mizosoup General Discussion 9 07-14-2008 07:53 PM

Banks and Atm's

Old 08-09-2007 at 05:45 PM   #1
zuberi

Liked: 0 Times

Banks and Atm's
well this is another important question i'd like to ask.

if somone could tell me a good bank to open an account with when i get to canada..

hopefully one that has alot of atms on campus etc. let me know ure thoughts...

cheers,
Zuberi
Old 08-09-2007 at 06:40 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

the ONLY ATM on campus affilitated with a bank is CIBC. From what I recall, there are three ATM's on campus; two of which are "no name" (not the brand...but...somethi ng random), and one is CIBC.

there is a CIBC branch in westdale as well.
Old 08-09-2007 at 10:19 PM   #3
dbt10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
the ONLY ATM on campus affilitated with a bank is CIBC. From what I recall, there are three ATM's on campus; two of which are "no name" (not the brand...but...somethi ng random), and one is CIBC.

there is a CIBC branch in westdale as well.
Or go get a President's Choice card which doesn't have fees for using ATMs. Unless of course, you have a friend at TD who can waive all the stupid ATM fees for you
Old 08-09-2007 at 10:23 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I think the PC card is only for CIBC banks and not ALL banks, although I'm not sure...

ohhh connections...
Old 08-09-2007 at 11:20 PM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

TD Canada Trust is the best, period. lol. People at the other banks can argue against it.. but TD is the best. Longest hours out of all the banks, fast and nice service. I'm sad that Mac didn't partner with them instead.

CIBC is the only one with official ATM's on campus... so if you want to save yourself withdrawal fees then you gotta be with CIBC. As mentioned, there is a CIBC branch across from campus.

All MSU Clubs (including us) use CIBC as our bank to hold our club funds in non-profit organization accounts.

Using both TD and CIBC, I dislike CIBC mainly because of their hours... they are open at ridiculous times... 9:30 AM - 04:00 PM?? What kind of time is that... I'm at work from 8:30 - 4pm each day, so they make it quite difficult to go to the bank after work. Assuming most of the people at CIBC are business people who work, wouldn't it make sense to be open after work hours of 9-5pm? CIBC is only open after 4pm on Thursday and Friday.

TD on the other hand is open 8am - 8pm Mon-Fri.
Old 08-09-2007 at 11:28 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

my aunt and uncle worked there high up in some TO branches...and they also thought the hours were crap.

good for working, terrible for service.
Old 08-10-2007 at 11:47 AM   #7
dbt10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Using both TD and CIBC, I dislike CIBC mainly because of their hours... they are open at ridiculous times... 9:30 AM - 04:00 PM?? What kind of time is that... I'm at work from 8:30 - 4pm each day, so they make it quite difficult to go to the bank after work.
I figure you mean, to deposit cheques. By why wouldn't someone just use ATMs to deposit cheques. Banks can even take the hold off after you deposit cheques (usually its like one business day to avoid people scamming) assuming you've been a good customer.

But then again I have TD and I've been with them since i was like 10...
Old 08-10-2007 at 11:20 PM   #8
michaelm

TD's good, I've been with them for a while. Like mentioned above, the hours are great if you want to deal with a teller, or a PBO, but I found for most of my stuff, i just use the machines.

Scotia's also good. I'm working there right now, so I might be a little bit biased. The student account advantage account is a $1.25 monthly fee, and thats it. No additional fees for anything. nothing for any transaction (ABM or teller) and free online banking. The other thing I like with scotia is the Money Master savings account. High interest, I think i'm getting 2.4% calculated daily. Easy to transfer between money master and student advantage too.

I'm with both right now, TD and Scotia, but will be dumping TD to go only with Scotia soon.

I know I sound like an ad, but thats what working there does to ya. Hope that helps
Old 08-11-2007 at 10:28 AM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

That's good info to pass on, michaelm. However, I think the only Scotiabank I've seen is in downtown Hamilton somewhere, which is a bit out of the way.
Old 08-11-2007 at 02:53 PM   #10
Fozefy

Anyone know if therehere any bank of montreal atms/branches near mac? thanks!
Old 08-11-2007 at 05:07 PM   #11
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

@dbt10:

Yes, I meant for depositing cheques, as clubs are not allowed to put our cheques in the ATM, we need to speak with a teller directly. Also, when withdrawing we need to do it in person with a teller since more than one exec needs to be there for the withdrawal.

I also prefer talking to a teller than using an ATM. The ATM's on campus, such as Campus Cash machines, tend to break down randomly.
Old 08-12-2007 at 07:51 AM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Especially the one near La Piazza. Don't use it. It's mean and steals money.