MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-30-2010 at 06:11 PM   #1
jin09

Liked: 1 Time

Basketball Tryouts
Can someone who has done it before give a heads up about what you do at basketball tryouts? It says there is a fitness test but I am wondering more specifically what it's like and how much experience playing the sport is required.
Thx!
Old 08-30-2010 at 07:09 PM   #2
dabulls

Liked: 14 Times

This isn't high school. University basketball is the highest level of competition in Canada.

If you are having to ask these questions, you should save your time and the coaches time by wearing maroon and going to the games as a spectator ( you get in free this year for Bball and Vball if you wear maroon).

You might want to consider intramaurals if you don't know anything about the sports conditioning.

http://www.athrec.mcmaster.c a/intramurals/index.htm
Old 08-30-2010 at 07:25 PM   #3
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

that was kinda harsh
Old 08-30-2010 at 07:41 PM   #4
belindz!

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin09 View Post
Can someone who has done it before give a heads up about what you do at basketball tryouts? It says there is a fitness test but I am wondering more specifically what it's like and how much experience playing the sport is required.
Thx!
if you've played at the club level or higher you should be fine if you also played high school and you did well you should be fine just know that you have to give it all u got if you really wanna make the team cuz its an elite team your trying out for and good luck
Old 08-30-2010 at 07:57 PM   #5
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabulls View Post
This isn't high school. University basketball is the highest level of competition in Canada.

If you are having to ask these questions, you should save your time and the coaches time by wearing maroon and going to the games as a spectator ( you get in free this year for Bball and Vball if you wear maroon).

You might want to consider intramaurals if you don't know anything about the sports conditioning.

http://www.athrec.mcmaster.c a/intramurals/index.htm
Extremely harsh, rude and unnecessary.

belindz! likes this.
Old 08-30-2010 at 08:35 PM   #6
dabulls

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttk View Post
Extremely harsh, rude and unnecessary.

Say what you will. But it is what it is. I consider myself to be a basketball junkie. I follow all levels of basketball extremely closely. I officiate basketball at a high level as well. I might be patting myself on the back here, but I think I am very knowledgeable when it comes to the sport.

Here we have a person who is inquiring as to the fitness level required to play on an elite level team. They clearly haven't played the sport at a high enough level to understand the workings of CIS basketball. Those who played at a high level know what it takes. Those who played basketball at a high enough level to make a university team have already been contacted by the coaching staff. Mac unveiled their recruiting class a few weeks ago.

You can say I'm mean and harsh and whatever you want but imagine what you'd feel like if you showed up to a practice only to find out the team had been picked in July- or if they did allow a walk on to be humiliated.
Old 08-30-2010 at 08:43 PM   #7
belindz!

he was just asking what the fitness test would be like and players may have been recruited but that doesn't mean that the undiscovered ones still cant try out
Old 08-30-2010 at 08:44 PM   #8
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Say what you will. But it is what it is. I consider myself to be a basketball junkie. I follow all levels of basketball extremely closely. I officiate basketball at a high level as well. I might be patting myself on the back here, but I think I am very knowledgeable when it comes to the sport.

Here we have a person who is inquiring as to the fitness level required to play on an elite level team. They clearly haven't played the sport at a high enough level to understand the workings of CIS basketball. Those who played at a high level know what it takes. Those who played basketball at a high enough level to make a university team have already been contacted by the coaching staff. Mac unveiled their recruiting class a few weeks ago.

You can say I'm mean and harsh and whatever you want but imagine what you'd feel like if you showed up to a practice only to find out the team had been picked in July- or if they did allow a walk on to be humiliated.
Medicine tastes bitter!
Old 08-30-2010 at 08:45 PM   #9
watkinson

Liked: 1 Time

you can try out in septemeber i did for the women's team when i was in first year but the time commitment is HUGE and pratices interferred with my classes so i wasnt missing class so i just did go to the rest of the tryouts

in the end basketball is basketball except now the players are quicker, smarter and stronger so you gotta bring your A game all the time

just give it a try; you will never know unless you try!
Old 08-30-2010 at 08:48 PM   #10
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by belindz! View Post
he was just asking what the fitness test would be like and players may have been recruited but that doesn't mean that the undiscovered ones still cant try out
I don't think there are really any try-outs. They contact you depending on your high school and other accomplishments.
still he could've been a little nicer lol.
Old 08-30-2010 at 08:51 PM   #11
belindz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
I don't think there are really any try-outs. They contact you depending on your high school and other accomplishments.
still he could've been a little nicer lol.
lol yes i agree!
Old 08-31-2010 at 08:49 PM   #12
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

a little harsh, (I lol'd tho, i know somethings wrong with me)

but don't ever let someone tell you you cant do something (no matter what it is), if you really want to do something you'll find a way.

that being said I gotta agree with mr. coach/ref on this one, your way outta ur league buddy, thats just my opinion though.
Old 08-31-2010 at 11:05 PM   #13
valconrj

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:

Sometimes its better if you just don't say anything at all. Stick to reffing the games Dick Bavetta.
Old 08-31-2010 at 11:53 PM   #14
Chris98

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Hmmmm, for some reason you talk as if the highest level in Canada actually means something.
Old 09-01-2010 at 12:30 AM   #15
slx4

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris98 View Post
Hmmmm, for some reason you talk as if the highest level in Canada actually means something.
It means something if you care at all for your home country's team. We may not be a top 10 basketball team in the world but our lack of support for our Canadian team is a definite reason why we aren't making as big strides as we can towards the next level. Show some Canadian love