MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electrical Engineering VS Computer Engineering Maintain Academics 19 04-07-2011 01:24 PM
Engineering & Engineering Coop Rubicon Academics 3 04-06-2011 10:06 AM
Hands Across the City Benefit Jam marissa88 MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-14-2011 10:23 AM
i have question about registring courses harman911 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-14-2010 09:47 AM
Benefit concert this Wednesday! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-27-2008 06:55 PM

Benefit of Registring With Engineering Co-op?

Old 06-23-2011 at 08:24 AM   #1
MistaKiula

Liked: 1 Time

Benefit of Registring With Engineering Co-op?
Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if I got an internship/co-op without the use of OSCAR, is it worth it to register the experience (and paying the $300 or $125 fee) with the Engineering co-op here at McMaster?
Old 06-23-2011 at 08:40 AM   #2
toosh

Liked: 15 Times

It depends. Eng with Co-op only appears on your transcript upon graduation if you've had at least 12months Co-op experience. So if you feel you'll be able to get that by the time you'll graduate then it'll probably be worth it, otherwise I wouldn't bother especially if I got the job by myself without OSCAR
Old 06-23-2011 at 08:43 AM   #3
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

So you already landed the job?

Then yes, it would show up with your degree stating that you completed a co-op program (if you do 12 months and the department approves the job). Although I don't see why a resume wouldn't serve the same purpose of stating your co-op experience...

If you haven't landed the job, then registering/paying the fees will give you a world of job applying support, etc. but getting the job can be challenging if you don't have great credentials.
Old 06-23-2011 at 08:47 AM   #4
MistaKiula

Yeah, I can get 12 months as I am taking an iternship, but if it's just a measly status change on my transcript... I'd like to save the $1,200.00. Has anyone had the benefit of having the 'co-op' name in their transcript?

Edit:

@sjager, yeah I've landed the job already. That's what I thought too, my resume would do a much better job at explaining my co-op experience than a status on my transcript...

Last edited by MistaKiula : 06-23-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-23-2011 at 09:03 AM   #5
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjager View Post
So you already landed the job?

Then yes, it would show up with your degree stating that you completed a co-op program (if you do 12 months and the department approves the job). Although I don't see why a resume wouldn't serve the same purpose of stating your co-op experience...

If you haven't landed the job, then registering/paying the fees will give you a world of job applying support, etc. but getting the job can be challenging if you don't have great credentials.
Thats what I thought too. I am on a 4 month work contract, but I decided not to use it as a co-op position, I can just put the experience on my resume and save myself $1200 at the end of it.
Old 06-23-2011 at 09:52 AM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

1. Where are you getting the 1200$ number from?
2. I'm pretty sure you don't pay fees if you found the job yourself (without their help, or paying their fee)
3. You get money from the coop office for building connections with companies that are not already associated with the coop office already.
4. Coop vs non-coop on your transcript is a pretty big deal. It might even be a deal-breaker for some employers upon a first-glance at your CV.
Old 06-23-2011 at 09:57 AM   #7
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Its a lot harder to find co-op placements without oscar because most companies will post their positions on oscar. With decent marks, good resume, pretty much guarantee a position if you don't mess up the interview.

Old 06-23-2011 at 09:57 AM   #8
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

I pay only $100 a year for co-op fees in order to use OSCAR, so at the end, I lose $300 if I cannot find a co-op job (fourth year is not included). I have no idea where the $1,200 came from.
Old 06-23-2011 at 09:59 AM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
I pay only $100 a year for co-op fees in order to use OSCAR, so at the end, I lose $300 if I cannot find a co-op job (fourth year is not included). I have no idea where the $1,200 came from.
I'm thining they might be referring to a charge on your paycheck that is sent to the coop office as a sort of tax for helping you find a job, which, again, I don't think applies if you found the job yourself.

edit: actually, i can see that fee still applying, cause, essentially you're partially paying for that transcript designation, etc.. somebody who has a coop job would have to clarify this
Old 06-23-2011 at 10:00 AM   #10
MistaKiula

1. For 16 month internships and assuming the co-op office have already been associated with the company you apply for, it's $300 for every 4 months = $1,200.00. For myself, it'll be 12 months, so 3*$300.00 = $900.00. If the company you work for have not been assosciated with the co-op office, it will be $125/4 month (or a term).

EDIT: this is a fee you have to pay the office if you want that term to count towards the co-op status in your transcript. Here is the form that you have to fill out: http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/eccs/docu...-Sept_2011.pdf

2. Yes, I know. But I do have the choice of registering with the co-op office to make it count.

3. Really? I didn't know this. How much do they pay you?

4. Ah, interesting. Have you had this experience or know somebody that have experienced this while looking for a job?

Last edited by MistaKiula : 06-23-2011 at 10:02 AM.

RyanC likes this.
Old 06-23-2011 at 10:05 AM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaKiula View Post
3. Really? I didn't know this. How much do they pay you?

4. Ah, interesting. Have you had this experience or know somebody that have experienced this while looking for a job?
Its not a big deal, I think a couple hundred bucks?

Its a matter of personal opinion... HR people and anyone looking over your resume are going off the most basic criteria to eliminate as many people as possible to maximize their time. Somebody with an official coop designation, compared to a 'work experience' with some random small company (which may not even be effectively highlighted, or written about good on your resume) will automatically screen you out.
Old 06-23-2011 at 10:09 AM   #12
MistaKiula

Hmm.. Okay, that's +1 benefit

I made this thread to discuss about it, not to shoot down the co-op office or anything. I've had a great experience with Lynn Stewart as she has helped me decide on my co-op offers. She gave me some very professional advice.

If anyone else have more, post them up!
Old 06-23-2011 at 05:47 PM   #13
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Its not a big deal, I think a couple hundred bucks?

Its a matter of personal opinion... HR people and anyone looking over your resume are going off the most basic criteria to eliminate as many people as possible to maximize their time. Somebody with an official coop designation, compared to a 'work experience' with some random small company (which may not even be effectively highlighted, or written about good on your resume) will automatically screen you out.
Just wanna say that just because someone didn't get a job through the co-op office doesn't necessarily mean that they'll end up working for a random small company. I'm working for US Steel this summer (not in Hamilton) and working as a researcher in my field, so ya not a random small company.

justinsftw likes this.
Old 06-23-2011 at 06:45 PM   #14
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingénieur.xo View Post
Just wanna say that just because someone didn't get a job through the co-op office doesn't necessarily mean that they'll end up working for a random small company. I'm working for US Steel this summer (not in Hamilton) and working as a researcher in my field, so ya not a random small company.
They need an overhaul on their website :p

I partially agree. Here is my opinion...

If you do not have "hook ups" in the engineering field from family/friends, I strongly recommend joining the coop program. Mind you, until the end of 3rd year, its tough getting a coop at mac, so save your $200 for 1st and 2nd year and only pay for third year to get access to OSCAR. OSCAR has postings from many companies all over ontario, so it increases your chances immensely. If a company posts on oscar, they are seriously looking to see what a mac student has to offer, and thus applying through oscar increases your chances at recognition.

Companies like AMD to D+H all post on OSCAR, so the variety is great
Old 06-24-2011 at 06:49 AM   #15
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingénieur.xo View Post
I never said that, I was comparing the two extremes, do try to read properly next time.

Gratz on the job.