MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good road biking trails? mlui Athletics & Recreation 7 03-26-2012 09:07 PM
Biking in winter? Lessica General Discussion 17 01-23-2011 12:31 AM
What dont you like about biking camais General Discussion 23 02-08-2010 03:47 PM
Biking At MAC Infinity General Discussion 5 06-09-2009 03:21 PM
Summer Biking: The wonders of MacCycle Chad MSU & On-Campus Services 0 05-18-2008 05:01 PM

BIKING dos and donts

Old 09-09-2012 at 11:42 AM   #1
Desiguy

Liked: 0 Times

BIKING dos and donts
I'm trying to bike to McMaster from Macnab highschool. But that means crossing the expressway/highway to save significant amount of time.

Is crossing highway illegal? Have you bikers ever done it?
Old 09-09-2012 at 11:52 AM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Are you talking about crossing the chedoke? I'd just bike to scenic drive, carry my bike up/down the stairs, then ride along longwood. I've never really been up around that area with my bike... so I'm not certain about other crossings... (I'm sure there are safe ones)

Don't try to cross the 403 proper... (quadruple railings) that's borderline retarded.

There's a pedestrian overpass if you put your streetview man (google maps) just north of the linc/chedoke 'interchange', but I'm not sure how to access that.

edit: and yes, I've done it.. not sure if its expressly forbidden but 'you cannot ride on the highway' I've heard from a number of places, people and sites, here are a few things you can be ticketed for... click

Last edited by RyanC : 09-09-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-09-2012 at 12:05 PM   #3
Marooner

Liked: 59 Times

If you have to avoid a rock/pot hole/sewer swerve out of traffic and on to the shoulder rather than into traffic. Don't look down at your gears for an extended period of time. Wear a helmet. Cars outweigh us, don't get into an argument with a driver. Fluff it off and keep spinning, but there are always exceptions. If a police officer ever stops you on your bike for whatever reason, deny that you were aware those were the rules, be cooperative and you will be on your way. You do not want to get into an argument with a power tripping officer who will slap you with an $80.00 biking ticket. Lock your bike up at all possible times. If you are popping into Tim Hortons for a coffee just flip your bike (with your seat/handle bars down) this is a good deterrent for thieves.

Last edited by Marooner : 09-09-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 09-09-2012 at 01:03 PM   #4
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
here are a few things you can be ticketed for... click
k some of those things are ridiculous....

no horn? wtf everyone whos got a bike should get a t?itcket and 90$ at that too -_-7
reflectors AND reflective tape on both wheeles? really?
... most second hand bikes only have one or the other (or not even)

lol it would suck to get caught for some of those things -_-
Old 09-09-2012 at 02:41 PM   #5
Rob Mac

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marooner View Post
If you are popping into Tim Hortons for a coffee just flip your bike (with your seat/handle bars down) this is a good deterrent for thieves.
How does just turning the bike over deter theives?
Old 09-09-2012 at 03:46 PM   #6
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Gives you that extra second to tackle em.

Source: experience