MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Materials 1M03 Exam format? killerbeatz Academics 6 04-15-2011 11:01 AM
No exam course amigojoe Academics 9 01-04-2011 05:11 PM
"Exam Guardians" - Free 1st year exam help concept Mowicz Academics 39 12-20-2010 11:30 PM
Deferred Exam PaulFrank Academics 2 08-26-2010 06:53 PM
Exam Help JokrJon Academics 3 02-27-2009 09:26 PM

Bio 1M03 EXAM

Old 04-19-2011 at 09:18 PM   #31
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

lol i dono about u guys but i liked the last lecture, it was hilarious yet pretty interesting in a way..... though some of those pauses for dramatic effects were a bit long ill admit, finally itll be over in 14ish hours
Old 04-19-2011 at 09:20 PM   #32
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quinn sounds so awesome. We didn't even have a guest lecturer, and Kolasa mostly went on about how we should have 2.4 children per female (fecundity (?) I think the term was) to preserve the world's population at the current rate of growth...

EDIT: Hurlburt brought in real flint stone from xx million years ago, though, and I actually held it in my hand and it was an amazing experience because I'm nerdy like that.
Old 04-19-2011 at 09:24 PM   #33
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
Quinn sounds so awesome. We didn't even have a guest lecturer, and Kolasa mostly went on about how we should have 2.4 children per female (fecundity (?) I think the term was) to preserve the world's population at the current rate of growth...

EDIT: Hurlburt brought in real flint stone from xx million years ago, though, and I actually held it in my hand and it was an amazing experience because I'm nerdy like that.
Psh... Doc Roc (Dr. Stone, lolololol) showed us a video of him gathering fossils with a crew. Well, he didn't do much in the video himself, but he did pick up a huge insect. He also showed a picture of him, which I think was taken at a Con, in which he was standing beside a cosplayer dressed as a Gundam.
Old 04-19-2011 at 09:24 PM   #34
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

Quote:
Kolasa mostly went on about how we should have 2.4 children per female (fecundity (?) I think the term was) to preserve the world's population at the current rate of growth...
umm shouldn't we be trying to reduce growth lol looking at those exponential groth curves we saw in class id think the ideal would be -2.4 children per female, otherwise the whole worlds gonna be screwed over cus of overpopulation
Old 04-19-2011 at 09:27 PM   #35
justinsftw
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krup92 View Post
umm shouldn't we be trying to reduce growth lol looking at those exponential groth curves we saw in class id think the ideal would be -2.4 children per female, otherwise the whole worlds gonna be screwed over cus of overpopulation
That's probably right. Many scientists agree that we're past carrying capacity.

Can we enforce that? Probably not.
Old 04-19-2011 at 11:17 PM   #36
Faer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
Psh... Doc Roc (Dr. Stone, lolololol) showed us a video of him gathering fossils with a crew. Well, he didn't do much in the video himself, but he did pick up a huge insect. He also showed a picture of him, which I think was taken at a Con, in which he was standing beside a cosplayer dressed as a Gundam.

I held an /ancient rock/.

Yeah, I'm jealous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krup92 View Post

Actually, if we began having 2.1 children, the population would gradually decrease. So two babies and an arm or a leg, your choice.
Old 04-19-2011 at 11:48 PM   #37
justinsftw
Elite Member

To be fair though, at least you didn't have some tricky MC questions that both of our profs like. Dr. Quinn even had a really vague iClicker once that he said there was more than one answer to.

I'm pretty sure our multiple-choice question marks depend more on how much we understand the test than how much we understand the content...
------------
That probably means the world average in human offspring production is over the one you are suggesting. D:
Old 04-20-2011 at 12:44 AM   #38
Faer
Elite Member

Hmm, I don't remember having i-clickers for marks at all last term! Having more than one answer? I hate it when professors do that. And I agree, the Bio exams for M03 did come across as gobbledegook sometimes. Oh, and Dr. Kolasa's gosh-darned hints! >.<

-----

Oooh, yep, it is. 2.4, like I said before, the average needed to sustain it at the same rate. And we've hit 7 billion worldwide now, I believe. It's surprising to think that when my grandparents were young the world population was only 5 billion (I think. I read somewhere it was 5 bil. around 50/60 years ago.)

("world average in human offspring production"...pfft, I love the wording to that! LOL.)

EDIT: Oooh, good luck to everyone for the exam! Don't get bored circling in the answers!
Old 04-20-2011 at 12:15 PM   #39
smarties13

Liked: 16 Times

so whatd you guys think?!!? ....lots of same letter responses for stone's section; got me worried!
Old 04-20-2011 at 12:21 PM   #40
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

I hated this course with a passion and that exam was just the cherry on top. Albeit I could've studied more but overall hated that exam and every little piece of information that was presented in this course.
Old 04-20-2011 at 12:23 PM   #41
Faer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarties13 View Post
so whatd you guys think?!!? ....lots of same letter responses for stone's section; got me worried!
Hahaha, I hate it when that happens! XD In one high school exam, we had 40 MCQs, and I got 10 As, 10 Bs, 10 Cs and 10 Ds...all evenly distributed, it was hilarious.

Or not. Since it was an exam. >.>
Old 04-20-2011 at 12:24 PM   #42
jamiebenyovi

Liked: 7 Times

that exam was terrible. the material wasn't even hard but the way the questions were presented was terrible. Stones questions were terrible, had so many of the same letters in a row. Had a bunch of questions where all of the above was choice A when i hadn't even had a chance to read the other options which i've never seen before and made things really confusing. Found that quinns section had a lot of random questions
Old 04-20-2011 at 12:28 PM   #43
justinsftw
Elite Member

Quote:
Hmm, I don't remember having i-clickers for marks at all last term!
They weren't for marks. We just did them, and they reflect what kind of questions they ask on the midterms.
-----------------------------------------------------
Stone's questions were harder, imo.
Old 04-20-2011 at 12:33 PM   #44
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

Quinn's section was fine with the odd random question, like the vervet monkey and wildlife corridor, but Stone's was brutal. Too many "All of the above" "None of the above", "A or B, but C isn't correct". Like wtf is that.
Old 04-20-2011 at 12:37 PM   #45
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

How would you describe BIOLOGY 1M03?

a) Worst course of the year
b) **** anything related to this course
c) Why were we forced to take this
d) A B and C are all correct
e) B and C are correct however A is not because there are probably some other courses that suck just as hard.

Remind anyone of something?

smarties13 says thanks to RememberTwce for this post.