MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why don't Physics 1B03/Bio 1B03 have any tutorials listed on Master Timetable :| ? m0nica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-12-2010 10:00 AM
Prereq question >_< lawleypop Academics 7 06-15-2010 08:27 PM
Med Physics 2A03 "Science 2A03" or Math 2A03 ebfrancis Academics 2 09-01-2009 08:17 AM

Bio 2A03- why is physics 1b03 a prereq???

Old 06-14-2011 at 07:17 AM   #1
psps

Liked: 1 Time

Bio 2A03- why is physics 1b03 a prereq???
So i want to take bio 2A03, but upon adding it on solar it said I dont have the prereqs, confused, I looked them up and it said that starting this year physics 1B03 is a prereq. What on earth does physics have to do whith animal physiology.....NOTHIN G! And I really do dont want to take physics 1B03 because I have plenty of other hard courses that I want to focus on rather han completing physics which has no value for me. This is madness! Mac is just trying to make us suffer

funkymonkey likes this.
Old 06-14-2011 at 07:24 AM   #2
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

yea i know a bunch of my friends are in the same boat... i dont get why they are applying this to students enter second year now...they had no prior knowledge of this requirement so couldnt have known they needed pysics 2b03 for bio 2a03 when they were applying for courses last year...if anything this should only apply this requirement for those entering second year next year and onwards. IMO
Old 06-14-2011 at 08:25 AM   #3
rkb12

Liked: 33 Times

I don't understand, because it says from now on you need credit or registration in physics 1B03 to register in bio 2A03.. and I am registered in physics second term but it still won't let me take bio 2A03. I keep getting the message that the academic requisites have failed. -_- But I'm clearly registered in physics second term. ugh.
Old 06-14-2011 at 08:29 AM   #4
Sintos

Liked: 85 Times

Believe it or not there's physics in your body! Basically you learn three equations and they are actually really simple, but because people have trouble with how liquids filter into the kidneys they think that you NEED physics to understand it. Overall its stupid. Just take kin 1Y03 and 1YY3 to get into upper level courses.... IF you can get into that mugsi loving course.
Old 06-14-2011 at 08:41 AM   #5
Purple2309

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sintos View Post
Believe it or not there's physics in your body! Basically you learn three equations and they are actually really simple, but because people have trouble with how liquids filter into the kidneys they think that you NEED physics to understand it. Overall its stupid. Just take kin 1Y03 and 1YY3 to get into upper level courses.... IF you can get into that mugsi loving course.

Ha...but Kin 1y03 and 1yy3 are also full. This is horrible.
Old 06-14-2011 at 08:42 AM   #6
Purple2309

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb12 View Post
I don't understand, because it says from now on you need credit or registration in physics 1B03 to register in bio 2A03.. and I am registered in physics second term but it still won't let me take bio 2A03. I keep getting the message that the academic requisites have failed. -_- But I'm clearly registered in physics second term. ugh.
Have you tried calling the associate dean of sciene office?
Old 06-14-2011 at 08:54 AM   #7
TheCrucible

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
yea i know a bunch of my friends are in the same boat... i dont get why they are applying this to students enter second year now...they had no prior knowledge of this requirement so couldnt have known they needed pysics 2b03 for bio 2a03 when they were applying for courses last year...if anything this should only apply this requirement for those entering second year next year and onwards. IMO
Well, I'm looking at the undergraduate calendar for 2010-2011 (last year), and it says this for Bio 2A03:

(Beginning 2011-2012): BIOLOGY 1A03, 1M03 (or 1AA3) and credit or registration in PHYSICS 1B03; or 1SCI 1A24

It IS pretty stupid, but they "technically" did warn you at least a year in advance that this new prereq would come into effect 2011-2012.
Old 06-14-2011 at 08:56 AM   #8
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

there is ALOT of physics in the body, like a lot. Bu, animal phys is a really hard course, so I think they put physics as a pre req so that they weed out some people. I think this is a good thing, I HATEEEED this course with a passion.
Old 06-14-2011 at 08:58 AM   #9
Chevalier
Elite Member

huh that is true, though i dont know many first years that look into their future upper year courses to see whats required of them, usually a department has a set course list with wwhich u can do most things in. luckily i decided to took 1b03 and didnt switch out like some ppl.
Old 06-14-2011 at 09:16 AM   #10
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
there is ALOT of physics in the body, like a lot. Bu, animal phys is a really hard course, so I think they put physics as a pre req so that they weed out some people. I think this is a good thing, I HATEEEED this course with a passion.
Is it really that hard? *is suddenly regretting her decision to take it*
Old 06-14-2011 at 09:20 AM   #11
Chevalier
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
you mean physics 1b03? yes and no, its not that hard or it shouldn't be, but sometimes the concepts are a bit hard to grasp, but once you get them its pretty decent. also if you do a lot of practice questions and familiarize yourself with diff situations then you should be good. its a hard course yes, but if you work at it its not too bad....too my surprise i did better than expected this year in it (though i would not take it again, so much stress )

also dont pick hughes as your prof, go with reinsteider or whoever that is. the reason i say this is because reinsteider actually does solid lessons which your able to grasp concepts better form. hughes on the other hand expects you to read the text and take notes on your own, shell do pratice questions and go over some stuff in class thats it. ( though this also depends on your learning style which prof you prefer, ideally be enrooled in reinsteiders class and o to his lectures, but for extra emphasis and practice go to hughes)

Purple2309 says thanks to Chevalier for this post.
Old 06-14-2011 at 09:38 AM   #12
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
Oh my God, I never knew you were female

But if you're talking about bio 2a03 (and not physics 1b03), one of my friends took it recently. The labs depend on your TA, but generally they are a crapload of work and they are marked quite hard. The tests are quite application based, which seems difficult at first. This is why the course seems hard for people. My friend got in without actually taking physics 1b03, lol, and he didn't really need it. He got like high 90s on the tests and stuff and easily got a 12 without a large amount of effort, so if you're good at the prof's style of testing you should be okay if you get a decent TA or you work really hard on the labs.

Faer likes this.
Old 06-14-2011 at 09:41 AM   #13
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

was anybody able to get into this course with registering physics this year?
Im registered for physics 1B03 2nd term but it wont let me take 2A03
it says i failed at prerequisite
Old 06-14-2011 at 10:50 AM   #14
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

that's silly - there is SOME Physics involved in the course - i sucked at physics but did decently in this course. lol that's why i disliked biology at mac - so much red tape in the department. you could try emailing the biology adviser/prof ... maybe they might change their minds/grant permission if you write a compelling email.
Old 06-14-2011 at 10:53 AM   #15
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
Personally I didn't think this course was hard at all.. Every test was multiple choice, and all I ever did was review the lecture notes and I got 90%+ on every test including the exam. I didn't even open the textbook once, aside from the one formal lab that required information from it. The only bad part of the class was the labs, they were a little disorganized..

I did take Physics 1B03 in first year, you definitely don't need physics knowledge to understand the course material for 2A03. There are no hard equations, only ones that require simple rearranging to solve for 1 variable. There's the pH equation for buffers, but that's Chem 1AA3 / high-school chemistry.

My advice: Email the professor and request a waiver. Most professors are more than willing to accommodate you if you show interest in taking the class. This semester I got a waiver for Astronomy 3X03, and techically I needed 2 more math classes than I have plus a second year physics course (I did do Phys 1BA3 though).