MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer School Decision Help itsjaykim First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 01-07-2011 10:58 AM
HELP!! i need to make a decision on my elective tiffanytian First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 01-07-2011 08:35 AM
Decision Pending Syngatezz Academics 8 06-28-2010 02:19 PM
Arguing McWork Decision KRan Volunteering Opportunities 8 03-26-2010 05:52 PM
Admission Decision momi17s General Discussion 5 06-08-2009 09:18 AM

Biochem co-op decision

Old 05-21-2011 at 12:08 PM   #1
genny762

Liked: 0 Times

Biochem co-op decision
So I just got accepted into the biochem co-op and am now having a hard time deciding whether to take it or not. Is the extra year worth it? Are the job placements good? And does the experience count towards medical school applications?

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2011 at 12:34 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Coop>non-coop

(in every category)
Old 05-21-2011 at 12:43 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Coop>non-coop

(in every category)
Not if you don't get a placement, for those people, they pay extra for nothing lol

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 05-21-2011 at 01:08 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Not if you don't get a placement, for those people, they pay extra for nothing lol
I don't think everybody pays extra; I know engineeing does for sure.. but you are motivated to keep practicing cover letter/cv/resume skills

Not to mention interview skills for each failure!
Old 05-21-2011 at 02:58 PM   #5
genny762

Liked: 0 Times

Is there any student that can share their specific experiences from a co-op program?
Old 05-21-2011 at 03:51 PM   #6
RankNullity

Liked: 27 Times

How likely is it that you don't get a placement? I thought you always did?
Old 05-21-2011 at 03:56 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RankNullity View Post
How likely is it that you don't get a placement? I thought you always did?
Not necessarily, you have to find placements (sometimes the department has a co-op division which can help you find placements) and then you have to undergo an interview process and get hired by the company. It's a paid position, so they aren't going to hire just anybody.
Old 05-21-2011 at 08:53 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by genny762 View Post
So I just got accepted into the biochem co-op and am now having a hard time deciding whether to take it or not. Is the extra year worth it? Are the job placements good? And does the experience count towards medical school applications?

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!
As Ryan mentioned, I really don't see how no co-op would be beneficial over Co-op. I mean if I were an employer and with all things equal, someone with Co-op experience would be a more favourable applicant than someone with no relevant experience in the field at all, even if it involves an extra year. As for the extra year, you get paid, so it's not exactly a waste of time! As for job placements, I would imagine (from what I know and heard) that it can be in a wide range of areas, for e.g. in industry, or in a lab setting, so it really depends on what you're interested in. Also, you can change up your co-op placements and you don't really have to be confined to the same placement for all of your co-op terms if you don't end up liking it. Regarding medical schools, there is once again no concrete answer. Medical school doesn't specifically ask you for co-op or a job, or any experience related to medicine. Sure it would look good on your resume whether you're applying to grad school, jobs, or medicine, but there are no guarantees that doing this co-op means anything once it comes to your medical school application.

genny762 says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.

genny762 likes this.
Old 05-31-2011 at 12:32 AM   #9
biochemer

Liked: 11 Times

If you're planning to take co-op, be prepared to be flexible. Not everyone gets jobs in Ontario. Some of my friends in co-op (Biochem and Chembio) are working in Quebec and Saskatchewan.
As well, hopefully you looked at when the work terms are. You start off doing first term in third year, then 8 months of work, then a full fourth year (Sept. to April), then 8 months of work and finally second term in fifth year.
Hope that helps
Old 05-31-2011 at 12:39 AM   #10
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Is the co-op student in charge of paying for things such as living expenses while in a co-op placement, or does the placement cover it?

EDIT: I should've read what Jeremy said. I'm dumb, and answered my own question. >.>;