MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
2nd Year in 3rd Year Courses. Bad idea? abbyabs Academics 16 07-09-2010 10:50 PM
First year taking 2nd year courses Z3phyr First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 01-05-2010 12:51 PM
Confused about Biology courses for first year killza First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-21-2009 03:24 PM

Biology-Third Year Courses

Old 06-17-2008 at 07:34 PM   #16
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

The tutorial is not manditory for eukaryotic genetics, there were also two of them, the TA's went of the journal article presented in lecture which was helpful at times, but they arent necessary and dont always run the full length.
Old 06-24-2008 at 10:24 AM   #17
pioneer

Liked: 1 Time

I took eukaryotic genetics and it was actually easier than my other bio courses. yes, they teach you about yeast as a model to understand the genetics, but it isn`t too bad. I found that there wasn`t actually too much material to learn, and once you understood the techniques you could pretty much answer any question.

The only thing is that its a 3 hour lecture in the evening...so it puts you to sleep...but if you want todo well you have to pay attention.

But, its a course one can do well in with reasonable effort - definately not bad as what everyone had told me.
Old 06-24-2008 at 10:28 AM   #18
pioneer

Liked: 1 Time

Oh and for 3i03, the course is mostly based on journal articles. They are pretty straight forward and the TAs explain the stuff in tutorial, so i would definately go.

As for 3v03, that course was hard...its got to be one of the most challenging Biology course I`ve taken - and I`ve taken a lot because I`m in the genetics specialization.

3v03 is a useful course but lots of hard work - 5 lab reports of about 15+ pages, 5 quizzes, 6 hours of lab per week and 1 hour of class and a final exam. During second semester I felt I was only studying 3V03 and never any other courses...I didn`t even have time to study for 3i03...but did well because its a very concept based course and not much memorization

Cikka likes this.
Old 06-04-2009 at 12:00 PM   #19
enigmatique

Liked: 0 Times

Has anyone taken 3UU3 or 3U03 by any chance? Haven't heard as much about the third year Animal Phys courses after the profs changed, so I was curious.
Old 06-14-2009 at 07:16 PM   #20
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatique View Post
Has anyone taken 3UU3 or 3U03 by any chance? Haven't heard as much about the third year Animal Phys courses after the profs changed, so I was curious.
3U03 is a lot of work and a lot of material. It's a lot harder than 2A03... there are labs every week with formal labs every other week. That said, I found the course incredibly interesting - as long as you keep up with the material and work hard you'll do fine. McClelland isn't teaching this year (research leave); however, I've heard that Wood is quite challenging.

3UU3 - not as much work since there are no labs. I had Butler, not Rollo (who normally teaches the course). The course was incredibly interesting, but then again I am a physiology student =p. From what I've heard about Rollo, make sure you know the articles thoroughly.

enigmatique says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 06-14-2009 at 09:44 PM   #21
enigmatique

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks for your feedback! That was helpful!
Old 06-20-2009 at 07:15 PM   #22
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
McClelland isn't teaching this year (research leave); however, I've heard that Wood is quite challenging.
I was wondering if anyone knew how long his research leave was as I wanted to take 3U03 with him and was planning on take it next year. However, if he's not going to be back then, I'd just take it this year since there really wouldn't be any difference to me and the stuff I learned from 2A03 would be a little more fresh in my mind...
Old 06-20-2009 at 09:13 PM   #23
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Usually research leaves are one year, but you never know. To be completely honest, whenever someone tells me that a prof is challenging/hard -- usually it's an overestimate. I haven't taken a course with Wood, so I can't say.

If you're in Biopsych, you're going to be doing your thesis (12-15 hours of lab work a week). 3U03 has 3 hour labs everyweek and that kidney lab took 4 hours, I would definitely recommend taking it 3rd year to lessen your load if possible (unless the extra lab work won't bother you).

Duarch says thanks to Lois for this post.