MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biomedical Engineering Amrit Academics 15 12-09-2011 06:36 PM
Biomedical Engineering naval23 Academics 9 08-10-2011 04:12 PM
Watch TV Free - With the new Rogers On Demand Online Chad MacInsiders Announcements 18 10-09-2010 01:23 PM
Electrical and Biomedical Engineering w/ Management jp1390 Academics 8 06-05-2010 10:30 PM
Electrical & Biomedical Engineering nytrogyn First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 03-21-2009 10:49 AM

Biomedical Engineering Job Demand

Old 03-19-2012 at 09:30 PM   #1
candyman

Liked: 0 Times

Biomedical Engineering Job Demand
So... After talking with some of the people at the engineering fair I decided that I wanted to go into Biomedical Engineering for my second year. One of the factors that influenced my decision was hearing that this field was rapidly growing in job demand and that finding a job would not be as difficult as some other jobs.

However, until recently I had been doing some research of my own and I am hearing from numerous people that finding a job in this field is actually really difficult, in that there are very few jobs available. If that is the case then I may have to rethink my career path. My question is does anyone (preferably people in biomedical engineering), have any idea of exactly what the job demand is like for this field? There's just so many mixed messages.

PS. I did not decide to go into this field just because of the job demand it was more influenced by interest, but in the end I am here for a career.
Old 03-19-2012 at 09:45 PM   #2
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Its pretty hard to predict the job market in 4-5 years, but I would have to say that most things eng related (this is just from experience with people I know, and no acual sources) are a pretty solid choice in terms of careers.

candyman says thanks to Philipp31 for this post.
Old 03-19-2012 at 09:50 PM   #3
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Wrong. You're hear to learn the theory and concepts that apply to a field that you are most interested in, and to learn more about yourself in that time. By the end of first year, when I decided on Civil, I would've said: "I'm going to go into a structural engineering firm, and that's where I'll end up working forever". Boy has that changed. I'm open to a lot of unique possibilities now, mostly related to Civil Engineering.

I hear this "job opportunities" word thrown around too much this year from first year engineers. Get realistic: If you want a job in the engineering field of interest which you just focussed on for 4 or 5 years, then you'll go out and find yourself one of those jobs, or else you'll MAKE something for yourself... That is: If you actually take something out of your time here.

Edit: Phillip is totally right. They don't just make up too many useless engineering streams... If science is being applied to engineer stuff in your time as an undergraduate engineering student, then science is being applied in the real world in the same/similar ways.

candyman says thanks to mike_302 for this post.

aznsensation likes this.
Old 03-19-2012 at 10:32 PM   #4
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

you could always switch out of biomed if you change your mind. There is only one course difference in second year. Biomed really starts in third year.

As for jobs. Most employers seem to care more about job experiences or personal projects more than actual courses. They know an Elec+Biomed student shared most of the same courses as elec, even in the biomed only courses (in 4th year) which have a lot of elec stuff in them (like filter design).

candyman says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.

pavlov likes this.
Old 03-19-2012 at 10:35 PM   #5
Elliott779

Liked: 35 Times

There are job opportunities in the Biomedical Engineering field, especially if you are willing to travel. It is already an established industry in the United States and Europe, and is just starting to take off here.

I would definitely enter Biomedical Engineering, even if there is a limited number of jobs, simply because there are many pathways still open to you... with an undergrad in Biomedical Engineering, you can work in any electrical engineering position, apply to medical school, etc.

Overall, it is definitely not a waste of time that will leave you career-less. If anything, it better prepares you for a job, regardless of field, due to the rigour and demanding nature of the program.

If you are interested in seeing some jobs that are open to Biomedical Engineers, feel free to come to the BEAMS Industry Night, being held This Wednesday at 7pm in Celebration Hall (basement of KTH). You are welcome to come regardless of program / year. There will be speakers from various biomedical companies / industries from the local area talking about careers in the field

Last edited by Elliott779 : 03-19-2012 at 10:40 PM.

candyman says thanks to Elliott779 for this post.

candyman likes this.
Old 03-20-2012 at 12:37 AM   #6
jewfro9000

Liked: Liked 19 Times

i feel like people have the wrong idea of the "biomedical" engineering.. most people who want to get into it dont realize its a specialization of electrical engineering.. circuits, so many circuits!
Old 03-20-2012 at 01:01 AM   #7
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

The nice thing about engineering is that once you get the B. Eng degree you can end up in virtually any field even though your specialization may be in Electrical and Biomedical. As mentioned above it will include a lot of circuits, programming related to the medical field.

You can always decide to pursue a research career or change your department.

candyman says thanks to jajas for this post.
Old 03-20-2012 at 02:52 AM   #8
muons

Liked: 84 Times

Realistically, I think a lot of people graduating from Biomed Eng will end up working as ECEs. You would really need a higher level degree to work as a biomed eng designing biomedical equipment.

candyman says thanks to muons for this post.
Old 03-20-2012 at 06:35 AM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewfro9000 View Post
i feel like people have the wrong idea of the "biomedical" engineering.. most people who want to get into it dont realize its a specialization of electrical engineering.. circuits, so many circuits!
too

many

circuits!

(and math, signals, and more circuits!)

MacPack likes this.
Old 03-20-2012 at 10:46 AM   #10
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

As someone mentioned before a lot of the chance of you getting hired is based on experience, less so on the classes you take. a lot can also happen in 4 years in the job market, so just because the demand is high now does not mean it will be once you are done.

choose the engineering you like, and the rest will work out

candyman says thanks to Snowman for this post.
Old 03-21-2012 at 06:22 PM   #11
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

You don't really know what you want to do, but majority of ECE will likely go into some sort of programming job, from what I've seen.

candyman says thanks to Bobby66 for this post.