MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blackberry Trouble J. Dorey Computers & Tech 32 05-20-2011 10:37 AM
Where can I repair a Blackberry? PTGregD General Discussion 7 03-30-2011 04:51 PM
Blackberry Pearls mike_302 Computers & Tech 5 10-25-2010 12:43 AM
Blackberry help..? Kathy2 Computers & Tech 16 03-22-2010 10:54 AM

Blackberry 101 ?

Old 07-18-2011 at 05:41 AM   #1
Nuelonas

Liked: 5 Times

Blackberry 101 ?
Hello I'm new to Canada so I don't know how the service providers work. I want to buy the Blackberry Bold 9780. Only thing is that i don't know whether to get with contract or without :S And which provider should i use. I have heard of Rogers Bell Koodo Wind and Telus. But I dont know which to chose
I'm leaning to contract because of the 50 $ phone. 500 $ is alot to pay for a phone lol
Old 07-18-2011 at 05:46 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuelonas View Post
Hello I'm new to Canada so I don't know how the service providers work. I want to buy the Blackberry Bold 9780. Only thing is that i don't know whether to get with contract or without :S And which provider should i use. I have heard of Rogers Bell Koodo Wind and Telus. But I dont know which to chose
I'm leaning to contract because of the 50 $ phone. 500 $ is alot to pay for a phone lol
Buying the phone is minimal compared to the plan. Wind by far has the best/cheapest plans but you can find good plans with other providers during this time of year as well if you are looking for a contract (Wind doesn't offer contracts as far as I know). Just go to each website and look for "special offers" or "hot deals" or wordings like that.
Old 07-18-2011 at 05:50 AM   #3
Nuelonas

Is chosing the contract for the cheap phone worth it ? To be honest i dunno if i might change phones. I like the blackberry so far
Old 07-18-2011 at 06:04 AM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuelonas View Post
Is chosing the contract for the cheap phone worth it ? To be honest i dunno if i might change phones. I like the blackberry so far
A 3 year contract is a loooooooooooooooooooo ng time, especially in Canada's recent telecommunication market where changes to laws and competition has been made. It's up to you in the end, I haven't done any research on telecommunications for a couple years now so I don't know what's happening or being planned. As with every decision you make, do your research as you can save a lot of money in the long run.
Old 07-18-2011 at 06:06 AM   #5
Nuelonas

so I guess i'll go with Wind. Decent plans there
Old 07-18-2011 at 06:12 AM   #6
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

I'd suggest Virgin Mobile's Blackberry plans, I got my Blackberry Torch from them recently, it's a great phone, I paid $100 for it and I pay $65 a month for my plan. Mine's a bit expensive 'cause I have international texting in it too. My plan's great though cos it has:

-Unlimited Local zone calling (can call from anywhere in Canada to someone in the same zone as you)
-Unlimited local and international texting
-Unlimited data
-Call display
-Voicemail

It's one of the best plans I found 'cause I research other companies and most of them with all these features were way more than $65 especially for a blackberry.

Virgin is overall a good company with not that many complaints.

Definitely DON'T go for wind 'cause it's got really bad service.

Rogers is alright but heard they rip people off sometimes.

Fido is good too but the plan like I have stated above would be a bit more expensive with them.

And don't worry about the contract thing, yeah it seems long but you have an awesome phone, 2 or 3 years with it is no biggie...BlackBerry is awesome so far with my experience with my Torch and I definitely am in no hurry or in the need to change it even within a year!

Good luck though! Just choose whatever suits you but please...don't go for wind! :p
Old 07-18-2011 at 06:12 AM   #7
IqzFendi

*researched other companies
Old 07-18-2011 at 06:14 AM   #8
SHWEDDIES

Liked: 3 Times

I bought same blackberry with wind. Great reception in Hamilton ,somewhat spotty in parts of Mississauga. They have a student plan or at least they did last year
Old 07-18-2011 at 06:15 AM   #9
Nuelonas

hahaha oh boy. I think i'll be doing even a more thorough reasearch
Old 07-18-2011 at 06:16 AM   #10
Nuelonas

SHWEDDIES How much did you pay for the phone ? Full price ? cuz blackberrys are kinda expensive with no contract :S
Old 07-18-2011 at 06:18 AM   #11
IqzFendi

yeah, definitely research and keep checking deals! Sometimes you can get really good, cheap deals that aren't always there! Fido had a good one recently but don't know if they still have it. It was unlimited calling and texting and data in $35 or something!
Old 07-18-2011 at 06:30 AM   #12
SHWEDDIES

Liked: 3 Times

Got it a year or so ago I think it was 400 plus. Maybe $450???can't exactly remember. I find WIND easy to deal with on phone if question. I got reception in areas others didn't last year at Mac.I lived in Bates last year and no problem
I had a friend with poor reception at his house in Mississauga and he had no problems returning the phone and a full refund in his first week. I like the no contract idea. Wind also has an online section of their website to post questions to other WIND users which can be helpful
Old 07-18-2011 at 09:03 AM   #13
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Definitely look into Koodo as well.
Old 07-18-2011 at 09:11 AM   #14
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Try out TELUS if you plan to go on a contract since their phone selection is the best IMO.

if you want monthly, id seriously consider WIND
Old 07-18-2011 at 10:18 AM   #15
Sevan

Liked: 28 Times

the only thing with koodo though is they don't offer the blackberry bold 9780, only the curve, so if you're specifically looking for the bold, koodo doesn't offer it. I have the bold 9780 with Rogers right now, and upon activation I got waived the activation fee and received a $50 gift card to future shop. So look for offers like that too, not just at the wireless provider, but Best Buy and Future Shop. I switched to Rogers from Koodo and I'm pretty satisfied with the service. I also find that I get service in more places now, as opposed to when I was with Koodo.