Course trouble... Phillykae Academics 1 06-15-2010 12:09 PM
ELM Trouble All Over Again mike_302 Academics 14 01-08-2010 01:52 PM

Blackberry Trouble

Old 05-17-2011 at 08:11 PM   #1
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Blackberry Trouble
So I have the Blackberry Curve 8520, and it's been acting really strange lately. Every so often, the light on the top right will stay red, and within second the screen will go black and the entire phone will shut off. But, after a few seconds, the screen will show an hour-glass symbol, will flash white, attempt to turn back on (with the light becoming red again), and then will just go back to the black screen. To get it to turn back on, I have to unplug the battery, and try to restart it that way roughly 4 or 5 times, and the only way it will stay on for more than 15 minutes is if I automatically plug it in. Anyone have any suggestions/ideas about what could be wrong?
Old 05-17-2011 at 08:13 PM   #2
Ayt52

Liked: 6 Times

Switch to Iphone or Android my friend

Allan likes this.
Old 05-17-2011 at 08:16 PM   #3
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayt52 View Post
Switch to Iphone or Android my friend
At this point I am definitely leaning towards Android. This has happened three times in the past 7 days!
Old 05-17-2011 at 08:17 PM   #4
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times

This happened to me. Did you drop it recently? Mine was acting like that couple of days and then it just stopped and went back to normal. Try waiting? If problem still persists, take it for repair.
Old 05-17-2011 at 08:19 PM   #5
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Ugh, tell me about it. Today my Blackberry decided that the alarm should go off at random times. Then it resent all of the texts I've sent over the past week, and then went into emergency-only mode for an hour. I've had mine for a year and a half, so I guess that's "old" as far as phones go.

Time for a new one, I think.
Old 05-17-2011 at 08:21 PM   #6
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
Ugh, tell me about it. Today my Blackberry decided that the alarm should go off at random times. Then it resent all of the texts I've sent over the past week, and then went into emergency-only mode for an hour. I've had mine for a year and a half, so I guess that's "old" as far as phones go.

Time for a new one, I think.
Yeah! Mine is just over a year old and it's been acting up like this, and then on top of that about every second or third day my BBM decides not to send or receive messages for about 3 or 4 hours. And I'm not even going to delve into the major battery life problem...
Old 05-17-2011 at 08:28 PM   #7
santiagoeb

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
At this point I am definitely leaning towards Android. This has happened three times in the past 7 days!
Just switched to android from a troubled 8520 two weeks ago, best choice i could have made!!!
Old 05-17-2011 at 08:30 PM   #8
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Yeah! Mine is just over a year old and it's been acting up like this, and then on top of that about every second or third day my BBM decides not to send or receive messages for about 3 or 4 hours. And I'm not even going to delve into the major battery life problem...
That's the one thing I can say I haven't had a problem with. I use my phone non-stop (I'm that person, unfortunately) and the battery lasts for a really long time. I think I charge it once every two weeks. When I text too quickly (I'm serious) it freezes, gives me an error message, and then I have to watch that stupid "loading" clock for 5 minutes until I can continue.
Old 05-17-2011 at 08:36 PM   #9
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Quote:
That's the one thing I can say I haven't had a problem with. I use my phone non-stop (I'm that person, unfortunately) and the battery lasts for a really long time. I think I charge it once every two weeks. When I text too quickly (I'm serious) it freezes, gives me an error message, and then I have to watch that stupid "loading" clock for 5 minutes until I can continue.
Yeah, I am the opposite. I have to charge mine at least twice every day! It's ridiculous. Hopefully it isn't too much to upgrade with Telus..
Old 05-17-2011 at 08:49 PM   #10
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Yeah, I am the opposite. I have to charge mine at least twice every day! It's ridiculous. Hopefully it isn't too much to upgrade with Telus..
Twice everyday is outrageous, wow.
Old 05-17-2011 at 08:56 PM   #11
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Wow, that's nuts. My housemates drops his two-year-old Blackberry all the time, throws it sometimes (terrible at handling his alcohol), steps on it, etc. and it works flawlessly. I do none of that and mine craps out on me all the time. Pissin' me off.
Old 05-17-2011 at 09:08 PM   #12
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Try doing a firmware update or reloading the firmware through your computer. According to someone I know at RIM, that's typically how you fix this problem - it sounds like your OS got corrupted somehow.

J. Dorey says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 05-18-2011 at 01:04 AM   #13
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Try doing a firmware update or reloading the firmware through your computer. According to someone I know at RIM, that's typically how you fix this problem - it sounds like your OS got corrupted somehow.

Example of proper troubleshooting when dealing with technology.

A part of me just dies when I see people giving up on their equipment and switching to an apple product when all they had to do was do some troubleshooting.

pavlov likes this.
Old 05-18-2011 at 01:08 AM   #14
...?!
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 76 Times

Quote:
Wow, that's nuts. My housemates drops his two-year-old Blackberry all the time, throws it sometimes (terrible at handling his alcohol), steps on it, etc. and it works flawlessly. I do none of that and mine craps out on me all the time. Pissin' me off.
Obviously you have to start doing this.

alh24, Krusenik like this.
Old 05-18-2011 at 01:12 AM   #15
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

Huh, you guys are scaring me with my blackberry. Granted I don't treat it like an angel (been known to drop it once or twice or throw it on my bed) but it's been pretty good to me and I haven't had a problem so far. Oh god, I hope I didn't just jinx it.