Blackberry keeh Computers & Tech 9 09-21-2011 05:57 PM
Blackberry Pearls mike_302 Computers & Tech 5 10-25-2010 12:43 AM
Blackberry help..? Kathy2 Computers & Tech 16 03-22-2010 10:54 AM

Blackberry Connexion

Old 08-15-2012 at 11:27 AM   #1
ellerytc

Liked: 25 Times

Blackberry Connexion
Any of you blackberry users out there get a BBM request from Blackberry Connexion? 28EDDF7A
I got one maybe less than an hour ago :/

Kinda curious if this is legit under RIM and they're doing some whole new promo thing...

or if someone is playing along with the Bold A Day contests they had a while back.
Old 08-15-2012 at 11:32 AM   #2
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Should just trade it in for a new phone that isnt a blackberry... like the rest of the world has been doing
Old 08-15-2012 at 11:34 AM   #3
ellerytc

Liked: 25 Times

trust me if i had the money i would
Old 08-15-2012 at 11:34 AM   #4
Chris23
Account Locked

Gotta love those three year contracts

Old 08-15-2012 at 05:01 PM   #5
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Should just trade it in for a new phone that isnt a blackberry... like the rest of the world has been doing
So much hate, for such a good product, largely because the media tells people to hate it...

It's awful what the world has come to.

RDslva likes this.
Old 08-15-2012 at 05:10 PM   #6
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
So much hate, for such a good product, largely because the media tells people to hate it...

It's awful what the world has come to.
Old 08-15-2012 at 05:14 PM   #7
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Sound like an idiot? Idiots can't cite data and relevant information to what they're saying... I can give you 500+ articles that talk about positives and successes of the Blackberry that end in the statement, "RIM in a death spiral."

Blaming the media = Justified.

Lol.
Old 08-16-2012 at 07:29 AM   #8
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Sound like an idiot? Idiots can't cite data and relevant information to what they're saying... I can give you 500+ articles that talk about positives and successes of the Blackberry that end in the statement, "RIM in a death spiral."

Blaming the media = Justified.

Lol.
No, their stocks plummeting, their poor choices at setting base prices for their products (I.e the original price of the first playbook at roughly $600), their smartphone's constant technical problems. Blackberry is at the bottom of the list for smartphones behind Android and Apple. When next year's early shipment of the new line of blackberrys fail, they will shut down. More relevant information for you here, Blackberry in the past 2 months have laid off roughly 1/3 of their workforce just trying to get back to making a profit. Yeah this really sounds like the company is on the uprise...

So i guess... Comparing you to the Sarah Palin meme = Justified.

Lol.
Old 08-16-2012 at 09:45 AM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
No, their stocks plummeting, their poor choices at setting base prices for their products (I.e the original price of the first playbook at roughly $600), their smartphone's constant technical problems. Blackberry is at the bottom of the list for smartphones behind Android and Apple. When next year's early shipment of the new line of blackberrys fail, they will shut down. More relevant information for you here, Blackberry in the past 2 months have laid off roughly 1/3 of their workforce just trying to get back to making a profit. Yeah this really sounds like the company is on the uprise...

So i guess... Comparing you to the Sarah Palin meme = Justified.

Lol.
While I agree that the technology of RIM is becoming increasingly outdated and irrelevant, there is a lot to be said about the needless negativity that's been constantly brought out by various media outlets. Its pretty popular for people to say: "Blah blah they suck, the company is dying etc", but when you actually ask people to justify it they don't really have anything intelligent to say.

Afzal says thanks to RyanC for this post.

RDslva likes this.
Old 08-16-2012 at 09:55 AM   #10
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
While I agree that the technology of RIM is becoming increasingly outdated and irrelevant, there is a lot to be said about the needless negativity that's been constantly brought out by various media outlets. Its pretty popular for people to say: "Blah blah they suck, the company is dying etc", but when you actually ask people to justify it they don't really have anything intelligent to say.
Well that is why I just posted a few examples of areas that have caused this downfall for RIM. If they are smart, they will focus solely on the business sector. Corporate businessmen make up a good percentage of blackberry's consumer pool. Instead of trying to reach out to new audiences, do what you can to secure the support you already have and target their specific needs in upcoming products.
Old 08-21-2012 at 10:54 PM   #11
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Well that is why I just posted a few examples of areas that have caused this downfall for RIM. If they are smart, they will focus solely on the business sector. Corporate businessmen make up a good percentage of blackberry's consumer pool. Instead of trying to reach out to new audiences, do what you can to secure the support you already have and target their specific needs in upcoming products.
Kindly keep quiet if you know nothing about running a company. RIM has been rewriting a whole new OS from the ground up. It takes a lot of time and companies suffer some losses in the process but that doesn't mean the company is dying.

Also, FYI, RIM still posted a profit at this year's annual financial report. Granted it was a negative growth in profit, still profit nonetheless.
Old 08-21-2012 at 11:26 PM   #12
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Kindly keep quiet if you know nothing about running a company. RIM has been rewriting a whole new OS from the ground up. It takes a lot of time and companies suffer some losses in the process but that doesn't mean the company is dying.

Also, FYI, RIM still posted a profit at this year's annual financial report. Granted it was a negative growth in profit, still profit nonetheless.
This made me laugh.

Although I still hold Blackberry in a positive light and think their products are decent (besides price, but thats cause I am cheap with phones), in the world of consumer products, the media is the difference between flourishing and dying. I think if they didn't overshoot followed by undershooting of the pricing of the Playbook, it would have actually been more profitable and I have not heard of anyone that owns one complaining.

As for their phones, now that I have been introduced to the competitively priced and all touchscreen Android phones, I can't go back. Mine was $60 without a contract and I was trying to look at something that cheap or in the lower price range, and if I want some kind of smartphone I have to go with droids
Old 08-22-2012 at 12:16 AM   #13
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

@ellery, you can get a good android phone without much money. I just got an xperia pro (android) for only 30 bucks, 2 year contract voice only no data.

Lesson to all. Don't sign 3 years. If you really want that phone , get an unlocked one
Old 08-22-2012 at 01:18 AM   #14
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
This made me laugh.

Although I still hold Blackberry in a positive light and think their products are decent (besides price, but thats cause I am cheap with phones), in the world of consumer products, the media is the difference between flourishing and dying. I think if they didn't overshoot followed by undershooting of the pricing of the Playbook, it would have actually been more profitable and I have not heard of anyone that owns one complaining.

As for their phones, now that I have been introduced to the competitively priced and all touchscreen Android phones, I can't go back. Mine was $60 without a contract and I was trying to look at something that cheap or in the lower price range, and if I want some kind of smartphone I have to go with droids
I agree with everything you've said. I just don't agree with Chris's opinion that RIM should focus solely on the business sector.
Old 08-22-2012 at 03:55 AM   #15
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I know people working at RIM and a coworker of mine recently got a hold of a prototype BBX device - EVERYONE says the OS sucks.

The problem is RIM isn't large enough to be doing what they're trying to do - maintain their own OS. They simply don't have the man power to match the ever increasing functionality that Apple and Android are providing with their OSes. They always miss their market window by about a year and then fail to pay off their non-recurring engineering costs.

If anything, I think RIM should just drop the idea of maintaining their own OS completely and go with Android (like basically everyone else who isn't Apple). Then they can focus on Blackberry specific applications and hardware, in which they should have an easier time matching everyone else.

Even if the Blackberry OS were better than its competitors at the core (which it isn't) lack of developer support would still run them into the ground.

qwerty91, Snowman like this.