Blackberry keeh Computers & Tech 9 09-21-2011 05:57 PM
Blackberry Pearls mike_302 Computers & Tech 5 10-25-2010 12:43 AM
Blackberry help..? Kathy2 Computers & Tech 16 03-22-2010 10:54 AM

Blackberry Connexion

Old 08-22-2012 at 06:35 AM   #16
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I've heard otherwise from college-op friends who not only "get their hands on bb10", but have been in the bb10 software testing department all summer. While they can't give details due to NDA's, they can say they like it or don't like it, and it's not like they're invested in RIM: they're on a 4-month coop. So the credibility of that statement is gone... Not "everyone" says it sucks.

The OS on the Playbook IS bb10, by and large. Lol, speaking of getting informed. And the most recent playbook os update has been generally, all-around amazing! While it still lacks a few features, those will surely be there for the phone release in January. So there goes the whole opinion on BB10 os sucking...
Old 08-22-2012 at 10:25 AM   #17
thuks0251

Liked: 10 Times

Ahh... the blackberry vs. everything debate...
Old 08-22-2012 at 10:30 AM   #18
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuks0251 View Post
Ahh... the blackberry vs. everything debate...
I actually don't think we have had one of these yet... so it is a nice change
Old 08-22-2012 at 10:30 AM   #19
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
I've heard otherwise from college-op friends who not only "get their hands on bb10", but have been in the bb10 software testing department all summer. While they can't give details due to NDA's, they can say they like it or don't like it, and it's not like they're invested in RIM: they're on a 4-month coop. So the credibility of that statement is gone... Not "everyone" says it sucks.
I know people that have been working on it for 16-months. I think that's more than enough time to evaluate whether something is good or not.

Quote:
The OS on the Playbook IS bb10, by and large. Lol, speaking of getting informed. And the most recent playbook os update has been generally, all-around amazing!
Compared to Android and iOS, or compared to the old shitty OS RIM had? You're gonna have to present more evidence than "it's amazing" as a reason for why it's at all worth while.

Quote:
While it still lacks a few features, those will surely be there for the phone release in January. So there goes the whole opinion on BB10 os sucking...
Not at all. That was the worst argument ever.
Old 08-22-2012 at 12:52 PM   #20
mike_302
Elite Member

I'm citing general concensus. The main reason that anyone buys a playbook anymore is because of these general opinions and reviews which do agree that the playbook OS is all around successful. No, not in arts, or even customization necessarily, but the OS2.0 is at the top of the game for multi-tasking, and getting work done, hands down. Many an Android and iOS supporter agree with this statement. Where everyone also stands in agreement is lacking in native Android app support, lacking in native apps, and lacking in a few other items that RIM is well aware that they'll need to fix in order to survive.

That's my argument.
Old 08-22-2012 at 01:04 PM   #21
thuks0251

The thing is, the playbook is an excellent device (I have one), but there are a few problems I have with it:

1. weight! It's (imo) not very easy to carry around. I know this because if I carry it in my purse it basically brings up the weight factor!

2. heating, I have had a few problems with it heating up, but maybe that's just my playbook.

3. battery life! this is the biggest problem! It dies on you so quick!

this is just what I think, so.... yeah.
Old 08-22-2012 at 04:40 PM   #22
mike_302
Elite Member

1. the BB10 phones will not be as big as the playbook, and consequently, not as heavy. And, may I also point out that it's one of the lighter tablets on the market so...

2. Fair enough. Some devices have heating issues.

3. If your battery is dying quick, it's likely due to charging practice, or something you should've taken care of right at the beginning of your ownership. Mine had a fairly poor life (looked like 5 hours to start), but I followed some steps online to improve the battery life. Standard practice has you fully discharge the battery until the unit shuts down, then recharge fully, for 12 hours. If it's still bad, then you should've had it replaced. Otherwise, battery life for the unit is also near the top of it's field.
Old 08-22-2012 at 04:49 PM   #23
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Standard practice has you fully discharge the battery until the unit shuts down, then recharge fully, for 12 hours. If it's still bad, then you should've had it replaced. Otherwise, battery life for the unit is also near the top of it's field.
You shouldn't be doing that with modern rechargeable devices. That practice applied specifically to NiCd battery technology and is harmful to lithium-ion batteries, which the playbook likely uses.

Anyway, the Nexus 7 pretty much owns the playbook in every way possible and at a better price point (not taking into account how many times the Playbook has been discounted due to inability to sell).

Just sayin'.
Old 08-22-2012 at 05:45 PM   #24
thuks0251

Quote:
When comparing the battery life of both tablets, the iPad 2 has a 6930 mAh battery capacity while the PlayBook has 5300 mAh battery capacity. No doubt the iPad 2 has a higher battery capacity than the PlayBook, but it is hard to decide who the clear winner is, as the battery performance of each tablets depends on the power management of both hardware and software of the tablets. Both tablets are offering 16/32/64 GB internal storage.
More on: http://www.mobile88.com/news/read.as...d-2-Comparison

Old 08-22-2012 at 06:25 PM   #25
mike_302
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
You shouldn't be doing that with modern rechargeable devices. That practice applied specifically to NiCd battery technology and is harmful to lithium-ion batteries, which the playbook likely uses.

Anyway, the Nexus 7 pretty much owns the playbook in every way possible and at a better price point (not taking into account how many times the Playbook has been discounted due to inability to sell).

Just sayin'.
Actually, it was not only recommended by the Tech Support company, but it's a common fix that any Playbook junkie will recommend... And it worked. It's not something you do every single time you use the unit... It was required for the first charge.

Nexus 7 doesn't own the playbook in every way possible. Speakers for 1. Video output for another. Camera hardware is another item. I'm tired of listing the places where the playbook comes out on top These false statements of overall superiority are getting boring. There are very few websites out there that compare the Playbook to another tablet and say "The playbook blows in comparison"... The vast majority put it on par in most categories, superior in others, and -- granted-- always inferior in app availability.
Old 08-22-2012 at 06:30 PM   #26
mike_302
Elite Member

Quote:
That website has the most abysmal comparison I've ever seen. It blatantly mislabels all the features in the side-by-side comparison. First off, it says 1GB for Playbook, and compares that to 16GB/32GB/64GB for iPad.... It's comparing RAM to storage space. Apples to Oranges.

It's blatantly incorrect about the Playbook, because the Playbook HAS a magnetometer, an accelerometer, a Gyroscope, it has GPS, it has --- I'm not listing all the things that are missing on that list from the Playbook, but present on the iPad side.
Old 08-22-2012 at 07:16 PM   #27
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
I know people working at RIM and a coworker of mine recently got a hold of a prototype BBX device - EVERYONE says the OS sucks.

The problem is RIM isn't large enough to be doing what they're trying to do - maintain their own OS. They simply don't have the man power to match the ever increasing functionality that Apple and Android are providing with their OSes. They always miss their market window by about a year and then fail to pay off their non-recurring engineering costs.

If anything, I think RIM should just drop the idea of maintaining their own OS completely and go with Android (like basically everyone else who isn't Apple). Then they can focus on Blackberry specific applications and hardware, in which they should have an easier time matching everyone else.

Even if the Blackberry OS were better than its competitors at the core (which it isn't) lack of developer support would still run them into the ground.
1. RIM has been maintaining BB7 for quite long so there goes your first argument of RIM not being able to maintain their own OS.

2. QNX is the core of BB10 and it's a Realtime OS on a microkernel so yes, it is better than Android at its core, especially since Android's core is like a linux kernel + Dalvik.

3. Your friend. I don't know which prototype they got and which build they got but a lot has already changed since the last public. Can't divulge details but to go by that beta is laughable. FYI, it's common knowledge that the UI on the beta NDKs/builds is NOT the final one, the final UI is replaced on beta builds to preserve secrets, considering how easily RIM replaced the UI mid-testing without any issues says something about the modularity of the OS. Again, common knowledge.

Quote:

The OS on the Playbook IS bb10, by and large. Lol, speaking of getting informed. And the most recent playbook os update has been generally, all-around amazing! While it still lacks a few features, those will surely be there for the phone release in January. So there goes the whole opinion on BB10 os sucking...
While you're siding with BB10 in this post, I want to correct this. The best I can say is that the Playbook OS is ... too plain in comparison to BB10. Not sure how much your friends in the BB10 software testing are letting on but ask them about the current builds and the difference since summer ones.

Quote:
I know people that have been working on it for 16-months. I think that's more than enough time to evaluate whether something is good or not.

Compared to Android and iOS, or compared to the old shitty OS RIM had? You're gonna have to present more evidence than "it's amazing" as a reason for why it's at all worth while.

Not at all. That was the worst argument ever.
Not sure if you've ever worked on an alpha quality software but if the software is still in alpha quality by the end of that person's co-op, their evaluation isn't applicable to the beta or the release product.

To be honest, when I got to work on the May builds of BB10. I wasn't a fan and was still an Android lover. Now I'm not sure I love Android as much as I want BB10 to succeed, and that's saying something since I've actually liked Android enough to submit patches.

Also, can't really have a real argument since I'm under NDA. Plus, it's not like I can sway your opinion with talk. You'll see for yourself when it releases.

/Hopefully-didn't-break-NDA

Last edited by Afzal : 08-22-2012 at 07:35 PM.

mike_302 likes this.
Old 08-22-2012 at 07:34 PM   #28
thuks0251

Quote:
That website has the most abysmal comparison I've ever seen. It blatantly mislabels all the features in the side-by-side comparison. First off, it says 1GB for Playbook, and compares that to 16GB/32GB/64GB for iPad.... It's comparing RAM to storage space. Apples to Oranges.

It's blatantly incorrect about the Playbook, because the Playbook HAS a magnetometer, an accelerometer, a Gyroscope, it has GPS, it has --- I'm not listing all the things that are missing on that list from the Playbook, but present on the iPad side.
Don't forget that this article is from April 2011, so... the author is discussing what the scenario was then. Realistically, this was when everyone was running to get the new toy, and obviously everyone chose the better one of the two. Now, the people who already bought a tablet at that time do any one of these things:

1. critique their own device compared to the newer models
2. discard their old model for a new one
3. try to make do with what they have without any complaints

But, no matter what, it's always gonna be the same with technology, you either like it or... you don't and consumers are always gonna be out to get the most "in" device

Then again, this is just me talking
Old 08-22-2012 at 07:37 PM   #29
mike_302
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
/Hopefully-didn't-break-NDA
Lol, you didn't say anything specific about BB10, or even really give anything away about BB10 at all, so I think you're safe.

I guess what I mean by saying the Playbook OS is BB10 is that they're made of the same bare bones. I really think the core (QNX) is a huge differentiation in the market. I think it would be an awful world if we were left with the Android and iOS as our only options... They don't stack up to QNX as I've seen it in the playbook OS, and certainly not as I would expect it in OS10. QNX at its core was designed for multi-tasking, as I understand it, and it does that well.
Old 08-22-2012 at 07:41 PM   #30
mike_302
Elite Member

Quote:
Don't forget that this article is from April 2011, so... the author is discussing what the scenario was then. Realistically, this was when everyone was running to get the new toy, and obviously everyone chose the better one of the two. Now, the people who already bought a tablet at that time do any one of these things:

1. critique their own device compared to the newer models
2. discard their old model for a new one
3. try to make do with what they have without any complaints

But, no matter what, it's always gonna be the same with technology, you either like it or... you don't and consumers are always gonna be out to get the most "in" device

Then again, this is just me talking
the scenario never changed. The playbook out now is still modern technology, and it has the same features. I think that article is an awful thing to cite or show anyone. The author demonstrates the epitome of stupidity. If 100 people wasted 15 minutes reading that article and the spec comparison sheet, that's 1500 minutes of the world WASTED. 25 man hours. I just imagined myself sitting at a desk for 25 hours of my work week, twiddling my thumbs... Scary thought considering 1,000's have probably read that article, meaning hundreds of hours of the world's time: