Blackberry help..? Kathy2 Computers & Tech 16 03-22-2010 10:54 AM

Blackberry Connexion

Old 08-22-2012 at 07:54 PM   #31
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Lol, you didn't say anything specific about BB10, or even really give anything away about BB10 at all, so I think you're safe.

I guess what I mean by saying the Playbook OS is BB10 is that they're made of the same bare bones. I really think the core (QNX) is a huge differentiation in the market. I think it would be an awful world if we were left with the Android and iOS as our only options... They don't stack up to QNX as I've seen it in the playbook OS, and certainly not as I would expect it in OS10. QNX at its core was designed for multi-tasking, as I understand it, and it does that well.
Exactly. It's never good to not have competition. Look at the Canadian mobile carriers industry and how stagnant it was until a couple of years ago.

Competition is good for everyone and to drive innovation. This is the main reason I want to see a third competitor up there which brings new features. We already see people liking WP7/WP8, its unified messaging system (well that's the only thing I like about it).

People are saying how BB10 sucks etc but I think these same people would've been anticipating the release had this exact software been released by some new company.
Old 08-22-2012 at 08:19 PM   #32
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Also, can't really have a real argument since I'm under NDA. Plus, it's not like I can sway your opinion with talk. You'll see for yourself when it releases.

/Hopefully-didn't-break-NDA
Dude, honestly stop acting like you're a big fucking deal - who gives a shit. I'm under an NDA too and I don't give a fuck; I doubt you're gonna ruin RIM by telling us what vague details you know.

I'll wait and see what comes out, but I won't be the least bit surprised if it's something a good generation or two behind Android and iOS.

anonanon987 likes this.
Old 08-22-2012 at 08:24 PM   #33
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Nexus 7 doesn't own the playbook in every way possible. Speakers for 1. Video output for another. Camera hardware is another item. I'm tired of listing the places where the playbook comes out on top These false statements of overall superiority are getting boring. There are very few websites out there that compare the Playbook to another tablet and say "The playbook blows in comparison"... The vast majority put it on par in most categories, superior in others, and -- granted-- always inferior in app availability.
Okay cool, so it beats it in the superfluous components that only a fraction of users actually care about that Google/ASUS purposely cut back on to keep build costs under $200.

In terms of actual hardware that matters to 99% of consumers though (CPU, GPU, Battery life) the Nexus 7 is winning by a long shot.

I highly doubt RIM is making much of a profit (if any) nor has even come close to paying off the non-recurring engineering costs on the playbook, seeing how it's now priced at about a third of what it started at.
Old 08-22-2012 at 09:55 PM   #34
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Dude, honestly stop acting like you're a big fucking deal - who gives a shit. I'm under an NDA too and I don't give a fuck; I doubt you're gonna ruin RIM by telling us what vague details you know.

I'll wait and see what comes out, but I won't be the least bit surprised if it's something a good generation or two behind Android and iOS.
Uncalled for. I give a shit. Vague details I know? Lol, I work on the latest builds buddy so I know more than just vague details.

If you're breaking your NDA, it's your fucking choice. Don't you work on DB2?

Last edited by Afzal : 08-22-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-22-2012 at 10:41 PM   #35
thuks0251

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
the scenario never changed. The playbook out now is still modern technology, and it has the same features. I think that article is an awful thing to cite or show anyone. The author demonstrates the epitome of stupidity. If 100 people wasted 15 minutes reading that article and the spec comparison sheet, that's 1500 minutes of the world WASTED. 25 man hours. I just imagined myself sitting at a desk for 25 hours of my work week, twiddling my thumbs... Scary thought considering 1,000's have probably read that article, meaning hundreds of hours of the world's time:
Again... it's all about personal choice/thoughts
Old 08-22-2012 at 10:52 PM   #36
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Uncalled for. I give a shit. Vague details I know? Lol, I work on the latest builds buddy so I know more than just vague details.

If you're breaking your NDA, it's your fucking choice. Don't you work on DB2?
Alright alright, that was harsh, I take it back. My hatred for RIM is actually rooted in something completely unrelated to all this. Displaced frustration from how pointless my work term was as it comes to an end. I'm sorry.

And no, I'm on one of the few teams that has nothing to do with DB2. I write Java implementations of terrible rushed ideas my department head thinks of that frequently get trashed/shelved for more crappy ideas that don't scale even a little bit.
Old 08-26-2012 at 07:50 PM   #37
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Now THIS was an interesting read. Especially the last 3 parts of Page 2:

http://www.theglobeandmail.c om/rep...498453/?page=3
Old 08-27-2012 at 06:40 PM   #38
Afzal
Android Dev

I find this very satisfying: http://kalogirou.net/2012/08/25/impr...-ios-ate-dust/

Also, that app startup time is actually slow compared to the goal in a few weeks.