MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
List your iphone/blackberry plans here! :) demelo_b Computers & Tech 1 08-04-2010 12:52 PM
Iphone/blackberry plans demelo_b Computers & Tech 14 07-01-2010 10:43 PM
Blackberry help..? Kathy2 Computers & Tech 16 03-22-2010 10:54 AM

Blackberry vs. iphone

Old 06-22-2010 at 10:59 PM   #16
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
True dat. I tried to install something on my BB a while back, and I got caught in a hellish endless loop of license agreements and installation confirmations, and never got the damn thing installed. On my ipod, I touch the app I want, put in my password, and in a few seconds, its ready to go.
haha yup. One of my friends had to go through the same and ended up giving up.

Also Lorend, Im sure ya already know this but there is a new Iphone coming out next month. Or if ya want something cheeper the 3Gs is only 99$ now on a contract if im right

lorend says thanks to Crzyrio for this post.
Old 06-22-2010 at 11:02 PM   #17
Skye

Liked: 3 Times

oh my goodness, iphones are amazing!! i had a blackberry for a couple years and just got an iphone. I love it so much more!! Funny thing is I use my iphone for email, browsing, and sometime a couple of knowledge organization apps so i don't even use it for games (i am not fond of the games) Personally i prefer the email on my iphone over my blackberry, the layout is neater and fast!

Iphone!!

lorend says thanks to Skye for this post.
Old 06-22-2010 at 11:12 PM   #18
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

My iphone keeps my life organized to the minute. I love it, I would not be able to live without it for the simple usefulness of it. I really do use my iPhone for productivity and I don't see any problems with it. Granted you do get blown away by how much it CANT do when you get it, but I soon realized that it was very good at what it CAN do. Which is total organization/synching excellence.

I don't know how far BB has come, but the last time I tried it(for a few days), it was VERY frustrating.

Last edited by adrian : 06-22-2010 at 11:14 PM.

lorend says thanks to adrian for this post.
Old 06-22-2010 at 11:18 PM   #19
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I had an iPhone (until some jackass who I will hunt down and decapitate/blow up with a missile one day stole it). In terms of hardware, it was very nice. My main gripe about it was how locked down it was in terms of what you could do. The thing required an iTunes account (which I believe requires a credit card number) just to download free applications, and the thing locked me into iTunes (which was a really big pain in the ass since apple offers nothing for Linux). Another problem, which I doubt many others have encountered, was the incomplete bluetooth audio drivers. I use bluetooth headphones, and apple only implemented support for the play and pause button on them... not the forward and reverse. They've only fixed it now a year later in iOS 4.

It was possible to unlock it, but the effort I needed to put into having the device the way I wanted was too annoying. It's a shame apple has to be such douches with their products.

Anyway, now I have an HTC Magic smart phone (Rogers gave it to me after my other phone was stolen for $70 ), and it's pretty decent. The android market place (unlike the shitty apple one) doesn't require any information from me and almost everything is free (well, anything good).

There is also tons of community support/hacking, so I'm running Android 2.1 even though it's technically not out here yet :p. The only thing I kind of dislike is how short the battery life is and how long the thing takes to start up.

lorend says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.

adrian, dsahota like this.
Old 06-23-2010 at 12:16 AM   #20
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

I can't believe I forgot to mention this, but if you get the BB you can get in on Wind which is blowing away rogers plan wise right now (seriously, you can get unlimited province-wide roaming/long-distance + unlimited text + 500 MB data for $60 a month, and right now they'll only charge $30 for the first 6 months). I have an iPhone that I like and even I'm thinking of trading it in for a wind mobile phone because of how much Rogers plans suck.

lorend says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.
Old 06-23-2010 at 12:39 AM   #21
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
I have an iPhone that I like and even I'm thinking of trading it in for a wind mobile phone because of how much Rogers plans suck.
Can't you just swap the sim cards?
Old 06-23-2010 at 05:16 AM   #22
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Thanks for all of the replies!

Hmmm.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-23-2010 at 07:15 AM   #23
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Can't you just swap the sim cards?

Unfortunately, Wind mobile works on a frequency that is not supported by the iphone and many other phones yet :(.
Old 06-23-2010 at 07:34 AM   #24
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

I have a Blackberry.....it helps for corporate jobs and BBM is a great chat platform (providing your friends have Blackberries too).

New iPhone does look really good though!

lorend says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 06-23-2010 at 08:36 AM   #25
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

lol, has everyone seen this video? Apple is acting like their new iPhone just cured cancer or something...
Old 06-23-2010 at 09:23 AM   #26
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

I've had an iPhone for a few years now and I have no idea how I functioned before it. I've had it throughout university and it's been amazing. I love the apps, the always available internet, the design, etc. I could never go back to a blackberry or any other phone after this.

lorend says thanks to jachill for this post.
Old 06-23-2010 at 09:50 AM   #27
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Just to clear up, you do not need a CC to use iTunes Store, they give you the option for "none"
Old 06-23-2010 at 05:23 PM   #28
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Just to clear up, you do not need a CC to use iTunes Store, they give you the option for "none"
Having never heard that in my 8 years working for/with Apple, I had to check it. I just created a new account, right now, and need a CC for it.
Old 06-23-2010 at 07:17 PM   #29
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Having never heard that in my 8 years working for/with Apple, I had to check it. I just created a new account, right now, and need a CC for it.
Sorry to go off topic here but could i ask you a quick question.

How did you get the job at apple? and is there anything specific they look for in resumes?
I would love to work at the genius bar there or any other position. I have quiet a bit of knowledge about apple and their products and im just curious. I tried applying online but no lucky yet.

Thanks
Rioch
Old 06-23-2010 at 07:29 PM   #30
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
Sorry to go off topic here but could i ask you a quick question.

How did you get the job at apple? and is there anything specific they look for in resumes?
I would love to work at the genius bar there or any other position. I have quiet a bit of knowledge about apple and their products and im just curious. I tried applying online but no lucky yet.

Thanks
Rioch
I have a friend that works(ed?) with Apple as a genius bar dood. He said you basically can't get into the genius bar stuff unless you're recommended. He started at Best Buy and did well enough that his manager or someone wrote a recommendation.

I heard that with Apple, their employees are very serious business. My friend got flown out to California for free with hotel and everything to be trained on how to help nubs with their problems.