MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
List your iphone/blackberry plans here! :) demelo_b Computers & Tech 1 08-04-2010 12:52 PM
Iphone/blackberry plans demelo_b Computers & Tech 14 07-01-2010 10:43 PM
Blackberry help..? Kathy2 Computers & Tech 16 03-22-2010 10:54 AM

Blackberry vs. iphone

Old 06-23-2010 at 07:36 PM   #31
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I agree with everyone else basically... typing on iPhones are really annoying. If you're going to be emailing alot, definately go with something with a physical keyboard!

If Blackberries/Androids can store music that would be win for me..
Old 06-23-2010 at 08:19 PM   #32
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I would suggest a Blackberry for emailing and texting, and an iPhone for games, apps and playing.

lorend says thanks to Kathy2 for this post.
Old 06-23-2010 at 09:19 PM   #33
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
I agree with everyone else basically... typing on iPhones are really annoying. If you're going to be emailing alot, definately go with something with a physical keyboard!
I think when it comes to typing on a touch keyboard or physical keyboard all comes down to personal preference.

Quote:
I would suggest a Blackberry for emailing and texting, and an iPhone for games, apps and playing.
The iphone is just as good for emailing and texting. There is really no difference other than the keyboard unless you are looking at it from a business standpoint

The only downside of the iphone email is it takes a little longer to check for messages compared to the BB.

Last edited by Crzyrio : 06-23-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-23-2010 at 10:53 PM   #34
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
Sorry to go off topic here but could i ask you a quick question.

How did you get the job at apple? and is there anything specific they look for in resumes?
I would love to work at the genius bar there or any other position. I have quiet a bit of knowledge about apple and their products and im just curious. I tried applying online but no lucky yet.

Thanks
Rioch
Everyone I know that work at Apple Stores as Mac Genii (Geniuses?), including the Fairview, Eaton Center, Sherway Gardens, Yorkdale, Mississauga, and Vancouver stores have one thing in common: they all have finished post secondary education of some sort. Im pretty sure completion of college or university is a requirement, though they don't advertise that. I applied to the genius bar countless times, and never got an interview, nor did my buddy, both with high school diplomas. Both of us were Apple certified for desktops, portables, and OS X, and had 5-7 years of experience working for Apple's tech support, but never even got a call back, even after we got friends working at the stores to put in a good word for us.

They do take employees pretty seriously, and Dillon said. My friend Phil got flown, at Apple's expense, to California for 2 weeks of "in class" training, then to Philly for in store training, again at Apple's expense, then started at the Yorkdale store when it opened years ago.
Old 06-23-2010 at 11:34 PM   #35
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

I've been a BlackBerry user for 4 years...I got a new one last year though. I find it easy to use. Now that most phones come with wifi, I find my bill isn't as high as it used to be (I have a 500MB data plan with Fido but I never go over 500MB!) Blackberry data compression is also smaller. I have an iPod touch and that made me decide not to go with an iPhone...I'm not fond of touch screens and I find it easy to type on a Blackberry....it didn't take me long to get used to my Blackberry.

lorend says thanks to marieeeeeee for this post.
Old 06-26-2010 at 10:52 AM   #36
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Having never heard that in my 8 years working for/with Apple, I had to check it. I just created a new account, right now, and need a CC for it.
I created an account few months ago with no problems. Had an option for "none"
Old 06-26-2010 at 11:00 AM   #37
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Check out this link, it will show you how much the iPhone 4 has improved, if you want to wait for it:
http://eceplayground.com/2010/06/26/...s-vs-iphone-4/

lorend says thanks to blackdragon for this post.
Old 06-26-2010 at 11:00 AM   #38
juntom10
I'm cool. You know that.

Liked: 7 Times

BB is great.

I had one (BB curve).

i used it for emailing, texting, and scheduling.

As you know..>BB is more like a business phone..

Iphone is more like a toy.

If you can't decide between those two, why don't you consider Android phones?

Those are great too...

lorend says thanks to juntom10 for this post.
Old 06-26-2010 at 11:01 AM   #39
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Honestly, I think iPhone only has an edge to most people because of it's design. Ever since iPod and MacBooks came out, everyone's been sort of entranced by the nice and pretty design. Don't get me wrong, the technology itself is great, but at the end of the day, their stuff is super expensive and iphone bills tend to be a lot.

That said, I'm in love with my BB Curve. I can do pretty much everything on it and I have no complaints - e-mail, text, MSN, browsing sites (including FB, LJ & Twitter) and a whole bunch of other things. And my bill is like, 50 bucks for unlimited texting (this includes e-mail and instant messaging), and the other usual features.

I'm still considering getting an iPod Touch for my music needs though, haha, so I'm sort of a sucker for Apple too. I just won't have to pay a crazy bill every month.

lorend says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 06-26-2010 at 12:26 PM   #40
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Honestly, I think iPhone only has an edge to most people because of it's design.
I think it's more because they're always first. Apple pretty much invented the concept of a hard drive based media player back in 2001 (the iPod), and had pretty much zero competition. They hooked lots of people with those silhouette ads. So even though there are other possibly even better solutions today, most people still choose iPods because it's what they know.

Same with the iPhone; most smart phones were crap before it came out. Now everyone's buying those, even though cheaper and possibly superior phones exist.

And of course all the people that straight away buy one of those are gonna be interested in the computers too .
Old 06-26-2010 at 12:29 PM   #41
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by juntom10 View Post
If you can't decide between those two, why don't you consider Android phones?

Those are great too...
What IS an android phone?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-26-2010 at 12:35 PM   #42
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
What IS an android phone?
It's a phone that also doubles as a humanoid robot and aids you in daily physical chores.

No but seriously, it's Google's answer to the iPhone. Probably like half of the smartphones now run Android.

Here's some info.

lorend says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 06-26-2010 at 12:37 PM   #43
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
It's a phone that also doubles as a humanoid robot and aids you in daily physical chores.
Like Bender? Or Marvin the Manically-Depressed robot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
No but seriously, it's Google's answer to the iPhone. Probably like half of the smartphones now run Android.

Here's some info.
Yay for info!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-26-2010 at 12:53 PM   #44
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

I highly recommend Android, being far removed from the whole smartphone movement (I have a trusty Nokia 6300 dumbphone).

The new iPhone is nice. The issues they've been having with reception are set to be fixed by a software update on monday, and the yellowed screens go away after a few hours of use. However, being a software engineer, it costs me $99 to get on the App Store, without a viable alternative. And once I'm in the program, it's not 100% if I'd even make it to the App Store.

In contrast, I think Google had a $45 developer program, but it's entirely optional. Plus, they allow for more flexible distribution (like how you download software on to your computer now), as well as an open App Market. And the phones made by HTC and the Motorola Milestone/Droid are amazing. Specifically, look at the new HTC Legend which recently had it's North American preimere at Virgin Mobile (yay Canada). (http://www.htc.com/www/product/legend/gallery.html) It's a gorgeous and powerful phone. Much more so than even a BB. You get the best of both worlds, I think: lots of apps, and a very open and welcoming platform for business.

Now, I honestly think that Android is the future. Google's been advancing it like crazy, and the newest version (2.2, codenamed Froyo) is the best and one of the fastest mobile operating systems out there. Period.

I kind of laugh at Samsung's new OS, Bada, because it looks ugly and will probably end up being Samsung only. In summary:
  • Android is the future
  • Samsung Bada won't gain steam
  • Blackberry's new OS has some nice elements, but still has BB fugliness
  • Nokia and Intel's MeeGo looks interesting (see Nokia N900, another gorgeous phone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhTtsZATwBQ)

Last edited by aaront : 06-26-2010 at 12:56 PM.

lorend says thanks to aaront for this post.
Old 06-26-2010 at 05:24 PM   #45
shaha22

Liked: 0 Times

personally i would suggest trying both of the phones out. go to a rogers store or whatever and see how the iphone works for you and then look at a blackberry. to be honest, both my brother and sister went with iphones and they love it. however, i found that it is very fragile. if you're like me, a person who has a weird habit of dropping phones once in a while then i would not recommend the iphone. my sister droped it once (well it was more like dropping it out of her pocket) and the entire screen cracked! WITH a iphone case on. a simlar thing happened to my brother's phone as well. i personally have a blackberry and its not complicated to use at all. infact i found it easier to use. i only use it to check emails and stay connected with people through blackberry messenger and i absolutely love it.

lorend says thanks to shaha22 for this post.