MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conflicts??? GCSM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-09-2010 09:32 PM
Conflicts hellohello Academics 4 06-15-2010 12:26 AM
conflicts Strongwiller Academics 2 09-13-2009 08:08 PM
Living with conflicts ARose General Discussion 16 08-13-2009 09:32 PM
Timetable conflicts? lizziemcg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-13-2009 11:11 AM

Bleeearrgghhhh conflicts!

Old 06-08-2009 at 07:35 PM   #1
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Bleeearrgghhhh conflicts!
So, basically my schedule sucks a lot, and all the philosophy courses that I need for a minor conflict with my Engineering Physics courses. Since Eng Phys is such a small department there is no way I can switch out of those classes, and therefore, I am majorly reworking my electives.

I was wondering how one goes about getting special permission for a course? For example, if I wanted to take a 3rd year philosophy course that requires registration in level 3 as well as 6 units of electives, (I've only got 3 units so far due to scheduling conflicts last year too), and I wanted to register for it anyway, would this just involve vast amounts of begging? Or do I need a certain GPA/letters etc? Is this even possible?

Thanks a ton, to anyone who has any input.
Old 06-08-2009 at 08:40 PM   #2
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I just emailed the school of the arts for permission in a course that requires you to be in theatre and film or special permission (i'm doing a minor through society myself!) I basically just told them I was very interested in the subject and would be committing 100%, adn that all the other courses I am interested in are conflicting or not offered (same situation i think!)

Good luck! I feel like I may have to look for some summer courses.. but I don't know how many are offered :S

Geek says thanks to micadjems for this post.
Old 06-08-2009 at 09:33 PM   #3
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

The associate dean's office will be able to point you in the right direction. They may even give you permission on the spot.

Geek says thanks to DannyV for this post.
Old 06-09-2009 at 08:39 AM   #4
Geek
Account Disabled by User

@ DannyV. Do you mean the associate dean of the department that I'm trying to take courses from or the associate Dean of Eng Phys?

@ Jackie, do you know if Society requires you to have takesn a certain number of electives by a certain year? I'm thinking of just dropping my electives (again!) and taking fourth year classes this year and making up for it next year. I guess I should just go see Anna, lol....
Old 06-09-2009 at 08:57 AM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
@ DannyV. Do you mean the associate dean of the department that I'm trying to take courses from or the associate Dean of Eng Phys?
Ya, I think he means department. I emailed the general engineering office about course overloading and they redirected me to my department :p
Old 06-09-2009 at 09:40 AM   #6
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Yeah definitely look into getting permission right away. Almost every single upper year philosophy course is offered in alternate years so you won't have the chance to take it again until your fourth year. Which course are you talking about?

I feel like you might have some trouble minoring in philosophy if your program is already giving you conflicts in 2nd year... hopefully you get lucky next year and you don't have conflicts with 2A06 and 2C06. Try to take them in different years if you can, 2C06 is especially killer although they just introduced tutorials for next year which should help with the material.
Old 06-09-2009 at 09:59 AM   #7
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by callender View Post

I feel like you might have some trouble minoring in philosophy if your program is already giving you conflicts in 2nd year... hopefully you get lucky next year and you don't have conflicts with 2A06 and 2C06. Try to take them in different years if you can, 2C06 is especially killer although they just introduced tutorials for next year which should help with the material.

It wasn't so much of a conflict last year as it was that I would have had to take 42 units with a philosophy elective. So I didn't, I took a 3rd year course instead, hoping that having fewer Eng Phys courses this year would free up my schedule to take elctives this year. Neither 2A06 or 2C06 fit in my schedule this year, so I'm trying to take 2D03 and 3A06 and hopefully taking the other two next year. Do you know if either of those are offered over the summer?
Old 06-09-2009 at 10:08 AM   #8
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
It wasn't so much of a conflict last year as it was that I would have had to take 42 units with a philosophy elective. So I didn't, I took a 3rd year course instead, hoping that having fewer Eng Phys courses this year would free up my schedule to take electives this year. Neither 2A06 or 2C06 fit in my schedule this year, so I'm trying to take 2D03 and 3A06 and hopefully taking the other two next year. Do you know if either of those are offered over the summer?
The philosophy courses that are usually offered in the summer are 2D03, the Business Ethics one, and a first year class or two. Sometimes a 3rd year reading course as well. 2D03 is always in really high demand so its usually offered in the summer. 3A06 definitely won't be offered in the summer. As for 2A06 and 2C06, they definitely won't be offered in the summer, there just isn't enough demand.

It really sucks that you absolutely have to take 2A06 and 2CO6 for the minor, they're so hard to fit into anyone's schedule.

What are all the philosophy classes that you have taken so far? You must almost have all the units except the 12 from 2A06 and 2C06.
Old 06-09-2009 at 10:18 AM   #9
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Haha, you'd think I'd have all the philosophy courses I need... but I've only taken first year courses so far. The 42 units last year was all Eng classes. I'm in a five year program though, so hopefully if nothing works out, I'll have my last year to completely splurge on electives and hopefully everything will fit.

I'm majorly excited for 3A06 and 2C06. I've heard that 2A06 is a little dry and the profs are boring. And I don't think any Philosophy courses except for Business Ethics was offered during the summer this year :(

I really don't know what I'm going to do if I can't get a minor. Probably kick and scream and beg and cry and plead until they fix my schedule.