MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Breaking Into Investment Banking IBanker Volunteering Opportunities 5 08-29-2010 01:34 PM
Quad Rooms kdoc77 Residence & Housing 1 03-24-2010 03:44 PM
Breaking news Re: Bursaries sniderj Financial Aid 4 02-02-2010 09:14 AM
Where to check Mail in West Quad? Allan Residence & Housing 1 09-10-2008 06:30 PM
Renovations to the Arts Quad lorend MacInsiders Announcements 5 05-02-2008 04:34 PM

BREAKING: MUSC and Art Quad Closed

Ten Buildings Affected By Electrical Transformer Fire

Photo courtesy of KevinF

A electrical problem with a transformer in Gilmour Hall caused a fire today, forcing the power grid to be turned off in order to prevent smoke from moving through the air ventilation system. Ten buildings were evacuated due to the power outage. This is the second electrical problem this month following one that happened in BSB last week. The electrical problem occurred around 9:30am. The buildings were reopened around noon, MUSC remained closed off but was opened shortly after. MussMail and UnivMail servers were down during the power outage.

Read updated Hamilton Spectator report here.
Read updated Daily News story here.

Buildings that were affected included:
  • MUSC
  • Arts quad (KTH, CNH, TSH, Degroote Building)
  • Gilmour hall
  • University hall
  • DBAC/Ivor Wynne
  • Commons
  • Some buildings in North quad (woodstock and mckay confirmed without power)
Update 10am: Power outtage occurred to many art quad buildings including DBAC. Deemed an electrical fire. Most buildings near student centre blocked off. TSH, KTH, CNH, and DeGroote evacuated.

Note: The Hamilton Spectator reports an electrical fire in Gilmour Hall and that the building was evacuated.

Note: Rachel DeLazzer of The Hamilton Spectator updates saying that 10 buildings were closed and that the electrical fire started in the basement of Gilmour Hall.

Update 11am: Email system and some servers down. Meal card system was down but appears to be working again.

Update 11:10am:
Daily News has posted:
Quote:
An electrical outage at McMaster has caused a power disruption for several buildings on campus. The McMaster University Student Centre, Chester New Hall, Gilmour Hall and other buildings are without power.
McMaster's technicians are currently investigating the power disruption.

Update 12:00:
Most buildings re-opened. MUSC still closed. MussMail and UnivMail still down.

Update 12:15: CHCH News @ Noon reports "Transformer Problem led to smoke pouring from the basement of Gilmour Hall. Officials closed the electric grid to prevent the smoke from spreading through ventilation" (thanks Ron for this info)

Update 12:30: All buildings open again. Operations returning back to normal on campus. Classes from this point on should be fine as the buildings are open now.
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 11-04-2008 at 08:49 AM   #2
james2255
Faculty Society VP
Program: Commerce
Year: Third

Liked: 19 Times
Not to start the rumor train or anything, but I just got a call from a friend. Apparently the fire trucks lines are pressurized. Which means they are using the water from the trucks.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 11-04-2008 at 08:54 AM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia
Year: Alumni

Liked: 1,731 Times
We can only hope it is nothing serious, and that no one was hurt.
Old 11-04-2008 at 09:11 AM   #4
Arslan142
Program: Business
Year: First

Liked: Liked 2 Times
Last time I was there they had everyone evacuated from TSH, KTH, and CNH. Are the buildings still closed?

Old 11-04-2008 at 09:14 AM   #5
Arslan142

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2255 View Post
Not to start the rumor train or anything, but I just got a call from a friend. Apparently the fire trucks lines are pressurized. Which means they are using the water from the trucks.
Yea, the hoses from the firetrucks are pressurized, I saw it around 9:30. Right now, no idea, hopefully everything is alright.
Old 11-04-2008 at 09:24 AM   #6
Niana
Program: Honors Biology and Psychology
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 1 Time
do you know whether any classes are canceled, and if so, till when?
Old 11-04-2008 at 09:25 AM   #7
Maegs
Elite Member
Program: History and Cultural Studies

Liked: 26 Times
i was there when they made an annoucement, right now 10 buildings have no power, including the arts quad, gilmour hall, university hall, dbac/ivor wynne, and north quad (commons and res's). the power will be out until at least noon, at that time they'll make another announcement. the email servers are also apparently down.
Old 11-04-2008 at 09:34 AM   #8
kevinf
Program: Software Engineering
Year: Fourth

Liked: 2 Times
mealcards do not work in JHE / MDCL, and i assume everywhere do to server being without power, so cash only and expect long lines!

heres a picture of the student center, yes the intake hose has water!

http://www.maclanclub.x10hos ting.c...firetrucks.jpg

their is a lot of ems / fire / police vehicles on the scene.

Its a shame of the caution tape and vehicles, that would have made a nice panaramic shot of MUSC! The sun is just hitting the trees in the right angle...

Last edited by kevinf : 11-04-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-04-2008 at 09:36 AM   #9
Maegs
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinf View Post
mealcards do not work in JHE / MDCL, and i assume everywhere do to server being without power, so cash only and expect long lines!
i just used a meal card in jhe about 10 minutes ago and it worked...people are using them now too

email appears to be working as well as far as i can tell - someone got emails on their blackberry from a mac address
Old 11-04-2008 at 09:45 AM   #10
FireDragoonX
Elite Member
Faculty: Business / Commerce

Liked: 142 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maegs View Post
i was there when they made an annoucement, right now 10 buildings have no power, including the arts quad, gilmour hall, university hall, dbac/ivor wynne, and north quad (commons and res's). the power will be out until at least noon, at that time they'll make another announcement. the email servers are also apparently down.
This..
Old 11-04-2008 at 09:55 AM   #11
Kurt_
Year: Other

Liked: 0 Times
Spokesperson Andrea Farquhar said McMaster hasn’t had three fire related incidents so close together in her memory.

What was the third? Brandon, this, and...

Also, 10:55, still nothing open. Power still looks out, obviously.
Old 11-04-2008 at 09:58 AM   #12
Niana
Program: Honors Biology and Psychology
Year: Second

Liked: 1 Time
the third would the be the BSB/JHE thing, i believe.
Old 11-04-2008 at 10:03 AM   #13
Arslan142

Hopefully they open the buildings before 3, need my math books in my locker at Togo.
Old 11-04-2008 at 10:06 AM   #14
carrka
Program: History

Liked: 14 Times
which buildings are closed and how do we find out if classes are cancelled?
Old 11-04-2008 at 10:08 AM   #15
Maegs
Elite Member

as far as i know, right now tsh, kth, cnh, musc, gilmour hall, university hall, commons, north quad res's (not sure if it's all or just some - i know woodstock and mckay have no power), dbac/ivor wynne, and possibly mills are closed

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search