MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breaking Into Investment Banking IBanker Volunteering Opportunities 5 08-29-2010 01:34 PM
Breaking news Re: Bursaries sniderj Financial Aid 4 02-02-2010 09:14 AM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
BREAKING: MUSC and Art Quad Closed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 26 11-04-2008 08:03 PM

[Breaking] The Playstation Phone

Old 10-27-2010 at 02:03 AM   #16
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Read carefully, I didn't say "emulate". I said dual-boot. I meant that Sony port the existing PSP backend/frontend/whatever to this phone's hardware at it'll run natively (not over Android) but as a separate OS on the phone.

Much similar to what I can do with booting Eclair AND Froyo on my one phone with both installed in different locations. The ease of switching won't be an issue since both will be able to provide booting into the other OS if this is implemented, I doubt Sony will do that but let's see.
I guess I should explain myself more clearly as well. The reason you can Dual Boot Froyo and Eclair on your phone, and that I can multi-boot Windows, OS X, and Ubuntu on the same computer is because these things are written for the same CPU architecture. I can't run OS 9 on an intel based computer because it was written for PPC architecture, I can't run 64-bit windows programs on 32-bit windows because the architecture is different.

Consoles (at least those not by MS) tend to be written specifically for their hardware, which usually means their software is written specifically for their CPU architecture. This is why PS2 contained the original PSX's CPU, and why early PS3's had the PS2 CPU (backwards compatibility). The PSP software wouldn't run well on ARM CPU architecture because it's written for a modified MIPS CPU architecture. It would have to be emulated which means it's gonna take more than a 1GHz single-core CPU running Android. Unless they decide to toss in the PSPs CPU and add to the size/price of the phone.
Old 10-27-2010 at 02:20 AM   #17
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
I guess I should explain myself more clearly as well. The reason you can Dual Boot Froyo and Eclair on your phone, and that I can multi-boot Windows, OS X, and Ubuntu on the same computer is because these things are written for the same CPU architecture. I can't run OS 9 on an intel based computer because it was written for PPC architecture, I can't run 64-bit windows programs on 32-bit windows because the architecture is different.

Consoles (at least those not by MS) tend to be written specifically for their hardware, which usually means their software is written specifically for their CPU architecture. This is why PS2 contained the original PSX's CPU, and why early PS3's had the PS2 CPU (backwards compatibility). The PSP software wouldn't run well on ARM CPU architecture because it's written for a modified MIPS CPU architecture. It would have to be emulated which means it's gonna take more than a 1GHz single-core CPU running Android. Unless they decide to toss in the PSPs CPU and add to the size/price of the phone.
And i said that if Sony ports it to this hardware, it'll run natively.

I guess you understood my post now. The portion of optimizing it for ARM, coming from MIPS, is Sony's problem, but since they actually know how it should work. I think it would be possible. Seeing that this CPU is 3 times faster (in clock rate) than the other one.

And then of course they could always toss in a "cut-down" version of the PSP's CPU or something like you said.

Dunno, best not to speculate too much on this since we don't even have much of the details.

If this does become Sony's main handheld platform, then expect a nice amount of good games on it...that is assured. But I do this (now that you made me realize MIPS vs ARM) that Sony made a kinda bad choice to go for the jack of all trades instead of going for a nice game-centered device.

Last edited by Afzal : 10-27-2010 at 03:58 AM.
Old 10-27-2010 at 02:49 AM   #18
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
And i said that if Sony ports it to this hardware, it'll run natively.

I guess you understood my post now. The portion of optimizing it for ARM, coming from MIPS, is Sony's problem, but since they actually know how it should work. I think it would be possible. Seeing that this CPU is 3 times faster (in clock rate) than the other one.
Sony shipped 140 Million PS2's with a PSX processor inside, and the PS2 ran about 10x faster than the PSX, if there was an easy way to port I'm sure they would've done it there rather than spend extra money on the PSX CPU. The PSX wasn't software emulated until the PS3 which has 100x the clock speed.

I'm done with this argument Afzal. I don't know what other evidence I can put up, you seem like you're pretty much set on w/e you wanna believe.

Moh2in likes this.
Old 10-27-2010 at 03:57 AM   #19
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Sony shipped 140 Million PS2's with a PSX processor inside, and the PS2 ran about 10x faster than the PSX, if there was an easy way to port I'm sure they would've done it there rather than spend extra money on the PSX CPU. The PSX wasn't software emulated until the PS3 which has 100x the clock speed.

I'm done with this argument Afzal. I don't know what other evidence I can put up, you seem like you're pretty much set on w/e you wanna believe.
I just said it's possible, didn't say they would do it :s Not arguing in the first place, just sharing what I think they should try to do.

I also agreed that they could just put the PSP's processor too or something :s

Last edited by Afzal : 10-27-2010 at 04:10 AM.
Old 10-27-2010 at 04:19 AM   #20
Afzal
Android Dev

uhmm..

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/4488/so...-phone-is-fake

Now the questions is.... Do you trust NowGamer or Engadget? (tweeted the link to Engadget's twitter )

Last edited by Afzal : 10-27-2010 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-27-2010 at 04:29 AM   #21
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

The concept of a phone with a controller interface is a great idea.
But it's being made by Sony, and that's an honest disappointment.
Sony is ridiculously **** about keeping things locked up - Even on an open platform like Android.
The bootloader has yet to be cracked, and it should have been open in the first place.
To make matters worse, Sony is ridiculously slow with software updates. I mean, the X10 is still on Android 1.6 and we're getting 2.3 in a few weeks. Seriously.

The difficulty that the PS3 had in emulating the PS2 was not a matter of its hardware not being powerful enough - ideally emulation can be run with a 1:1 efficiency, and with proper coding it's reasonably possible, however it's down to how different the processors of the two devices are. This is why my PC can emulate a system to run OSX in a Windows Enviroment - The operating systems are both based on x86 instruction sets.
You guys need to stop throwing the frequency of the processors around. It's like comparing apples to oranges. The problem here is that the PS2's CPU is nothing like the PS3's processor. Though they're both RISC processors, their architectures differ greatly. The instruction sets are completely different. The difference in clock frequency means absolutely nothing when comparing two processors that operate completely unlike each other. Lets not forget, the Cell processor is quite distinct from most consumer processors - It's a non-heterogeneous processor. It has one main core and 7 secondary cores. There are many other boring difference, but I'll spare you. The tldr is that the PS3 CPU is ****ed up.

The idea of having this PSPhone work with the PSP2 is entirely possible. With few exceptions, all high end Android devices use a Cortex (ARMv7) processor, as do most modern handheld devices. There will be no doubt that the PSP2 will also use an ARM processor. Emulation won't be necessary at all, as whatever processor the PSPhone has will have exactly the same instruction set as the PSP2. This means the they can both be run with the same environment. Like Afzal said, dual-booting is a totally plausible solution, but running PSP2 games directly off the PSPhone's operating system is entirely possible too.

Last edited by Freija : 10-27-2010 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10-27-2010 at 04:36 AM   #22
Afzal
Android Dev

^^ PSP2? When did that happen?
Old 10-27-2010 at 04:38 AM   #23
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Holy shit dude what are you doing online?

I don't know much about Sony products, but I was under the impression that the PSP2 was slated for a 2011 launch.
Old 10-27-2010 at 04:46 AM   #24
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freija View Post
Holy shit dude what are you doing online?
yeah...i dunno either. not watching **** though (downloaded Surrogates) lol
I could ask the same from you though :p
Old 10-27-2010 at 02:28 PM   #25
Afzal
Android Dev

Okay, Engadget is saying it still maintains it's real.
Old 10-27-2010 at 02:59 PM   #26
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Personally, I doubt that it's real. Sony is very good at not leaking their hardware in advance. I've been waiting on the psp2 leak since 2007...
Old 10-27-2010 at 03:10 PM   #27
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

meh it won't be that great
just like the N-Gage a couple of years ago
Old 10-27-2010 at 03:19 PM   #28
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
^^ PSP2? When did that happen?
Apparently its coming out next fall. If it looks like what is displayed in the picture, I'll be impressed.

http://kotaku.com/5672410/psp2-will-...-out-fall-2011

Old 10-27-2010 at 03:27 PM   #29
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegs14 View Post
Apparently its coming out next fall. If it looks like what is displayed in the picture, I'll be impressed.

nope, Engadget says that's the REAL picture of a prototype. The final design hasn't leaked.

I would like more of this design

it is possible that Sony is looking to release a PSPPhone and PSP2 as 2 different things.

Then this PSPPhone will fail miserably
Old 10-27-2010 at 03:42 PM   #30
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegs14 View Post

I saw that picture back in 2007. It was the first I ever heard about the psp2. I really really doubt it's the real deal. Furthermore i hope it's not the real deal because that is a piece of crap. l/r triggers on the side? and with it being that thin it'll be a pain to hold, especially if you're going to make use of the joysticks..