MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
HSR to burlington Ish001 Automotive & Transportation 12 09-09-2011 12:36 PM
GO train bus tray General Discussion 9 06-03-2011 01:07 AM
Go Train ID Taryn328 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-04-2010 02:50 PM
go train? neff First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-12-2008 11:32 AM

Burlington Train Derailment

NOTE: If you're looking to take GO service to Toronto today, take GO BUS. Go Train will stop at Aldershot.

Due to a VIA Rail train derailment in Burlington, we are unable to service the Aldershot GO Station until further notice. As a result, train trips that normally start and end in Aldershot will originate/terminate at the Burlington GO Station. GO Shuttle bus service will be provided in both directions. We expect Burlington GO to be quite busy and advise passengers, that normally park there to consider using Appleby as an alternate boarding location.

--

Three people are dead after a VIA Rail train derailed in Burlington.

The train, travelling from Niagara Falls to Toronto, derailed near the Highway 403 and King Road area at around 3:30 Sunday afternoon.

VIA officials say they do not know what caused two of the six cars to derail.

75 passengers were on board at the time and dozens became trapped inside.

Two air ambulances landed near the crash site.

Three passengers were sent to Hamilton General Hospital, one of them by helicopter.

They're all in serious but stable condition.

Full story on AM900 CHML

ikantsepll says thanks to Chad for this post.
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 02-27-2012 at 10:09 AM   #2
Reno V

Liked: 38 Times
Yeah, I heard about that last night. Pretty shocking.

I hope those injured pull through.

Old 02-27-2012 at 12:11 PM   #3
PhilM

Liked: 148 Times
So from what I understand, if I want to get to Toronto today I have to:

1. Take bus from McMaster to Aldershot
2. Take shuttle from Aldershot to Burlington
3. Take train from Burlingston to Toronto

Is this correct? What are my other options? Is there a bus that goes straight from McMaster/Hamilton to Toronto?

EDIT: Found it, Hamilton/Toronto express leaves from Hamilton GO almost every quarter hour and arrives at Union Station in Toronto 55 minutes later.

Old 02-27-2012 at 12:39 PM   #4
Flash AhhAhh

Liked: 28 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
So from what I understand, if I want to get to Toronto today I have to:

1. Take bus from McMaster to Aldershot
2. Take shuttle from Aldershot to Burlington
3. Take train from Burlingston to Toronto

Is this correct? What are my other options? Is there a bus that goes straight from McMaster/Hamilton to Toronto?

EDIT: Found it, Hamilton/Toronto express leaves from Hamilton GO almost every quarter hour and arrives at Union Station in Toronto 55 minutes later.
you can also pick that bus up at King and Dundurn.

Old 02-27-2012 at 11:27 PM   #5
Reno V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash AhhAhh View Post
you can also pick that bus up at King and Dundurn.
Not recommended. This will almost always result in you standing in the aisle for the duration of the trip.

Old 02-28-2012 at 05:46 AM   #6
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times
I agree with Reno. That derailment is horrible and it is truly depressing for those VIA Rail Train employees..

Old 03-01-2012 at 12:31 PM   #7
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times
Update: Turns out it was excessive speed which caused the derailment

Story: http://www.900chml.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1662562

Old 03-01-2012 at 02:11 PM   #8
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Update: Turns out it was excessive speed which caused the derailment

Story: http://www.900chml.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1662562
thats really interesting and weird considering that 2 of the conductors were seniors with what a few decades of experience? and form previous articles they were also the ones in control when the accident occurred and not the intern.... even though this article says that the breaks weren't even applied i hope that wasnt the case and that the brakes were in fact just dysfunctional.

Old 03-01-2012 at 04:31 PM   #9
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
thats really interesting and weird considering that 2 of the conductors were seniors with what a few decades of experience? and form previous articles they were also the ones in control when the accident occurred and not the intern.... even though this article says that the breaks weren't even applied i hope that wasnt the case and that the brakes were in fact just dysfunctional.
ive read a few articles about how its not a usual area that they switch tracks, and apparently they were supposed to slow to like 15mph whereas for most switches its usually 45mph.. it still doesnt explain why they were going 67mph.
from this article it seems that they dont know yet if the track signals displayed a mile and a half before the derailment were working properly, flashing yellow to tell them they need to slow down more
http://news.ca.msn.com/canada/high-s...est-of-toronto
its really a tragic accident, and i hope it doesnt deter people from train travel

Old 03-01-2012 at 05:27 PM   #10
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

There are so many different articles going around right now that I'm waiting until the full investigation is done to really believe anything. Just cause I've heard different people saying different things and being like "I read here blah blah" and so I dunno.

The only article that I did read said that the signals were working (they had been checked) and that they don't know for sure who was in control of the train at the time because they don't have voice recordings inside the engine room to know these things. But others on here have said other things. So ya anyways a lot is still unknown right now.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search