MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Go Train ID Taryn328 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-04-2010 02:50 PM
Go Bus / Train Help jordan23 General Discussion 2 09-11-2009 12:35 PM
GO Bus/Train to Scarborough niteskie First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-07-2009 11:43 AM

go train?

Old 07-09-2008 at 04:08 PM   #1
neff

Liked: 0 Times

go train?
how close is the mcmaster go train stop to the actual campus? sorry if this seems like a really dumb question, but im from way out in the country and im sopose to take the go to mcmaster tommrow for my academic advising appointment. thanks
Old 07-09-2008 at 04:12 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

There is a stop in the West Quad of campus.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-09-2008 at 08:09 PM   #3
Nosferatu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
There is a stop in the West Quad of campus.
I believe that you are thinking of the GO bus stop. To the OP, you'll need to take a bus from the GO train station.
Old 07-09-2008 at 08:29 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Yup! Force of habit, as I take GO bus home on weekends, and all routes start off via bus from campus.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-09-2008 at 10:16 PM   #5
spiotrowski

Does the GO bus run on weekends too?
Old 07-10-2008 at 09:37 AM   #6
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

In my experience, the GO bus doesn't come to campus on Saturdays, or till about 4ish on Sundays. But, GO service is generally majorly cut on weekends, just because it was originally a commuter service. If you want to come to campus via GO on a Saturday, you're pretty much forced to go the the main terminal downtown on James St, and take the city bus to campus.

also, @neff...
If you're taking the GO train, depending on how early you're coming to Hamilton, you'll be forced to get off the train in either Burlington (early in the morning) or Aldershot (later, like after 9 or 10 or so). Basically, take the train until you're told that you're at the end of the line. Once you get off the train, there should be GO buses in the parking lot of the station with different destinations on the front. Find one that says McMaster U, get on, show the driver your ticket, and you'll be taken straight to the GO bus stop beside Keyes residence.

Cristina_n13 says thanks to Sarah13 for this post.
Old 07-10-2008 at 10:55 AM   #7
summer

Liked: 1 Time

Check out the GO transit website. This page lists all the GO bus schedules. As you can see, there are several ways to get to either Downtown Hamilton or straight to Mac depending on where you are coming from. Just keep in mind that service is greatly reduced for the summer. While there is a bus that runs from Mississauga to campus on Sundays during the school year, it doesn't run in the summer.

However, you can take the train and bus (Schedule number 1 or 9) to travel to Hamilton on the weekends during the summer.
Old 07-10-2008 at 04:01 PM   #8
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I'm not sure where you're coming from, so it makes it hard to know if there is service available for you. You have to see which GO Train station is closest to you, and then check their website for available schedules. As far as I know, buses don't run on weekends. If you're coming from say Aldershot GO Train station, there is a bus that goes to Main St., about ten minutes walking distance from McMaster, and it continues onto Downtown Hamilton.

I know that buses run from York University to McMaster University as well.
Old 07-12-2008 at 11:32 AM   #9
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

McMaster GO Service
During the week, service is amazing. If you're a commuter student, you will be fine taking GO Transit.

Saturday service is non-existent at the present time - this is an issue that some McMaster students (outside of the MSU which has not cared about transit issues the last two years - this looks to have changed this year) have been lobbying government agencies on. We'll have to see in August when September service improvements are announced, there is a faint possibility of Saturday service.

407 services to Mississauga and York runs from about 5:30am until after midnight. Frequency is good especially at peak times.

Lakeshore service is good. Every regular train out of Union (i.e. the :43 departures) has a bus meet to McMaster expect very late at night. Service starts with the 06:13 departure from Union and continues until the 21:43 departure from Union.

Every regular train to Union (i.e. the :07 arrivals) has a bus from McMaster to connect to it. This service starts at 05:40 in the morning (with only one regular passenger and the odd person like me) and continues until last train at midnight.

In short, the service is great for commuter students and monthly fares cheaper than renting near campus.

Cristina_n13, spiotrowski all say thanks to fullsmash26 for this post.